Most Overrated Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
DoobieDoobieDo said:
How the hell is Mikko Koivu overrated? No one talks about him, most people think he's a bust...was it because he was taken pretty high in the draft and has a pretty nice upside?

Just my opinion, but people consider him overrated mainly because he was taken so high, when quite frankly, he might not have deserved it, except that he is Saku's brother. That, and the fact up until last season, he hadn't done a whole lot in Finland to justify being picked #6 overall.

Old Hickory

McDonald19 said:
Getzlaf is everything you could want in an NHL second line center.

Agreed. IF anything Getzlaf is underrated. I am not a Ducks fan by any stretch of the imagination, but The Ducks have a great prospect in Getzlaf. I am not looking forward to the Kings playing against him for the next 10 years.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:
As for overrated prospects, I'm really starting to have doubts about Cam Barker. I've seen him a few times now, I've yet to be impressed by anything other than his shot, and his effort really seems to be lacking a lot of the time (even in the Memorial Cup last year.) Calgary had a 15-year-old playing tonight, Alex Plante, who had a better defensive game than he did. I'm beginning to wonder if Barker isn't headed down the Steve McCarthy career path.

I started really worrying about him last year when I saw a few people who regularly watch Calgary say that his defensive game was so bad. Usually junior team fans completely over-hype their guys but it seemed the opposite with Barker. I really think he's got a real high bust chance.

Thank god the Caps won the lottery cause McPhee woulda been all over an offensive d-man from the W.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
kingsjohn said:
Agreed. IF anything Getzlaf is underrated. I am not a Ducks fan by any stretch of the imagination, but The Ducks have a great prospect in Getzlaf. I am not looking forward to the Kings playing against him for the next 10 years.

I agree. This kid doesn't get near the hype of alotta guys but if you look at his size with those stats I don't see bust at all. I'd sure love to have him w/ the Caps.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
outKast said:
Must be nice to contradict everything i said yet you have no substance to your argument. Over-rated does NOT mean untalented. When i say Crosby is over rated or even Kovalchuck is over rated...that is not me saying "That player is an untalented player", i'm saying theres a big buzz around the guy when there's no reason for it. (NO i don't think Corsby is over rated i was making a point). Lots of people are saying that Talbot has a real future, and have been mentioning him a lot around the boards. I can't even see the guy make the NHL.

Looks like your sticking your nose and places where you're not wanted. Before you say something why don't you read back a couple of threads. I can probably pop up 50 Talbot threads praising him.

Contradicting what you said? HOW?

Koltsov, Beech, and Lupaschuk aren't even prospects anymore, no one ever talks about Erik Christensen, and Maxime Talbot is purely opinion.

Where's the ****ing contradiction? Talbot, as a whole, isn't a hype prospect and the only people who talk about him are Penguins fans. Just because you don't think he'll do anything doesn't mean he's overrated.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
outKast said:
Officially: Chimera = faster than Koltsov. OFFICIAL. Until you measure your boy...Chimera is faster than him .

erm...huh?

Do you like to make sense at all? Chimera is faster than Koltsov because of a statistic?

The Penguins don't have a team skills competition like some teams do, the only way Koltsov will ever be officially clocked is if he makes it to an All Star game.

So, obviously, that means Koltsov's speed can't compare.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
hmm...

I'll bite.

Brooks Orpik is overrated. He has upside yes. But to be honest, he is so far away from having an offensive part of the game, I'm not sure it'll ever show up. But how some people talk about him, you'd think he's gods gift to defensemen. And I know the Pens were bad... but a -36!

Then we'll go to the immortal Michael Sivek, who would lead the league in points if he ever decided to play hard.
:shakehead

Exaggerations yes, but there have been some vast overations of many prospects. Those are two of the easier ones.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Grigorenko - Top 10 prospect....lol.....I wouldn't have him in my top 30. Its sad that he got an accident but thats no reason to cut him slack in his ohkcye profile.

Hudler - A problem child. All he does is showboat on the ice, everything is about him. He can get 100 points in the AHL but when he gets to the NHL and realizes people hit harder, are faster then he won't do anything. His teamates will probably beat him before the opposing team.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Chimaera said:
hmm...

I'll bite.

Brooks Orpik is overrated. He has upside yes. But to be honest, he is so far away from having an offensive part of the game, I'm not sure it'll ever show up. But how some people talk about him, you'd think he's gods gift to defensemen. And I know the Pens were bad... but a -36!

Then we'll go to the immortal Michael Sivek, who would lead the league in points if he ever decided to play hard.
:shakehead

Exaggerations yes, but there have been some vast overations of many prospects. Those are two of the easier ones.

Orpik has no offensive game at all, that is known. Defensively, as a rookie, he was the best defensive defenseman the Penguins have had since Ulf Samuelsson's prime. His -36 can be blamed on ice time, his team, and the fact his linemates weren't exactly the greatest(Marc Bergevin and Dan Focht all season). Orpik gets no press anyways, hard to be overrated when you're barely rated.

Sivek was definitely overrated though. I have no doubt he'd be a good player if he ever put his head to it, but he's just too home sick, I can't see him playing in North America again.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Orpik has no offensive game at all, that is known. Defensively, as a rookie, he was the best defensive defenseman the Penguins have had since Ulf Samuelsson's prime. His -36 can be blamed on ice time, his team, and the fact his linemates weren't exactly the greatest(Marc Bergevin and Dan Focht all season). Orpik gets no press anyways, hard to be overrated when you're barely rated.

Sivek was definitely overrated though. I have no doubt he'd be a good player if he ever put his head to it, but he's just too home sick, I can't see him playing in North America again.
From what I seen and heard Orpik was known for being poor with the puck in his own end. Throwing it up the middle or just plain giveaways along the boards. If you guys had noone better then Ulf in that time period.....poor penguins.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Grigorenko - Top 10 prospect....lol.....I wouldn't have him in my top 30. Its sad that he got an accident but thats no reason to cut him slack in his ohkcye profile.
If he can recover from that accident, he's easily a top 20 prospect. He was highly touted before it happened, it's not like people were sympathetic and decided to rate him high because he was in a car accident.

Hudler - A problem child. All he does is showboat on the ice, everything is about him. He can get 100 points in the AHL but when he gets to the NHL and realizes people hit harder, are faster then he won't do anything. His teamates will probably beat him before the opposing team.
Agree 100%. If he doesn't mature, Hudler will get the **** pounded out of him by guys like Wade Belak and Jody Shelley.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
JasonMacIsaac said:
From what I seen and heard Orpik was known for being poor with the puck in his own end. Throwing it up the middle or just plain giveaways along the boards. If you guys had noone better then Ulf in that time period.....poor penguins.

Don't know what you've been watching, Orpik almost never turns it over, he's a very smart defenseman who almost never makes stupid mistakes.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'll say that Ryan Whitney will be a bust; I have a couple of friends in the college game and both don't like him at all. He's got the look but not the game. I've seen him play a few times and he was alright but I'm no scout. Both did like another Pens prospect Orpik better but they also said he has limitations but should be at worst a 5-6 guy and maybe even a tad better.

Reilly311

TML said:
Marc Andre Fleury.

yeah, he only won the rookie of the month award in his first 10 or so starts in the NHL. He's not even a grown man yet.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Lard_Lad said:
As for overrated prospects, I'm really starting to have doubts about Cam Barker. I've seen him a few times now, I've yet to be impressed by anything other than his shot, and his effort really seems to be lacking a lot of the time (even in the Memorial Cup last year.) Calgary had a 15-year-old playing tonight, Alex Plante, who had a better defensive game than he did. I'm beginning to wonder if Barker isn't headed down the Steve McCarthy career path.

I have to be honest, while I like the Hawks enough... Barker and 'Brook look dissapointing this year... Seabrook last year as well... I dunno... I think he will be a #5 at best unless he get's his head out of his ass. Barker could still be a beauty -but I can't help but feel underwhelmed when I watch him.

JackDaniel

Dec 14, 2003
DoobieDoobieDo said:
How the hell is Mikko Koivu overrated? No one talks about him, most people think he's a bust...was it because he was taken pretty high in the draft and has a pretty nice upside?

I dont think he have a great future in the NHL, however I tough the same when I saw his name on the list...

If he is over rated, he will probably be playing in a beer league soon!!! lol

If there is something, he probably pass from an overrated prospect in the year following in draft year to an underated one now.

JD

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reilly311 said:
Post yours!

In no particular order:

1. Mike Richards
2. Jeff Carter
3. Boris Valabik
4. Corey Perry
5. Robbie Schremp
6. Carlo Colaiacovo
7. Milan Michalek
8. Wojtek Wolski
9. Braydon Coburn
10. Mikko Koivu
11. Ryan Getzlaf
12. Ray Emery
13. Pascal Leclaire
14. Brent Seabrook

:)

Of course no Penguins could possibly make that list.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reilly311 said:
Like who? Don't even say Malkin is overrated because I KNOW no one has ever watched him play.

If NO ONE has ever watched him play but yet he was drafted 2nd overall then sure he is overrated.

That said Malkin isn't overrated, although Pens fan do managed to get carried away. Ryan Whitney is overrated bigtime from Pens fans as well as Fleury at times. One guy that is underrated on the Pens is Noah Welch.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Whitney's existance doesn't even seem to be acknowledged by fans of the other 29 teams here.

He may be overrated by some markets, but definitely not here.

When I see Whitney's name mentioned as a No. 1 defenseman, he becomes overrated in my book and I've seen that posted quite a bit. Don't get me wrong...I think he's a helluva dman but I don't think being in the upper echelon of defensemen are in the cards for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad