Most Overrated Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Hero of Tragedy said:
Of course no Penguins could possibly make that list.
Well of the 14, 10 are Canadian, 3 are Euro's, and 1 American.

It has nothing to do with bias, obviously.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
outKast said:
Must be nice seeing the Penguins being annual contenders for the cup huh? It must be nice to see you team win so many games.
Please, the Pens had 3 bad years. They made the playoffs 12 years in a row, won 2 cups, had the 2nd highest win% in the 90s(behind the wings), the best offense in the 90s, had the leading scorer pretty much every year, while your leafs have been stuck in mediocrity for the last 35 years. What exactly do you have against the pens?

As for the thread, Fleury is still very raw, but the potential that is there is unbelievable, as anyone who saw him play in October could tell you. People from Russia have been raving about Malkin and how great of a player he is, so i don't see how that makes him overrated. Guys like Talbot, Stone, and Welch are underrated if anything. What's up with the Penguin bashing?

two out of three*

Is Marc-Andre Fleury overrated because he had a few bad starts in the NHL? Or because he muffed that goal in the WJC's? Ok, well first of all the Penguins are the WORST team in the league.. its hard to be good when you play goalie for the WORST team in the league.

I actually like the Penguins, but the standings prove that they.. well... suck.

JackDaniel

Dec 14, 2003
I cant see how Getzlaf, Koivu and Leclaire are overated... Most of poeples think they will be bust!!!

My picks, for those I've seen play.

Higgins...
Dont get me wrog. I do think he will be a usefull tool in any team in the NHL, but he's nowhere near the offensive potential we seem to think he have in MTL...

Komisarek... not a prospect I kno, but still in developement
Some see Hatcher... I see Matvichuck... maybe a little bit higher...

Most underated

Perezhoggin
I know he is already hyped pretty much...
Bu I think this guy will become something special. He is really mature defensively and he his alwas creating something having the puck or not. In my opinion the best player with the Dogs last year... However just saw about 5 games and having reports from a friend there...

JD

Reilly311

Hero of Tragedy said:
If NO ONE has ever watched him play but yet he was drafted 2nd overall then sure he is overrated.

:lol

thats the worse reasoning ever.

Reilly311

Dark Metamorphosis said:
What's up with the Penguin bashing?

Since everyone hates me and I live in Pittsburgh, they assume I'm a pens fan and that I'm biased against pens prospects or something.

a89mogilny89

A few locals that are overrated:
Jeff Jillson, Christian Ehrhoff.

Jillson never panned out, yet some still could consider him a top tier defenseman at the NHL level. I don't know how poor skating and no puck control can impress someone, maybe I'm not looking hard enough at his impressive ability.

Ehrhoff is a great defenseman for Cleveland, but hasn't lived up to his greatness status yet. Just has to work out a few mechanics on accurate shooting (can never really let go of his slap shot when he's covered) and he'd probably do well at a pro level.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Post yours!

In no particular order:

1. Mike Richards
2. Jeff Carter
3. Boris Valabik
4. Corey Perry
5. Robbie Schremp
6. Carlo Colaiacovo
7. Milan Michalek
8. Wojtek Wolski
9. Braydon Coburn
10. Mikko Koivu
11. Ryan Getzlaf
12. Ray Emery
13. Pascal Leclaire
14. Brent Seabrook

:)

How are most of these guys overrated? Guys like Richards, Perry, Coburn, Koivu, Getzlaf, Emery, Leclaire, and Seabrook don't get nearly the recognition they deserve, and guys like Carter, Colaiacovo, Michalek, and Wolski aren't overrated at all in my books. The only two I agree on are Valabik, and that's more because he was a higher pick than he should've been, and Schremp.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
The one guy that stands out in my mind as overrated, judging by draft position and fan hype, is Alvaro Montoya. Good goalie, not a great one tho.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Why is Leclaire on your list of "most overrated prospects"? He gets bashed in every goalie poll and list, no on is rating him high...so...how can he be overrated?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Reilly311 said:
Since everyone hates me and I live in Pittsburgh, they assume I'm a pens fan and that I'm biased against pens prospects or something.

The real people who know and understand about hockey don't hate you, see they don't really know or care about you. Yes, some of the grown-up ones who don't still live with their moms worry that you would be so filled with self-doubt that you would spend all your time trolling for trouble, in the world of fantasy. But if you can make yourself feel like a "tough guy" by typing "overrated" and "piece of crap" over and over again to make yourself feel better, have at it.. ;)

Reilly311

Bring Back Bucky said:
The real people who know and understand about hockey don't hate you, see they don't really know or care about you.

Then I guess no one (except myself of course) knows or understands hockey.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I'm not sure about a top 10, but I'll say that Andrei Kostsitsyn is, in my mind, the most overrated prospect around here. Then again, that's partially due to a select few Habs fans pencilling him in for the Habs first line when the lockout ends.

Others I think get more press than they deserve:

- Lukas Krajicek
- Robert Nilsson
- Hugh Jessiman
- Devyn Dubnyk
- Kirill Koltsov
- Pascal Leclaire

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
I'm not sure about a top 10, but I'll say that Andrei Kostsitsyn is, in my mind, the most overrated prospect around here. Then again, that's partially due to a select few Habs fans pencilling him in for the Habs first line when the lockout ends.

Others I think get more press than they deserve:

- Lukas Krajicek
- Robert Nilsson
- Hugh Jessiman
- Devyn Dubnyk
- Kirill Koltsov
- Pascal Leclaire

As a Habs fans, I agree and I am not convinced about Kostitsyn as he is definitely being hyped up. I do not presently consider him to be 1st line material when the lockout ends and I have my doubts that he will live up to expectations. Montreal management often describe him as one of the top 3 talents in the 2003 draft but I would certainly have picked more than 3 players before even thinking about picking him.

Another player that in my mind gets hyped up way too much is Corey Locke. I just don't see him in the NHL yet I get the impression from various posters that this guy is like a first-second round prospect and was amazed that he apparently obtained a reasonable signing bonus. Is this common for such a late pick (4-5 th round in 2003)? I allways seem to recall that only 1st round picks get signing bonuses and not necesarilly everybody in the 1st round.

leafaholix*

Andrei Kostsitsyn
Corey Locke
Brent Seabrook
Jiri Hudler
Brent Burns
Kirill Koltsov
Corey Perry
Steve Bernier
Ivan Khomutov (by Mac)
Ryan Whitney
Braydon Coburn
Boris Valabik
Andrew Ladd

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Some overrated ones who come to mind, though certainly not necessarily the MOST overrated:

Kostitsyn - I do think he'll be good, but he does get an awful lot of attention because of his health issues
Fleury - Hasn't proven he can be clutch yet, but his skillset is certainly there
Grigorenko - Will be decent, but again, got a lot of attention because of his accident
Montoya - He's a safe pick for a goaltender; but let's remember he wasn't the planned starter for the WJC, that was Howard, who was injured. I just don't think he will be that impresive.
Pushkarev - Right now Kings fans (including myself) are fawning over him. Plus, I figured I'd add some objectivity by putting in a prospect from one of my favorite team so nobody feels "targeted."
Seabrook - Expected to be a solid d-man for the Hawks... but has been pretty unspectacular
Lupul - Not a Ducks fans by any means, but I would take Getzlaf and Perry over Lupul, easily.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
kingsjohn said:
Agreed. IF anything Getzlaf is underrated. I am not a Ducks fan by any stretch of the imagination, but The Ducks have a great prospect in Getzlaf. I am not looking forward to the Kings playing against him for the next 10 years.

Ditto to everything that you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad