Most Overrated Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

King'sPawn said:
Some overrated ones who come to mind, though certainly not necessarily the MOST overrated:

Grigorenko - Will be decent, but again, got a lot of attention because of his accident
One of the most ignorant comments ever.

He was rated as the #1 prospect one month prior to the accident.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Some overrated ones who come to mind, though certainly not necessarily the MOST overrated:

Kostitsyn - I do think he'll be good, but he does get an awful lot of attention because of his health issues
Fleury - Hasn't proven he can be clutch yet, but his skillset is certainly there
Grigorenko - Will be decent, but again, got a lot of attention because of his accident
Montoya - He's a safe pick for a goaltender; but let's remember he wasn't the planned starter for the WJC, that was Howard, who was injured. I just don't think he will be that impresive.
Pushkarev - Right now Kings fans (including myself) are fawning over him. Plus, I figured I'd add some objectivity by putting in a prospect from one of my favorite team so nobody feels "targeted."
Seabrook - Expected to be a solid d-man for the Hawks... but has been pretty unspectacular
Lupul - Not a Ducks fans by any means, but I would take Getzlaf and Perry over Lupul, easily.

Perry over Lupul? Ouch. Even Getzlaf vs. Lupul is close, and Lupul would probably win. He looks like he'll have a nice future ahead of him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Leafaholix said:
One of the most ignorant comments ever.

He was rated as the #1 prospect one month prior to the accident.

Hey, here's a suggestion...

If you want to have some sort of intelligent discussion, don't act like a tool and be rude just because you strongly disagree with something someone says. Especially when that person has given rationale, was non-flammatory, and had precluded his post by saying "not the MOST overrated prospects, but prospects that come to mind, and here's why."

Otherwise, you get what you're getting now: a defensive post saying what a jackass you're acting like, instead of just my extensive reasoning, which is this:

Grigorenko was the #1 prospect one month prior to the accident... yet you decidedly omit the fact he was the #1 prospect of the WINGS. Big difference in the choice of wording; either way, it doesn't matter where he was on the prospect chart for one team when we encompass ALL the prospects. There are 30 teams, and each team has a best prospect. That doesn't automatically warrant a high rating if a team's depth sucks (and I'm not saying anything about Detroit's depth, just saying being the best one team doesn't automatically make that person a great prospect).

The point is, since the injury, Grigorenko's got more attention than I think is warranted; one of my personal definitions of overrated. Now in a short time, when the whole injury deal is just a distant memory, he probably will earn every bit of attention he gets.

Now if you wish to continue to be rude, by all means, go ahead. I've given you plenty of reasoning and disclaimers because I know how sensitive people get about their favorite teams/players. If you want to correct/enlighten me with some more information, without being a jerk about it, I'd be more receptive to the idea of changing my opinion.

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Perry over Lupul? Ouch. Even Getzlaf vs. Lupul is close, and Lupul would probably win. He looks like he'll have a nice future ahead of him.
Okay, maybe not easily :) I just don't think Getzlaf and Perry get much love around here. Getzlaf is pretty much the cornerstone of the Hitmen's top line; Ladd, Getzlaf, and Pushkarev all seem to help each other elevate their play. Perry has been a beast for the 10-0-0 London Knights.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
King'sPawn said:

If you want to have some sort of intelligent discussion, don't act like a tool and be rude just because you strongly disagree with something someone says. Especially when that person has given rationale, was non-flammatory, and had precluded his post by saying "not the MOST overrated prospects, but prospects that come to mind, and here's why."

Otherwise, you get what you're getting now: a defensive post saying what a jackass you're acting like, instead of just my extensive reasoning, which is this:

Grigorenko was the #1 prospect one month prior to the accident... yet you decidedly omit the fact he was the #1 prospect of the WINGS. Big difference in the choice of wording; either way, it doesn't matter where he was on the prospect chart for one team when we encompass ALL the prospects. There are 30 teams, and each team has a best prospect. That doesn't automatically warrant a high rating if a team's depth sucks (and I'm not saying anything about Detroit's depth, just saying being the best one team doesn't automatically make that person a great prospect).

The point is, since the injury, Grigorenko's got more attention than I think is warranted; one of my personal definitions of overrated. Now in a short time, when the whole injury deal is just a distant memory, he probably will earn every bit of attention he gets.

Now if you wish to continue to be rude, by all means, go ahead. I've given you plenty of reasoning and disclaimers because I know how sensitive people get about their favorite teams/players. If you want to correct/enlighten me with some more information, without being a jerk about it, I'd be more receptive to the idea of changing my opinion.

What you are failing to appreciate is that Grigorenko has been on the radar screen for a lot longer than you think, even if you personally weren't aware. He's been regarded as one of the best prospects in the world for years, and if anything is getting shat on way too much post-injury when other players who have suffered bad injuries don't get punished nearly as much. Getting attention doesn't make you overrated when most of it is "update on Grigorenko's condition" and so on. When Igor torched Canada during the WJCs, that's when he get lots of positive attention.

leafaholix*

King'sPawn said:

I appologize if I came off as a jackass, but your comment came off as ignorant.

Igor Grigorenko was at one time (prior to the accident) one of the top prospects in hockey according to HF.com. It's not because he was Detroit's #1 prospect that he was rated that high, but because as an 18 year old he scored 17 points in the Russian Super League and followed that up with 29 points as a 19 year old and he tore up the WJC in 2003.

If you were to actually watch him during the 2003 tournament, you'd know exactly why he was getting the attention. Grigorenko was arguably the best player in the tournament and looked like a man among boys on the ice. People around here knew of Igor Grigorenko well before May of 2003, he may have gotten more attention with the online news websites, but not around here (atleast not since I've been here).

I wasn't being rude, your comment was ignorant. It came of as if you were implying that his almost tragic accident has given him unwarrented attention in the hockey community (with fans). No, that's not the case. He was a notable fan prior to the accident.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Chaos said:
Just my opinion, but people consider him overrated mainly because he was taken so high, when quite frankly, he might not have deserved it, except that he is Saku's brother. That, and the fact up until last season, he hadn't done a whole lot in Finland to justify being picked #6 overall.

What on earth is this guy babbling about?!? Mikko Koivu played 21 games in the FEL with TPS and 26 games with A-juniors in 2000-2001. Did you see Lauri Tukonen or Petteri Nokelainen score up a lot of points in the FEL year before their draft?!? NO! No one did! Mikko Played only a few minutes per game, when he was playing in the FEL as a 4th line center. He had 9+36=45 in those 26 junior games. I'd also like to remind you, that TPS is one of the biggest clubs in Finland. Not so easy to break in to the group when you're 17 years old. :p: :banghead:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Hercules Rockefeller said:

Agreed...Lupul has already established himself in the NHL and looks to be a future 30 goal scorer...Perry is just a junior star...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Leafaholix said:
I wasn't being rude, your comment was ignorant. It came of as if you were implying that his almost tragic accident has given him unwarrented attention in the hockey community (with fans). No, that's not the case. He was a notable fan prior to the accident.

Saying my remark was one of the most ignorant comments ever is rude, no matter how you slice it. Either way, I admit I was wrong in not recognizing how highly he was touted before the injury. Thus, thanks to both you and Epsilon for shedding some light. I stand corrected, and thus he's off my mental list of overrated prospects :)

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Brodie562 said:
by the way, what is Grigorenkos status?

Recently demoted to the next lower league in Russia. He was getting 3rd line minutes, playing in a checking role but now that Dainus Zubrus is on the team he would have either been put on the 4th line or been a scratch.
He would have been behind Alex Semin, Dainus Zubrus, Yuri Butsayev and Viktor Kozlov.

His coach also said something about the effects of the crash being visible and that his movements at this point and time were inferior. That I do not like at all, but it'll take some time for him to get even just some of his speed back.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
That was before the accident. Injuries affected his play and skills, which should drop him a large amount. Right now he is an undersized 21 year old who according to hockeydb has 0 points in his first 11 games with an undicipline 31 PIM in that period.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
JasonMacIsaac said:
That was before the accident. Injuries affected his play and skills, which should drop him a large amount. Right now he is an undersized 21 year old who according to hockeydb has 0 points in his first 11 games with an undicipline 31 PIM in that period.

But remember, he was drafted by Detroit ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ouch Leafs, Burns? WTF? No one thinks this kid was worth the pick but, as we all know, WE AREN'T COACHES OR OWNERS OR TALENT SCOUTS that see things in players that we don't see.

Burns has already had 7 shots and 1 goal in the AHL in two games. That's pretty good. He wasn't shooting as much as a forward and I hope that those shots will be turned into assists and goals but the main thing is, he's at least shooting the puck and trying to score or create an opprotunity.

If Burns is overrated I think Carlo is too.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Epsilon said:
Keep telling yourself that and ignoring the numbers he put up. In addition to dominating the WJCs, his RSL numbers in 2002-2003 were spectacular.

And then not playing in 2003-2004(according to hockeydb.com) and now pointless in 11 games so far this year.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Chaos said:
And then not playing in 2003-2004(according to hockeydb.com) and now pointless in 11 games so far this year.

And that has what to do with last year's ranking, which you imply is purely based on some nonexistent bias in the staff?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Epsilon said:
And that has what to do with last year's ranking, which you imply is purely based on some nonexistent bias in the staff?

He didnt play at all last year, but was still ranked #7. I'd have no problem with him being ranked that high if it was right after his 2003-2003 season, or if he had played last year and put up similar numbers. The fact that he didnt play and was still in the top 10 is my only issue.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Chaos said:
He didnt play at all last year, but was still ranked #7. I'd have no problem with him being ranked that high if it was right after his 2003-2003 season, or if he had played last year and put up similar numbers. The fact that he didnt play and was still in the top 10 is my only issue.

Ranking prospects isn't just about comparing numbers, it's about projecting into the future. I don't care that Milan Michalek was injured for this entire season, he's a top 10 prospect regardless.

Sammy*

Epsilon said:
I think his point is that by the very fact he had such a serious injury, this alone should have tanked his rating . Then I think he uses what he has done since his accident to say he was right in the first instance (which all has merit).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Epsilon said:
Ranking prospects isn't just about comparing numbers, it's about projecting into the future. I don't care that Milan Michalek was injured for this entire season, he's a top 10 prospect regardless.

Well the fact that he didnt play last year, and is pointless so far this year, should(and hopefully will) be factored into the rankings this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad