Proposal: Morgan Rielly+Kapanen+1st for McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Ridiculously bad for the Leafs.

No kidding. Awful.

And since when did Reilly become chopped liver :help:

As far as the haters that proposed Marner and Nylander, Keep ****ing dreaming, they are untouchable.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
didnt realize McD only had 2 years left... ye this is horrible for the leafs. Would rather Rielly than 2 years of McD (since he wont be resigning in Tor). Adding Kap and a first is a joke.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nylander AND Marner ??

Cmon now.....McD is good but that would just be extreme overpayment.

163.gif

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This is the kinda deal that the leafs should do. They get a very #1D without losing one of the big 3. And one that Lou might consider. But the leafs fans will never go for it.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
This is the kinda deal that the leafs should do. They get a very #1D without losing one of the big 3. And one that Lou might consider. But the leafs fans will never go for it.

You're dreaming if you think Lou would actually consider this. This thread is not an example of Leaf fans overrating their players. It's an example of a ridiculous overpayment and is completely unrealistic. I'm not going to claim Rielly is a #1D right now, but the guy is still only 23, already very good and has lots of room to grow. Last year was his draft+5 year. Was McDonough the d-man he is now in his draft+5 year? No. Any comment thinking Rielly is done developing is ridiculous. Look at Gardiner; he was an absolute stud last year in his breakout season and that was his draft+10. It's a cliche that d-men take longer to develop but it's also true. The impatience of fans on here is infuriating sometimes

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
didnt realize McD only had 2 years left... ye this is horrible for the leafs. Would rather Rielly than 2 years of McD (since he wont be resigning in Tor). Adding Kap and a first is a joke.

I was gonna post this... read through the whole thread and you're the first person to mention this.

McDonagh is only signed for 2 more years at $4.7.

Rielly is signed for 5 years at $5.0.

This fact alone makes Rielly more valuable at the moment.

Also, since Rielly was drafted here and he played his whole career here, it is reasonable to assume that he might re-sign with the Leafs at a fair price. No reason to think that McDonagh would have any loyalty to the Leafs when his contract is up.

I wouldn't do Rielly for McDonagh straight up, let alone adding Kapanen and a 1st.

If anything, it would make more sense for Gardiner to be going the other way since his contract is up in 2 years also (with a $4.05 cap hit). However, Gardiner is better than McDonagh anyways... so I'll keep the better player.

Anyways... Rangers are old and on the downswing. They know this. Leafs will win their division while the Rangers will be lucky to get a wild card spot. Rielly and Gardiner are going to start getting the respect they deserve when they shine in the playoffs.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Due to age and contract, Rielly has more value than Mcd currently.

What's it gonna take to resign McD? 7.5 x7? Not worth it.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
Habs fan OP should know by now that the going rate for Ryan McDonagh is Scott Gomez.

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Due to age and contract, Rielly has more value than Mcd currently.

What's it gonna take to resign McD? 7.5 x7? Not worth it.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think it would depend on where the team is. A contending team that has some cap space is probably more interested in McDonagh more than Rielly.

That being said the Leafs would be much more interested in Rielly. He is a cheaper option, still developing and is in the right age bracket for the Leafs going forward.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I was gonna post this... read through the whole thread and you're the first person to mention this.

McDonagh is only signed for 2 more years at $4.7.

Rielly is signed for 5 years at $5.0.

This fact alone makes Rielly more valuable at the moment.

Also, since Rielly was drafted here and he played his whole career here, it is reasonable to assume that he might re-sign with the Leafs at a fair price. No reason to think that McDonagh would have any loyalty to the Leafs when his contract is up.

I wouldn't do Rielly for McDonagh straight up, let alone adding Kapanen and a 1st.

If anything, it would make more sense for Gardiner to be going the other way since his contract is up in 2 years also (with a $4.05 cap hit). However, Gardiner is better than McDonagh anyways... so I'll keep the better player.

Anyways... Rangers are old and on the downswing. They know this. Leafs will win their division while the Rangers will be lucky to get a wild card spot. Rielly and Gardiner are going to start getting the respect they deserve when they shine in the playoffs.

Lol wait Gardiner is better than McD now?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think it would depend on where the team is. A contending team that has some cap space is probably more interested in McDonagh more than Rielly.

That being said the Leafs would be much more interested in Rielly. He is a cheaper option, still developing and is in the right age bracket for the Leafs going forward.

Correct, I meant from Toronto's perspective.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Lol wait Gardiner is better than McD now?

Last year, Gardiner had more goals, more points, and a better plus/minus (despite the Leafs having a much lower goal differential).

Gardiner is ridiculously underrated. People will take more notice of him this year though when the Leafs are one of the top teams in the East.

Gardiner can also dominate in the playoffs (especially if the games go into OT and 2OT, etc.)... and he will get to showcase that this year during our cup run.

By the end of the year, it will be obvious to everyone that Gardiner is better than McDonagh.

edit: did a quick google search for a list of the best NHL defensemen ... and McDonagh came in at 23 with Gardiner at 24. Not saying this list is gospel or anything... but according to this list, they are basically the same at the moment.

https://www.nhl.com/news/fantasy-hockey-top-50-defenseman-rankings-for-2017-18/c-282830728

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad