Proposal: Morgan Rielly+Kapanen+1st for McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
By now its quite clear Morgan Rielly will never be a number 1 d-man, this trades makes the Leafs better now and in the future. The Rangers get younger and build their D around Brady Skjei and get 2 assets in return for giving up their captain. Let me know what you think

Can you please stop with these?:shakehead

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Can you even read?

"23 year old defencemen don't trend down". Phaneuf trended down and robbed the leafs management somehow of an overinflated contract.

Read the top of the post you quoted, I'm sure a little bit of common sense would help you understand why I arrived to the post I graced you with.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
"23 year old defencemen don't trend down". Phaneuf trended down and robbed the leafs management somehow of an overinflated contract.

Read the top of the post you quoted, I'm sure a little bit of common sense would help you understand why I arrived to the post I graced you with.

Last I checked, Phanuef wasn't the captain of the Rangers or the Sens....you know, the two posters you quoted.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
By now its quite clear Morgan Rielly will never be a number 1 d-man, this trades makes the Leafs better now and in the future. The Rangers get younger and build their D around Brady Skjei and get 2 assets in return for giving up their captain. Let me know what you think

good first effort dies there b'c McD commands more.
but ok for starting pt

Why is NYR even considering this?

To get NYRs captain and best player,, who they don't want to trade, it needs to be an irresistible game changing offer, such the McKinnon proposals, which at least get one thinking,

from Leafs that would mean Marner, which Leads won't want to do

Reilly is probably one of the top 30 really good young D, that the league has become rich with lately, but not an asset a team would reinvent their team for

I disagree. You are demanding massive overpayment unless the return is special.
I agree the return has to be special, or, in acceptable currency as to fit our goals.
I agree we do not otherwise trade him
That said, premium overpayment is fine, does not have to be massive.

btw, imo what I am pushing for and what I think GMJG wants, is an elc or younger guy on long term contract who has value and some potential, plus futures.
So Seguin, outstanding but contract ends in 2 yrs, does not get McD, neither does Duchene. MacK does cause he is on a reasonable contract w/like 4 years left

remember, we may be fine right now, but we have no depth due to the stupid win now overreaches of Clowe, EStaal, etc. We need to continue to have cap space by removing senior vets so we can extend the young core for the smallest number possible.

The original offer doesn't do anything for me, but McDonagh isn't getting Nylander AND Marner.

I'd say McDonagh for one of Nylander or Marner and a small add is a solid deal.

Concur

Stop feeding the troll and stop quoting him.
Hey, one who has chosen to go by the proverbial mark of the beast, we still promote free speech here.

This isn't bad value and I'm not sold on Rielly at all. I dont think I'd do it honestly I'd rather have Nylander or Marner(obviously Matthews is a no go) Nylander and Marner is way too much. I'd be fine 1 for 1 McDonagh for Nylander if Bill Ny can stick to center and depending on if Skjei can maintain his play. Rielly+Kap+1st is not a bad offer but is one that doesn't interest me

Staal or no, we are overstocked at LD.
If return is in preferred currency, we should not turn down a very good deal unless we are certain to get a spectacular one, and even then, don't want to hold cards too long, like Slats did w/Talbot.
We should do this regardless of Skjei, and most say he can fill those shoes already.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Leafs are gonna need wingers when jvr and bozak leave (nylander would move to centre I assume, which would open up a hole at top line rw). Even komarov might not return. And besides the rangers tried to fix their defence this off-season; why would they trade their captain and best defenseman. Also draft picks don't mean much to them as they are competing for a cup.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It might help the Leafs this year because McDonagh is better. But still it's just replacing one LHD with another. Kapanen might be JVRs replacement next year.
I don't think the Rangers do the deal either cause they are in another year of "win mode"

Can never understand and I don't the writers do either when they classify players as a # 1, 2 etc.
Reilly played the most minutes of any Leaf Dman. Played against the teams top lines. So that's pretty well # 1 Dman minutes in any book (yes he isn't as good as McDonagh)

Can't understand why folks say the Leaf have such a terrible defence. Gee they finished in the playoffs and I believe had 9 fewer points than the Rangers.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I know leafs fans love to overestimate their players (who doesnt) but Im confused. We can all agree McD is alot better than Rielly, right? And that gap is greater than a prospect like Kapanen. Thats just my opinion from a neutral fan. I would never hesitate doing this trade were I the Leafs. You guys need to watch McD and appreciate what he brings. Hes a legit #1D.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I've been seeing you make a lot of asinine hot takes when it comes to the Leafs lately.
Little early in your HF career for that, bud.

What do you expect from a Leaf hating Oiler homer. He said in another thread that Kailer Yamamoto is better than Marner...LOL. His entire schtick is going into Leaf related trade threads to tell everybody how bad all Leaf players are without giving any concrete facts to back up his assertions. But I digress.

As for the trade proposal, yeah... no thanks. Keep McD.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Surprised people stop take McSpaghetti Monster seriously and reply to him. Even his username is a trolling reference.

He is just trying to stir the pot, don't feed the fire with a response

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I know leafs fans love to overestimate their players (who doesnt) but Im confused. We can all agree McD is alot better than Rielly, right? And that gap is greater than a prospect like Kapanen. Thats just my opinion from a neutral fan. I would never hesitate doing this trade were I the Leafs. You guys need to watch McD and appreciate what he brings. Hes a legit #1D.

How long is McD signed for? How much will the huge cost increase be that would need to be resigned in the near future. To summarize, how would the Leafs resign Matthew, Marner and McD (to name a few) in the same year. Makes no sense.

Leafs obviously keep their 22 year old top 4 defender (signed long term to a cheap deal) who will improve in the future espeically after getting some of the hardest minutes in the league as well as a borderline blue chip prospect and a 1st in a stacked draft.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Okay, hence why the IF is there

McDonagh won't be traded to scraps, so IF there was a scenario where your teams management wanted him, they're moving one of Nylander/Marner

that's sort of a silly word to use to describe a 1st round pick, a top 30 prospect and a 23yo top pairing defenseman on a sweetheart contract

it's fine to say you wouldn't do the deal, stuff like this is how flame wars start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad