Proposal: Morgan Rielly+Kapanen+1st for McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
There WON'T be any scenario if that is the asking price.

You have no way of knowing that unless you are running the team

Now Rielly + Kapp + 1st are scraps :laugh:

that's sort of a silly word to use to describe a 1st round pick, a top 30 prospect and a 23yo top pairing defenseman on a sweetheart contract

it's fine to say you wouldn't do the deal, stuff like this is how flame wars start

I never said the offer was scraps. You made that assumption. And go ahead Leafs fans, swarm me with your ********

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
23 year old d men dont trend down. Ridiculous comment.

Skjei and Reilly are the same age... See how ridiculous this thread looks. How is one able to be built around while the other is trending down. Hf Typical.

Love Reilly, but he was a minus 30 something last season. Jake Gardiner was better.
Leafs say no to this trade. Trading Reilly, while his value is low, is a bad idea.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I never said the offer was scraps. You made that assumption. And go ahead Leafs fans, swarm me with your ********

I think anyone can assume that a #1Dman in his 20's isn't going to be traded for actual scraps. When you say something like that without qualifying it in a trade thread, it looks like you're talking about the OP (which should be obvious). If that's not what you intended, next time you should clarify to avoid these kinds of misunderstandings

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
23 year old d men dont trend down. Ridiculous comment.

Love Reilly, but he was a minus 30 something last season. Jake Gardiner was better.
Leafs say no to this trade. Trading Reilly, while his value is low, is a bad idea.

Take a look at the QoC of the Zaitsev/Rielly pairing. Played some of the most minutes in the league against top line opposition as a rookie and a 22 year old. Plus/minus also isn't the greatest stats to use to diminish a players value.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I know leafs fans love to overestimate their players (who doesnt) but Im confused. We can all agree McD is alot better than Rielly, right? And that gap is greater than a prospect like Kapanen. Thats just my opinion from a neutral fan. I would never hesitate doing this trade were I the Leafs. You guys need to watch McD and appreciate what he brings. Hes a legit #1D.

Easily. Doubt Rielly ever becomes as good as McDonagh, let alone a 1D

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You have no way of knowing that unless you are running the team

I know that this management group values Marner and Nylander VERY HIGHLY, and more likely alot more than they would of Ryan McDonaugh and his hefty contract. And I also know that Mike Babcock has a large say on who he wants on this team, and he LOVES both Marner and Nylander. So this is why I am 99.99% certain that Marner and Nylander will be here for the long-term, and not used as a potential trade chip to address a team weakness.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
How long is McD signed for? How much will the huge cost increase be that would need to be resigned in the near future. To summarize, how would the Leafs resign Matthew, Marner and McD (to name a few) in the same year. Makes no sense.

Leafs obviously keep their 22 year old top 4 defender (signed long term to a cheap deal) who will improve in the future espeically after getting some of the hardest minutes in the league as well as a borderline blue chip prospect and a 1st in a stacked draft.

fair enough but stop ****ing on McD cuz u dont like the deal. I was looking at it from a pure value POV, not team needs.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers pass. Leafs pass. This trade doesn't help either team.

EDIT: I actually didn't see the 1st round pick at first. I still don't think I do it since it doesn't help us right now.

Truth be told, we need to see how our defense is this year first. How McDonagh performs through-out the year not with Girardi. He's not being moved this year unless it's such an unrealistic offer. So, no, the pieces aren't scraps, but the pieces aren't must-have players where we would move McDonagh this year.

Last edited:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Rielly is not very good, and while still young doesn't seem to have much hockey sense. Regardless, he would not be the main piece going back. Either marner and nylander or Matthews + 3rd would entice nyr to trade him.

I'm far from a Leafs fan and still find this proposal absolutely terrible.

The original was bad for the Leafs too, though.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm sorry, but Rielly is trending down and top pairing defencemen are extremely hard to get. If I was the NYR GM I would ask for Nylander and marner.... nothing more, nothing less. Would be fair 10/10.

If only Reilly was trending up like generational defenseman Kris Russell. We would be set for life!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Take a look at the QoC of the Zaitsev/Rielly pairing. Played some of the most minutes in the league against top line opposition as a rookie and a 22 year old. Plus/minus also isn't the greatest stats to use to diminish a players value.

They got hard matchups because other teams' coaches wanted to exploit them. On the road the other team gets the matchups they want.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I'm sorry, but Rielly is trending down and top pairing defencemen are extremely hard to get. If I was the NYR GM I would ask for Nylander and marner.... nothing more, nothing less. Would be fair 10/10.

Nylander and Marner together as a package better be getting you a whole lot more than MCDonaugh. Just brutal. And I love how everyone makes statements like Rielly is trending down. I comepletely disagree. The guy just turned 23. There's a guy named Duncan Keith who didn't play his first NHL game until he was 22. Rielly under Babcock will only continue to get better. People got to stop throwing in the towel on young NHLers to soon.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
They got hard matchups because other teams' coaches wanted to exploit them. On the road the other team gets the matchups they want.

they got the hard matchups when Babcock had last change, and linechange control is really mitigated as a determining factor because of on the fly changes.

The leafs had worse pairings to exploit than Rielly/Zaitsev, and didn't have better pairings than Rielly/Zaitsev

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
By now its quite clear Morgan Rielly will never be a number 1 d-man, this trades makes the Leafs better now and in the future. The Rangers get younger and build their D around Brady Skjei and get 2 assets in return for giving up their captain. Let me know what you think

How do you get Morgan Rielly will never be a number 1 D . TML pass and hire you as a scout instead , as you seem to have all the answers :shakehead:sarcasm:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

mj-laughing.gif

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
when all the fanbases come together to fight the trolls, its a good day.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016

bro LOL . I think alot of people forget how young Rielly is he just turned 23 this year Defense man take the longest to develop He still has time to become a number 1 and even if hes not if he becomes a solid 2 i would be more than happy with that. Burns is my favorite example i call him fine wine better with age if you take all his numbers from his season before he was 28 He averaged around a 32 point season. he only exploded over the last 4-5 years after he turned 27-28 That's the prime for defense man IMO that's when they hit the best unless you are a karlsson. Burns got A FULL season in the AHL . Rielly got 14 games lol Hes still a youth he will be just fine. lastly i was reading somthing awhile back i was reading Rielly plays some of the toughest mins in the league he plays vs the best and hes doing fine. I wouldn't trade him quiet yet. only person i'd swap him for and that ship sailed is trouba ( there is other DMAN I WOULD , but they are unrealistic)

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
they got the hard matchups when Babcock had last change, and linechange control is really mitigated as a determining factor because of on the fly changes.

The leafs had worse pairings to exploit than Rielly/Zaitsev, and didn't have better pairings than Rielly/Zaitsev

Gardiner was the Leaf's best Dman last season.
Back to the trade proposal - neither team would do this.
Kappanen carries little value, and the Leaf's will be a top team, so the first will be 20 - 31.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would trust in Rielly becoming a number 1 defenseman before ever doing this deal, given he's already pretty damn close to one and is only 23.

Really, this deal gets worse as Kapanen and Rielly get better, and given where everyone is right now I doubt it's even worth it. That's not a slight against McD, it's just an indication of how good and valuable those two are to this club. The 1st is just overkill.

/thread

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Gardiner was the Leaf's best Dman last season.
Back to the trade proposal - neither team would do this.
Kappanen carries little value, and the Leaf's will be a top team, so the first will be 20 - 31.

Gardiner got softer usage than Rielly too with a boatload more forward zone starts and PP time, and Rielly was in the #1D role outside of a short time at the end of the season when he came back from injury and wasn't good

I agree neither team does the OP, I think you're underrating Kapanen and you're about right on the pick (but I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't take the expected step forward either)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad