Proposal: Morgan Rielly+Kapanen+1st for McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If the Leafs wanted a washed up LD from the 2007 draft they could have just gotten Karl Alzner as a free agent.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Also worth mentioning that when Ryan mcdonagh was Morgan Rielly's age, he had
42 points in122 games.

Morgan Rielly currently has 119 points in 312 games, mostly with huge minutes against top lines.

I guess mcdonagh was never gonna be a #1 defenseman either op?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Not at all, to get a #1 d you would have to gut your team of valuable assets unless you draft one or can afford a subban type trade.

Rielly is not very good, and while still young doesn't seem to have much hockey sense. Regardless, he would not be the main piece going back. Either marner and nylander or Matthews + 3rd would entice nyr to trade him.

Dear God lol This guy

member 262271

"Your teams trade pieces are garbage but our guy is worth a unbelievable amount." Rinse. Repeat.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Matthews and a 3rd would make NYR consider is the best I read on here in a long time :D

Oh man I hope your interpretation of that is the correct one I read it as:

Rielly is not very good, and while still young doesn't seem to have much hockey sense. Regardless, he would not be the main piece going back. Either marner and (nylander or Matthews) + 3rd would entice nyr to trade him.

When does school start back?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I don't want to be harsh, but considering this is a die-hard hockey fan forum and people here shoud know something about hockey, it's absolute joke, but to be fair, majority of literally everything here is an absolute joke, so.

Toronto's mangement would never even consider trading Rielly for McDonagh alone, let alone with Kapanen and a 1st lol, that must be one of the most hilarious proposals I have ever seen.

Also, Marner and Nylander for McDonagh? What about Backes for Laine and Ehlers? Makes same sense.

ur delusional then. I can only understand if we're taking team needs into consideration and the only reason leafs wouldnt do it is cuz of the 3 younger players needing expensive contracts. So a cheaper rielly makes more sense. But then again they could always make room for him by trading Rielly and letting a player with term go.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
This is horriawful. Don't do this again. The leafs will take the control years for Reilly, kap, and the scouts are good enough to make that 1st a gem.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Rielly Kapanen and a 1st are not scraps

Good grief :shakehead

They're not scraps, I agree with you completely. However, for a piece like McDonagh, who has 2 years left and isn't in line for an insane deal, it's not enough.

If Larsson can fetch Hall, McDonagh can return a hell of a lot more, regardless of age and contract situation, as he's not a rental. I know the Hall/Larsson deal isn't the be-all, end-all barometer of market value, but McDonagh is clearly the superior defender by a landslide.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I've been seeing you make a lot of asinine hot takes when it comes to the Leafs lately.
Little early in your HF career for that, bud.

He went on my Ignore List quickly.

Nothing of merit or intelligence to add to any conversations and only a matter of time before he is locked out of contributing to anything related to the Leafs.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Morgan Rielly+Kapanen+1st for McDonagh

This is one of the worst trades I have ever seen on this forum, and that is saying a lot.
McDonagh is the best player in the trade, obviously, but at 28 years old and with only 2 years left on his contract, he is not worth Rielly, who at 23 years old still has five years left on his contract and is in the right age to be part of the core of Leafs who will compete for the cup. This alone would mean that Toronto is extremely unlikely to accept it if it was a 1-for-1 straight up trade. The addition of Kapanen and a 1st just puts it into a stupidity category.

By now its quite clear Morgan Rielly will never be a number 1 d-man

Rielly is 23. How many #1 D were not yet #1 D at 23?

this trades makes the Leafs better now and in the future.

It is debatable that it makes Leafs better now. If anyone thinks that giving up a great young D, Kapanen and a 1st round pick for a 2-year rental makes the Leafs better in the future, I question their sanity.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If Larsson can fetch Hall, McDonagh can return a hell of a lot more, regardless of age and contract situation, as he's not a rental. I know the Hall/Larsson deal isn't the be-all, end-all barometer of market value, but McDonagh is clearly the superior defender by a landslide.

Larsson, at 23, with 5 years left on a great contract was worth so much more than McDonagh it isn't funny.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You have no way of knowing that unless you are running the team

Curious as to how you can say it would only be Nylander/Marner unless you're running the team? Aren't you doing the same?

OP is a dumb idea for a number of reasons. It makes no sense for either team.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Earlier this season I began to think that teams could win without a #1D. 2 months ago the Pens proved it. If a D core is built right, a #1D isn't required to win a Stanley Cup. Would the #1 D help? Without a doubt. But I wouldn't give up a bunch of blue chip assets to fill one specific role unless that role was absolutely required.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Considering the fact that McDonagh didn't become who he is until age 25, who's to say Rielly can't be as good or better than him in 2 years?

Rielly showed some serious offensive potential these past playoffs with 5 points in 6 games. I firmly believe he's just a year or two away from becoming a 40-50 point #1 d-man.

In that regard, this trade idea is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad