Proposal: Morgan Rielly+Kapanen+1st for McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Mcdonagh's a top 15-20 defenseman in the league and would fill a need for the Leafs, still that's an overpayment for him.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
NYR takes this and runs. McD is basically a top 20 defender in the league? Rielly will be that and soon. Noe that the team has some stability they'll find a partner for him and he will excel. No way the Leafs make this deal.

Oh please, McD is, arguably, a top 10 defense man and absolutely a top 5 defender. Reilly isn't in his class and shouldn't be talked about as such.
Whether or not Leafs fans believe this is a good deal (do they ever think any deal is fair on their behalf) is a moot point. McD will not be moved. He is the best player on the NYR team and its captain. If he is ever moved, it will be for a young phenom or top tier prospect and draft picks.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
2 years of McDonagh before he either walks for nothing, or asks for 9.5-10 mil a year?

Leafs gettin ripped.
Add me to the group who think Rielly signed for 5 more years at 5 mil has more trade value alone than McD.

A lot of ppl on these boards don't put enough factor into contracts, and just think "ZOMG McD is so much better !"

Valid.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Considering the fact that McDonagh didn't become who he is until age 25, who's to say Rielly can't be as good or better than him in 2 years?

Rielly showed some serious offensive potential these past playoffs with 5 points in 6 games. I firmly believe he's just a year or two away from becoming a 40-50 point #1 d-man.

In that regard, this trade idea is awful.

If you think McDonagh didn't peak until 25, you haven't watched him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Last year, Gardiner had more goals, more points, and a better plus/minus (despite the Leafs having a much lower goal differential).

Gardiner is ridiculously underrated. People will take more notice of him this year though when the Leafs are one of the top teams in the East.

Gardiner can also dominate in the playoffs (especially if the games go into OT and 2OT, etc.)... and he will get to showcase that this year during our cup run.

By the end of the year, it will be obvious to everyone that Gardiner is better than McDonagh.

edit: did a quick google search for a list of the best NHL defensemen ... and McDonagh came in at 23 with Gardiner at 24. Not saying this list is gospel or anything... but according to this list, they are basically the same at the moment.

https://www.nhl.com/news/fantasy-hockey-top-50-defenseman-rankings-for-2017-18/c-282830728

He had 1 more point, in 5 more games, and a difference of +4 to McDonagh.

The OP is a bad trade but Gardiner is not better than McDonagh.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As a Leaf fan I do not like this deal and would not make it.
I like the players involved, but no to the price being asked.
It's a pass.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
this thread has been extremely uncivil and not even between leafs and NYR people so this is odd OP in general obviously..the offer i still think was a good starting point.

whoever said McD is gonna get 10M+ a year is way off base, he doesnt score 70 points a year so no he will get #1D market value i assume 7.5M and as much as leafs fans want to bug out about cap cap cap with the big three coming up, the difference between McD and Rielly would be 2.5M a year for 3 years, you can fit that in the budget when getting a far superior player. Sure, Rielly can improve alot but McD is a beast.

Letang,Doughty,Karlsson,Hedman, Pietrangelo and ill throw in Burns to be respectful are the only more complete Defenseman in the NHL. He slots in somewhere between 7-15 and can prob be interchanged on any list from 7-15. Rielly has a boatload of improving to do to get to that level and its more likely than not he wont be that high on the list at the age of 28.

rielly+KK+1st IS an overpayment, but its not overkill its just a real good prospect and a mid-late first.

Nobody in Toronto in there right mind would decline Rielly for McD straight up, idc about age, contract,value bla bla bla 1 for 1 the leafs take that and run far far away so adding the prospect and mid 1st is just the sweeteners.

No deal to be had here clearly, dont think leafs fans are wrong in their opinions of the situation, i respect the rebuild and sticking with the recipe but i hate the money managing fans that value cap space in the future over getting core cup guys. Mcdonagh is a core cup guy. Hes a player you take 10/10 times to lead the way

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am not for this proposal at all. I wouldn't do Rielly straight across considering the team control we have with Rielly and McDonagh has had concussion issues for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->