Rumor: "Montreal is checking to see what’s out there [for defense]"

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The Habs have two very good Dmen in Tinordi & Beaulieu, trading either isn't a smart plan, Beaulieu was actually rated at #5 in his draft year by many, his game is coming along fine, he will be a force in the future. I'm assuming you mean Adam Larsson(RD) he too will need developing, his game seems stalled in the NJD's system, for some reason I'm not aware of. With time in the Habs system, he could find his game which was very good in his draft year, a confident PMD whose pinpoint passing and poise were outstanding IMHO. Somewhere along the way he lost his confidence, from what I've seen from his play in the NHL, but he still has flashes of that dominating PMD teams dream about finding,IMHO.:nod: That's probably the biggest drawback in his game, Consistency which is a coaches nightmare.

Trading all comes down to return. It's not a mistake if you get the better player. Which when talking prospects is up in the air. Beaulieu may have been rated #5 but Larsson was rated #1 in the same draft year. They've both struggled to get regular playing time, and both have inconsistency issues.

I'm generally not a big fan of trading one uncertainty for another when the potential reward is virtually the same. But in this case, Beaulieu for Larsson, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Trading all comes down to return. It's not a mistake if you get the better player. Which when talking prospects is up in the air. Beaulieu may have been rated #5 but Larsson was rated #1 in the same draft year. They've both struggled to get regular playing time, and both have inconsistency issues.

I'm generally not a big fan of trading one uncertainty for another when the potential reward is virtually the same. But in this case, Beaulieu for Larsson, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think a lot of people underestimate Beaulieu. He is still very young for a dman. But Larsson potential is higher than Beaulieu.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yep, nothing wrong with that as long as you have the right coach and players around him.

Which is part of the problem right now.

I mean people like to criticize Subban and they are not wrong he is not playing as well as his Norris year.

But people often forget that he is one of the top dman in the league with the weakest partner.

I like Emelin and i liked Gorges but come on both are not top 4 quality material. Guys like Voynov, Seabrook, Seidenberg and Bouwmeester are better. And if we want to put Subban with Markov we are missing something on the second pairing. We tried Emelin with Gorges last year for a few games and it did not work and Emelin with Gilbert wont be better. All those guys are 3rd pairing quality dmen but not top 4 quality. You can have one of them in the top 4 playing with Markov but not 2 of them. We are still missing a top 4 quality d man like last year. Last year we even had Bouillon playing with Subban for a while that's pathetic.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...the market right now for even #4-#5-#6 Dmen is insane; every team and their dog is sniffing around...dangerous time, as this is just the type of situation where teams pay a premium for middle-of-the-road (and worse) guys...getting a coaching staff that can actual coach would make more sense right now...

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I see the reason behind the Gorges departure. What I don't get is Tom Gilbert as a replacement.

This. I had no issues with the Gorges trade, but I felt if we did it we should definitely give Tinordi some big minutes to start grooming him for the role. I didn't mind that we signed a D as a stop gap but when that stop gap is Tom Gilbert, when he is paid all of 1.1m difference and we have 4mil in cap space. Yes it does make me scratch my head.

Then I remember how Gorges acted at the time of the trade refusing to waive for Toronto which would have likely made both Montreal and Toronto better. (I believe it was for Franson?)

He made it all about him instead of the team and business, whined to the media and cried, and showed his true colors. To refuse to go to one of the top cities in the world, a team that wants you, but you agree to go to a much worse team that is Buffalo of all places... :facepalm:

A lot of players have class and get traded and say "it's part of the business" and usually they'll waive since they "why stay if a team doesn't want you?" (typical post trade responses)

He couldn't be a stand up guy in the one time it mattered most in his Hab career. I don't blame him for being upset with the trade but the way he handled it was immature and classless.

Cap savings and a 2nd round pick (the key piece of us getting a superstar in any trade proposal).

The cap savings is the difference of no joke having 9m or 16m at the deadline. Unless you think we're landing Crosby and Gino, I think we'd have enough space regardless. Also I really doubt a low 2nd (Minnesota's 2nd to be precise) is going to be the difference in getting us a superstar but hey I'm willing to wait till deadline to find out and I hope to go you're right.

But to make it about the cap savings is imo disingenuous when the difference is 3.9 --> 2.8. We have 4mil in space I really doubt having 3m instead would make a difference come deadline.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Tom Gilbert is a better defenceman than Franson, plus we got a second round pick, and more cap savings then having Franson.

Watch a Leafs game... Franson is a trainwreck in everything but the PP.

Thanks Josh.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

I know people won't like to hear this, but I still don't get the reason behind rushing a Gorges trade. His role was insanely underappreciated here, even if he had flaws as a player.

As a fan who loved gorges to death, I understood the move. He was making 4 million, we had subban to sign, he was a left hander on a team with too many left handers. Emelin needed to go back to his proper side. Playing your proper side is important...we even seen team Canada stick to that method...3 rights, 3 lefts. I miss gorges..but he was definitely the poorest skater of what we had on the left side.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Tom Gilbert is a better defenceman than Franson, plus we got a second round pick, and more cap savings then having Franson.

Watch a Leafs game... Franson is a trainwreck in everything but the PP.

Thanks Josh.

Last I checked we need a PP, and who's to say Franson would be so awful on our team? The Toronto Maple Leafs are an unmitigated disaster of a team, they have no structure and play poor defense as an entire unit. A change of culture and some coaching could do a lot for Franson, so I don't think it's fair laying all the blame on him. The team and coaching are a joke. Any leafs fan could tell you that. Also Franson is one of the only plus players on the team, when compared with his own teammates he is above average statistically. I know stats don't tell the whole story but clearly he's still better than plenty of leafs players.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Last I checked we need a PP, and who's to say Franson would be so awful on our team? The Toronto Maple Leafs are an unmitigated disaster of a team, they have no structure and play poor defense as an entire unit. A change of culture and some coaching could do a lot for Franson, so I don't think it's fair laying all the blame on him. The team and coaching are a joke. Any leafs fan could tell you that. Also Franson is one of the only plus players on the team, when compared with his own teammates he is above average statistically. I know stats don't tell the whole story but clearly he's still better than plenty of leafs players.

Now just you wait a minute...
You've desribed the Habs perfectly. :sarcasm:

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Markov - Gudbransson
Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Gilbert

Yes please!

What do you think the Panthers might ask for Gudbransson? They might take Emelin (as your pairings suggest), but I think we'd need to offer more than this.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Markov - Gudbransson
Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Gilbert

Yes please!

You want Gudbransson say goodbye to Tinordi..........whats the sense in that.....Florida isn't trading Gudbransson and Montreal aint trading Tinordi.

:shakehead

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
If Montreal could acquire a prospect that could replace Markov in the next 2-3 years, it would be excellent. Beaulieu is probably the guy for it, however just in case he cant replace the productivity of Markov, it would be nice.

If a prospect like Dumba or Lindholm is out there and available, I would not mind giving up Tinordi and a 1st/2nd.

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
I don't think the D is the problem right now, it's the fowards not coming back to receive passes from the D. half the time i see the D skating up ice and no one is even looking for the pass, or isn't skating. The team's system is what is not working right now. Even once we get in the offensive zone, there is no support, no one getting in position to score, and when someoen even goes to the net, someone throws a pass to them an they are not looking and miss the pass. It's just sloppy play right now and the team will get throgh it and be at the top of their game shortly. We just need a little spark right now to wake them up.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
If Montreal could acquire a prospect that could replace Markov in the next 2-3 years, it would be excellent. Beaulieu is probably the guy for it, however just in case he cant replace the productivity of Markov, it would be nice.

If a prospect like Dumba or Lindholm is out there and available, I would not mind giving up Tinordi and a 1st/2nd.

Come on people lets be serious here........Lindholm , Dumba.........these players aren't available and wont be.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I doubt we'd get Yandle even for this, and that's assuming MB would make the move, which I don't believe he would. I believe this year to be an evaluation of what our young guys can bring to the team, we might see a similar move next year when we have a better idea of what we have and what we need.

Agreed, considering it'll probably be 31st - 32nd overall, not too bad, might allow us to upgrade our 1st pick.

It's Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2016

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad