Rumor: "Montreal is checking to see what’s out there [for defense]"

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The same stats that make people think Eller is a great player who should play top 6 ?

Lol no the same stats that make people who continuously bash Eller look like clowns who rather that watching the game simply look at A G Pts +/- with zero context.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Anyone know how attached Columbus is to David Savard. Anybody seen him play much.

I'll admit I've only seen him a few times and I'm mostly relying on stats but he seems like a really good fit to me. Big, strong around the net, great 2nd pairing guy. French also for those who care about that.

Would a package around Emelin work?

Markov------Subban
Beaulieu----Savard
Tinordi------Gilbert
Weaver

Seems like great balance to me and the kids get to play on their natural sides with Weaver getting the rest he needs to be effective.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Regarding chemistry with Subban...

I was watching antichambre the other night and they made a really good point.

Subban is the total package. He has it all. But he does not make the players around him better.

Markov makes everyone he plays with better. That's his game. He can control and direct the play.

Subban is an exceptional player HIMSELF. He does it HIMSELF. He will not make the other players on the ice better because he doesn't control the play, he IS the play.

It's hard to find a good partner for him because ultimately what he needs is an unspectacular player who won't get in his way and will cover for him when he takes risks.

I think his ideal partner is Tinordi, but not Tinordi today... The Tinordi we are hoping he will become.

I've always maintained if we could go get someone to be Subban's partner from here on out it should be Bogosian. He's the perfect kind of player to complement Subban's game.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Anyone know how attached Columbus is to David Savard. Anybody seen him play much.

I'll admit I've only seen him a few times and I'm mostly relying on stats but he seems like a really good fit to me. Big, strong around the net, great 2nd pairing guy. French also for those who care about that.

Would a package around Emelin work?

Markov------Subban
Beaulieu----Savard
Tinordi------Gilbert
Weaver

Seems like great balance to me and the kids get to play on their natural sides with Weaver getting the rest he needs to be effective.

I'd make this trade in the blink of an eye, though we'd probably have to include at least a decent prospect and maybe a pick, don't think Emelin's value is that high

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I know people won't like to hear this, but I still don't get the reason behind rushing a Gorges trade. His role was insanely underappreciated here, even if he had flaws as a player.

Getting rid of Gorges was not the problem. Replacing him by Gilbert was. But also underperformance by Subban doesn't help. And not recognizing finally that Emelin might not be a top 4 after all. And Markov getting old. And guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu either not ready, or getting their confidence destroyed by the coach. It's so much more than Gorges departure....

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Amazing how much better a player Josh Gorges has become in the eyes of this board since being traded away!

Umm no, I always liked Gorges and always defended him. I just kept my mouth shut near the end about him because it was pretty clear that he became a scapegoat and once you enter in that territory, there is no changing people's minds.

Gorges is still being underappreciated here. He was a solid defender despite his flaws. Not every single one of your top 6 needs to be a superstar to be a good club, you just people to fill roles and Gorges did that, way better than Emelin and Weaver are fitting their roles atm (though I'll give the benefit of the doubt since the entire top 6 looks like ass this year).

habitue*

Getting rid of Gorges was not the problem. Replacing him by Gilbert was. But also underperformance by Subban doesn't help. And not recognizing finally that Emelin might not be a top 4 after all. And Markov getting old. And guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu either not ready, or getting their confidence destroyed by the coach. It's so much more than Gorges departure....

Let's bring back Bouillon and Murray ! ;)... Or Kaberle after he will be thrown out by the Rangers.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Subban Effect.

We had to unload an effective DMan to pay for PKs $9M (tm) contract.

Glad that PK is playing at the level his contract dictates. :sarcasm:

yeah… too bad management bungled getting Subban @ 4-5M$ for the next 2-3 years when they had the chance

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Subban is the total package. He has it all. But he does not make the players around him better.

Markov makes everyone he plays with better. That's his game. He can control and direct the play.

Subban is an exceptional player HIMSELF. He does it HIMSELF. He will not make the other players on the ice better because he doesn't control the play, he IS the play.

It's hard to find a good partner for him because ultimately what he needs is an unspectacular player who won't get in his way and will cover for him when he takes risks.

I think his ideal partner is Tinordi, but not Tinordi today... The Tinordi we are hoping he will become.

I've always maintained if we could go get someone to be Subban's partner from here on out it should be Bogosian. He's the perfect kind of player to complement Subban's game.

except their both Righties, and Bogo struggles with decision-making at times…

Bang on with the Tinordi comment though.

IMO we'd be much better off pairing them now and living with the ups-downs as Tinordi gets comfortable with the workload.

if anything, getting an upgrade on Gilbert to pair with Markov & assign toughest 5-on-5 match-ups, so that Subban/Tinordi duo can face slightly weaker ES opposition, would be ideal for this season and maybe next (hopefully tinordi makes quick progression).

Robyn Regher type is exactly what Subban needs to play with, and Tinordi is that guy.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Emelin or Gilbert needs to go. With emelin and Gallagher and a 2nd Rd pick we cud prolly get yandle

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
Lol no the same stats that make people who continuously bash Eller look like clowns who rather that watching the game simply look at A G Pts +/- with zero context.

I'm not bashing Eller I simply say that he play his role on the 3rd line, he's just nowhere close to be a top 6 guy.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal

I agree except for the fact that Bogosian play on the same side as Subban

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Everyone wants to trade Gallagher now?

If we could fill this glaring hole in the top 4 without creating another large hole, I would be happy.

Agreed but honestly both could addressed if we get a guy like Buff.

He really would be an ideal target.

I doubt the Jets will deal him though.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
That's not a rumor, MB is always looking at all the options. 365 days a year.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Agreed but honestly both could addressed if we get a guy like Buff.

He really would be an ideal target.

I doubt the Jets will deal him though.

Byfuglien is horrific defensively. How would he solve our problems?

I'd take a look at either Ekholm (NSH) or Stone (ARI), I really think they're ready for the next step in their development. Ekholm especially would be someone to consider, may cost an important asset though.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Everyone wants to trade Gallagher now?

If we could fill this glaring hole in the top 4 without creating another large hole, I would be happy.

Gally has good value and his depart wouldn't hurt so much considering he is small and lacks vision

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Gally has good value and his depart wouldn't hurt so much considering he is small and lacks vision

I don't think we need to move him, Michalek out of Arizona could be a cheaper option, Sekera out of Carolina also could probably be had for picks/prospects.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Dang totally didn't click that Bogo and Subban play the same side. I wonder how he could handle his off-side... I really think he's a perfect complement. Big, strong, not too fancy, can cover for Subban... Isn't useless offensively, but not good enough to mess up Subban's flow.

Gomez91

Fala!!
Nov 27, 2011
Where I want

He is trying to do everything and contributing absolutely nothing at this point in the regular season he should simplify his game and focus less on him he will be alright even the powerplay let someone else shoot or contribute PK "Eight foot high shots from the point does nothing"

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com

That's a good point. I feel like PK has been so focused on his own skill-strength development he never learned how to be plugged in to his teammates on the ice -- they have to plug into him.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
We have Beaulieu and Tinordi let them play!!! Yes their young but they are ready it's the coach that's hurting them. The only way they keep on improving is if they play...if we want to go far in the the playoffs these 2 guys have to be full of confidence when he hit playoffs.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Well technically Gorges was supposed to be trades for Franson. Franson would have probably been a better option than Gilbert. Gilbert was plan B. A bad one we must admit.

But the problem right now is mostly that some key players are not playing as well as the end of last year. We need to remember that last year we had a very bad sequence too in the middle of the season. I think we lost 5 games out of 6 and things were not looking good at all.

Then Price came back at 100%, we got Vanek and DD started playing like a real 1st line center.

As long as Subban is borderline okay, as long as DD plays like a 3rd line center, as long as Eller and Bork hibernate, etc we will have trouble. But this is just the beginning of the season and anyway nobody expected us to win the cup this year. This is a transition year were we give exp to Beaulieu and TInordi and see what they can bring to the team in the future before making any dumb move we will regret like McDo.

I agree with that. Gilbert is horrible, but he's not the main problem and we wouldn't talk about it that much if PK was playing like PK, if Emelin was better on the left side than on the right side like we thought he would be, and if Tinordi-Beaulieu were "readier" than that in their own territory. And if the offense was generating...offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad