Rumor: "Montreal is checking to see what’s out there [for defense]"

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Per Friedman
Had a funny conversation with a GM last weekend. Heard he was looking for a defenceman. He responded with, “Everyone is looking for a defenceman.” Montreal is checking to see what’s out there. The decimated Rangers are bringing in Tomas Kaberle, with no contract offer. Philadelphia’s search, before signing Carlo Colaiacovo, was exhaustive. “Name someone,” one agent said. “They considered him.” The same GM quoted above talked to a team with eight, one-way contracts on its blueline, only to be told none were available. “They wanted to keep all of them,” he said.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-its-not-going-to-be-easy-for-ted-nolan/

Also

3. Heading into Wednesday’s game against Buffalo, it would not have been a surprise if Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin was thinking about moving one of his 14 forwards so Michael Bournival or Jiri Sekac could play more. Bournival was injured on a hard (but clean) Cody McCormick check, while Sekac might be right back in Michel Therrien’s doghouse after a third-period penalty. Can’t imagine the Canadiens want Sekac, in particular, sitting.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I know people won't like to hear this, but I still don't get the reason behind rushing a Gorges trade. His role was insanely underappreciated here, even if he had flaws as a player.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I know people won't like to hear this, but I still don't get the reason behind rushing a Gorges trade. His role was insanely underappreciated here, even if he had flaws as a player.

I see the reason behind the Gorges departure. What I don't get is Tom Gilbert as a replacement.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009

It was strictly financial. I do agree though, he was very underappreciated in Montreal.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I see the reason behind the Gorges departure. What I don't get is Tom Gilbert as a replacement.

Well technically Gorges was supposed to be trades for Franson. Franson would have probably been a better option than Gilbert. Gilbert was plan B. A bad one we must admit.

But the problem right now is mostly that some key players are not playing as well as the end of last year. We need to remember that last year we had a very bad sequence too in the middle of the season. I think we lost 5 games out of 6 and things were not looking good at all.

Then Price came back at 100%, we got Vanek and DD started playing like a real 1st line center.

As long as Subban is borderline okay, as long as DD plays like a 3rd line center, as long as Eller and Bork hibernate, etc we will have trouble. But this is just the beginning of the season and anyway nobody expected us to win the cup this year. This is a transition year were we give exp to Beaulieu and TInordi and see what they can bring to the team in the future before making any dumb move we will regret like McDo.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Bottom pairing defenseman paid 4 Million a year. Nuff said.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

During an intermission on Sportsnet yesterday, someone was mentioning how uncanny it is for us to have inherited the Panthers' third pairing Ds, in Gilbert and Weaver, and how the Habs are using Weaver on consecutive games, whereas he was being set every second game with the Panthers.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
It was strictly financial. I do agree though, he was very underappreciated in Montreal.

The Subban Effect.

We had to unload an effective DMan to pay for PKs $9M (tm) contract.

Glad that PK is playing at the level his contract dictates. :sarcasm:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

I appreciated Gorges while he was here and defended him consistently. However, it was time for him to go. Diminishing returns on a long contract meant eventually we'd probably be stuck with him.

I still believe that Gilbert is cheaper an upgrade on him. In terms of value, I prefer Gilbert's PMD skillset to Gorges' PK / shot blocking skillset.

As for acquiring a defenseman, there really isn't anything out there. LA and St-Louis did well in pillaging the Sabres D while they still had decent NHLers (Regher and Leopold). There really aren't any tanking teams that have decent D available, save maybe for Yandle in Arizona but he'll be too expensive.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
During an intermission on Sportsnet yesterday, someone was mentioning how uncanny it is for us to have inherited the Panthers' third pairing Ds, in Gilbert and Weaver, and how the Habs are using Weaver on consecutive games, whereas he was being set every second game with the Panthers.

That person obviously has no clue what he's talking about.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

That says more about weak fact-checking in the media than about anything else. At least as far as Gilbert is concerned.

Habsland35

Aug 24, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Well technically Gorges was supposed to be trade for Franson. Franson would have probably been a better option than Gilbert. Gilbert was plan B. A bad one we must admit.

Maybe I'm just blind but I just dont get the hate towards Gilbert. He's not fancy and not strong a long to boards but i find he gets the job done. Hes an adequate #4 and I am much happier with him in the line up over Gorges.

Gorges was a pain to watch...couldn't make an outlet pass and always resorted to chipping the puck off the boards

the fact that he was blocking an incredible number of shots was due him getting pinned in the defensive zone so often because of his his inability to make a proper pass to the forwards

Gilbert has been playing as a number #1 for bad teams like Edmonton and Florida his whole career, hes been here 14 games give him some time

by game 60, well see the value of having Tom Gilbert as our number 4 over Gorges

it also doesnt help that the entire team isnt playing so well right now, especially the defense..hard to just single out Gilbert when the defensive group as a whole has not played well

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
If the rest of the Dmen where playing the way they should be, no one would be saying they missed georges. Unfortunately Subban, weaver, gilbert, emelin have all been absolutely terrible.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Bogosian and Kane to Mtl please

I wonder what it would take...

Gallagher, Beaulieu, 1st 2015, 1st 2016?

Probably need to add even more; Eller doesn't have much value and we can't lose Pacioretty. Maybe Tokarski? He would probably be better than anything Winnipeg has in terms of goalies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Just keep increasing Beaulieu's minutes and let Tinordi play with Weaver/Gilbert rotating on his right side. I don't think our D is in that bad of shape, once Subban gets back to playing like he can we'll be fine on defense as long as we let the kids keep playing.

I'd rather go get a top six winger than a D, our team looked totally different last year once we got Vanek. Guys like Gallagher/Parenteau/Galchenyuk will start being more productive facing easier competition and having another scorer will surely help our ****** PP.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I wonder what it would take...

Gallagher, Beaulieu, 1st 2015, 1st 2016?

Probably need to add even more; Eller doesn't have much value and we can't lose Pacioretty. Maybe Tokarski? He would probably be better than anything Winnipeg has in terms of goalies.

Gallagher + for Kane

Something around Beaulieu and Eller/Desharnais/Bourque + for Bogosian

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

Ditto. We needed a much much better top 4 RH defenseman than Gilbert. Hopefully he'll find a way to find one, but it'll be damn expensive.

And I never understood why they insisted on playing Emelin on the right side last season and never tried Gorges there instead. Gorges had previous experience playing on the right side and he was decent enough.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This team can't score goals...they've got 1 legit 1st line player (and another with the potential of being one, but they refuse to give him a legitimate shot - Galchenyuk)

and they're looking for more defense????

Odd...very odd

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Sportsnet is littered with idiots from top, to bottom.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This team can't score goals...they've got 1 legit 1st line player (and another with the potential of being one, but they refuse to give him a legitimate shot - Galchenyuk)

and they're looking for more defense????

Odd...very odd
Not that odd, when you consider that this team has only two top 4 defenseman.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-its-not-going-to-be-easy-for-ted-nolan/

Interesting article, the piece about Martin St. Louis and A.Galchenyuk being of particular interest. The NYR's appreciating that using St.Louis at center, working down low, prevents him joining or starting the offensive rush. His creativity being stymied, as does Galchenyuk's at center it appears! Not the 1st superstar center in junior that found his niche on the wing in Montreal. Guy Lafleur no less, became the best RW in hockey playing there, less defensive responsibilities, freeing him to be far more creative on RW. Galchenyuk is showing the same type of abilities at LW, as he becomes accustomed to the flow and speed of the NHL game, after a mere season and a half, at 20 yrs. old. Lafleur of course was drafted at 20 and spent 3 seasons before shedding his helmet and becoming the star player everyone anticipated when drafted.

The Habs have their longstanding methods in bringing players development to the upside expected, with prolonged careers the end result, with more complete hockey players. This process resulted in their teams being very deep in complete players, with the desire /passion to always be the best. Many Stanley Cup triumphs were due to the team's character, players entrenched in learning the games intricacies.

Being equally adept at playing the checking game, while always having good offensive instincts, honed in hours of practising with likeminded players and coaches, with being the "best they can be" characters surrounding them. Therefore avoiding the "Rotten Apple" type player that was self absorbed being brought into their midst, only good business in most peoples minds.:nod:

It appears that knowledge is once again at the forefront of the Habs with Executive Vice-President Marc Bergevin & Senior Vice-President Rick Dudley(Former GM for Ottawa, Florida, Tampa & Atlanta, Asst. GM for Toronto, Chicago and Montreal). Impressive Hockey knowledge shared between these two leaders. This spells good fortunes ahead for the Habs team/fans alike, not to leave out all the great personnel brought into the various positions, with one goal in mind. Being the best franchise in hockey and staying on top, or right in the mix at the top, IMHO.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad