Rumor: "Montreal is checking to see what’s out there [for defense]"

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree with that. Gilbert is horrible, but he's not the main problem and we wouldn't talk about it that much if PK was playing like PK, if Emelin was better on the left side than on the right side like we thought he would be, and if Tinordi-Beaulieu were "readier" than that in their own territory. And if the offense was generating...offense.

Once again the D is not anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be.
The problem lies with the forwards cheating and the D running around for nothing.
It's Pejorative Slured when you think about it. We can keep the puck to the perimeter on our PK but when we add a guy that goes out the window? The whole premise of this MT game book is flawed.
People were complaining about Boucher's 1-3-1 well how about Therrien's 0-3-2! :help:

Fix the issues with the forwards and the forecheck the D will fall into place.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Emelin or Gilbert needs to go. With emelin and Gallagher and a 2nd Rd pick we cud prolly get yandle

I doubt we'd get Yandle even for this, and that's assuming MB would make the move, which I don't believe he would. I believe this year to be an evaluation of what our young guys can bring to the team, we might see a similar move next year when we have a better idea of what we have and what we need.

I much prefer 2nd round pick + Gilbert tha Franson.

Gorges did us a favor

Agreed, considering it'll probably be 31st - 32nd overall, not too bad, might allow us to upgrade our 1st pick.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Emelin brings an element that every NHL roster wants to have and would pay a premium for, sad reality but we need him on the team.

I am having trouble understanding your point of view here.

You believe that Emelin brings an element that every team needs (or wants) and he is already a member of the Habs. Why is it sad that we already have a piece of the puzzle?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Anyone know how attached Columbus is to David Savard. Anybody seen him play much.

I'll admit I've only seen him a few times and I'm mostly relying on stats but he seems like a really good fit to me. Big, strong around the net, great 2nd pairing guy. French also for those who care about that.

Would a package around Emelin work?

Markov------Subban
Beaulieu----Savard
Tinordi------Gilbert
Weaver

Seems like great balance to me and the kids get to play on their natural sides with Weaver getting the rest he needs to be effective.

Gilbert is a much better 2nd pairing guy than Savard, who is at best a #5 guy on a playoff team. Good point man and plays smart but heavy feet.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
For all of his professed abilities as an efficient puck mover, Gilbert leads the team in giveaways and has a grand total of 2 points. Maybe that would improve with more PP time because despite playing almost every minute on the PP, Subban and Markov haven't been effective.

His physical play is almost non-existent but that was expected. I see him more as a #6 d-man and a 2nd unit PP guy. Slotting in an effective RH defenseman on the second pairing would have the effect of improving the entire defensive corps.

Unfortunately a lot of teams are looking for that same defenseman and there aren't many around.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I am having trouble understanding your point of view here.

You believe that Emelin brings an element that every team needs (or wants) and he is already a member of the Habs. Why is it sad that we already have a piece of the puzzle?

I think he means even though Emelin struggles defensively, he's one of the rare def on our team that can and does hit, which is why he's needed despite his flaws.

I would agree with this to an extent, but I believe Tinordi will eventually fill that role, with a bigger frame to boot (meaning he'll be albe to clear the net, which Emelin can't), which means Emelin's necessity will lessen so he could be dealt eventually (next year maybe?)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I doubt we'd get Yandle even for this, and that's assuming MB would make the move, which I don't believe he would. I believe this year to be an evaluation of what our young guys can bring to the team, we might see a similar move next year when we have a better idea of what we have and what we need.

Agreed, considering it'll probably be 31st - 32nd overall, not too bad, might allow us to upgrade our 1st pick.

It's Minnesota's 2nd, not Buffalo's.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
You don't have to be a genuis to understand those stats, it's pretty ridiculous but sometime it give me the impression that some people don't watch the games and only look at stats, ( you want to evaluate a player, look at stats ) I don't care about the shots they get, their % of efficacity is very low but we can't say the same when we look at the shots the other teams does when they are on the ice.

No see, that's what I'm saying. Stats are facts. Hard facts, while just watching the game is not. You watch, you can be influenced by the announcers (who are usually pretty terrible), other fans, just your preference. If you look at the stats, you will watch hockey differently after. But just dismissing the fancy stats as rubbish and assuming people don't actually watch the game is misguided.

The stats do show how many shots we get while let's say Eller is on the ice compared to the shots against when Eller is on the ice. Add to that, some stats incorporate the talent of the opposition when this happens, and then you add face offs in the offensive zone compared to defensive zones which changes a lot if you consider those.

You can't just take one stat and say, well this means nothing because I saw him give the puck away that one time. You take all the stats and you watch the game.

The longer you have possession of the puck, least likelyness you'll get scored on.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That's a good point. I feel like PK has been so focused on his own skill-strength development he never learned how to be plugged in to his teammates on the ice -- they have to plug into him.

There are plenty of very successful players like that though. You can make it work with the right coaching and the right set of receptive players.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Beaulieu+ for Larsson. Kyle Turris was moved for Rundblad + a 2nd, for example.

I'd add Ghetto, Lehkonen, Hudon or Reway in a heartbeat, plus any non-first round pick. They'd probably want McCarron, Scherbak or DLR though, which I wouldn't be willing to part with.

Play him 20 minutes a night with Markov and watch how he develops. Most importantly, we get to keep developing 2 good young Ds without having to have them compete for the same spot (3rd pairing LD).

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Larsson
Tinordi - Gilbert
Weaver

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
I know people won't like to hear this, but I still don't get the reason behind rushing a Gorges trade. His role was insanely underappreciated here, even if he had flaws as a player.

there is probably some reasons we dont know about, I think it could be related to the locker room... must be something we dont know about

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

I'd add Ghetto, Lehkonen, Hudon or Reway in a heartbeat, plus any non-first round pick. They'd probably want McCarron, Scherbak or DLR though, which I wouldn't be willing to part with.

Play him 20 minutes a night with Markov and watch how he develops. Most importantly, we get to keep developing 2 good young Ds without having to have them compete for the same spot (3rd pairing LD).

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Larsson
Tinordi - Gilbert
Weaver

I would target Larsson as well. I feel like a Larsson Beaulieu + swap would actually be quite fair.

I will propose it on the main board if you don't mind.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Larsson
Tinordi - Gilbert
Weaver

Getting Larsson would indeed fill our needs, but I'm not sure I would make this trade this year. Patience is important, especially with young D-men, let's see what Beaulieu can do before we decide to part with him. Considering we'd have to deal two players + potential pick, we have to make sure Larsson is effectively much superior to Beaulieu, which we can't be certain ATM.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Beaulieu has looked better than Larsson...

Pass

The Habs have two very good Dmen in Tinordi & Beaulieu, trading either isn't a smart plan, Beaulieu was actually rated at #5 in his draft year by many, his game is coming along fine, he will be a force in the future. I'm assuming you mean Adam Larsson(RD) he too will need developing, his game seems stalled in the NJD's system, for some reason I'm not aware of. With time in the Habs system, he could find his game which was very good in his draft year, a confident PMD whose pinpoint passing and poise were outstanding IMHO. Somewhere along the way he lost his confidence, from what I've seen from his play in the NHL, but he still has flashes of that dominating PMD teams dream about finding,IMHO.:nod: That's probably the biggest drawback in his game, Consistency which is a coaches nightmare.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Emelin, Gally and a 3rd for Yandle would be good no?

Yandle brings something (offense) we already have plenty of other players doing while Emelin's hit factor is something few (Tinordi?) are bringing for now. That and the fact Yandle will in all likelihood test the market next year, I'd wait to see what position we'll be in next year before making such a deal

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Getting Larsson would indeed fill our needs, but I'm not sure I would make this trade this year. Patience is important, especially with young D-men, let's see what Beaulieu can do before we decide to part with him. Considering we'd have to deal two players + potential pick, we have to make sure Larsson is effectively much superior to Beaulieu, which we can't be certain ATM.

Well Larsson is young too. 22 only. He is 6'3. I think he did well so far for a big 22 years old d man.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yandle brings something (offense) we already have plenty of other players doing while Emelin's hit factor is something few (Tinordi?) are bringing for now. That and the fact Yandle will in all likelihood test the market next year, I'd wait to see what position we'll be in next year before making such a deal

Doesn't yandle have another year? For the physical part you are right but Gilbert is rh and Emelin is lh so we can't deal Gilbert for Yandle. The limitations are there we cud always go for a rh d. Bogosian I guess

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Larsson could be a long term second pairing option behind Subban.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Doesn't yandle have another year? For the physical part you are right but Gilbert is rh and Emelin is lh so we can't deal Gilbert for Yandle. The limitations are there we cud always go for a rh d. Bogosian I guess

I know, I indeed meant at the end of next year. Which is why I'd wait next season for it, when we'll have a better idea of what Tinordi/Beaulieu can do (fill the Emelin gap).
I agree we'll probably have to deal Emelin at some point for a RH def, I just don't think now is the right time to do so.

Bogosian could be an option, but Jets don't look like they want to move anyone, so he might cost a lot.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Its MB's job to be "checking to see what's out there" every day of the season. It doesn't mean that a trade is imminent at all, but he should always have his ears open in case an opportunity presents itself. I don't see the point in bringing in another D right now. While neither Emelin or Gilbert have been amazing, they also haven't been as bad as some people here suggest. Subban has also been underperforming and should pick up his game eventually. Also, if another D is brought in, all it will do is take ice time away from Tinordi/Beaulieu, which goes against MB's plan for this season and will give fans a whole new reason to *****.

I think what this team needs right now in general is some confidence and a little bit of luck. They've been in a funk, but are under performing right now for their ability. I know beating Buffalo in a SO is no great accomplishment, but hopefully that will be a stepping stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad