OT: Montreal Impact Thread: 2021 2012 1992 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
I’m sure he has a lot to offer as a coach, but it kind of sucks for him to have his career over at 35.

Good euro level player, defender on the (at the time) #1 ranked national team in the world, MLS defender of the year a few years back and it was all downhill after he arrived.

Happy he’s glad to be back though.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
he was always good at yelling at other players so that's kinda of a good fit
I'll never forget him blowing his coverage, losing his man or going for an ill-timed tackle that lead the opposing player to break in and score, and Ciman just gets up and yells at his backline. :laugh:

He got figured out pretty quick, but when he was new to MLS he was great.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I'll never forget him blowing his coverage, losing his man or going for an ill-timed tackle that lead the opposing player to break in and score, and Ciman just gets up and yells at his backline. :laugh:

He got figured out pretty quick, but when he was new to MLS he was great.

We really need that kind of General in the back. Hopefully Struna can help in this way.

Reactions: willzyix

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Coaches EVERYWHERE:scared::scared:

I am looking forward to see him go berserk after everyone. Entertaining nutjob.

I also don't agree that its bad timing AT ALL. If this team wants to compete for coverage, they can't run away and be submissive but push their infos (if they need to, not for the sake of challenging). Believe it or not Impact has a much bigger reach worldwide than Canadiens. I guess, props to Gilmore if he thought of it....

Reactions: JayKing

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I am looking forward to see him go berserk after everyone. Entertaining nutjob.

I also don't agree that its bad timing AT ALL. If this team wants to compete for coverage, they can't run away and be submissive but push their infos (if they need to, not for the sake of challenging). Believe it or not Impact has a much bigger reach worldwide than Canadiens. I guess, props to Gilmore if he thought of it....
Heck, the MLS probably already surpassed the NHL in the US, nevermind the rest of the world

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
The money they make comes from here tho and they need butts in seats, just waiting a day or two gives you much better visibility in this city

Not being submissive is one thing but blindly going in against goliath when there's no real downsides to waiting is pointless

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
him and his family were looking to become permanent Quebec residents. he never wanted to leave...at least Toronto was close enough for him to commute - now he's back. He's always been involved in soccer community on south shore. dude has liked several of my tweets over the years, when i mentioned i hoped he'd return to CFM in some capacity

Reactions: dinodebino

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Yo Laurent, I'm happy for you and your fam, but

"Le club que j'aurais jamais du quitter"

iu

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
him and his family were looking to become permanent Quebec residents. he never wanted to leave...at least Toronto was close enough for him to commute - now he's back. He's always been involved in soccer community on south shore. dude has liked several of my tweets over the years, when i mentioned i hoped he'd return to CFM in some capacity

Are you saying you're the reason he's back

:o

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Heck, the MLS probably already surpassed the NHL in the US, nevermind the rest of the world

I don't even think it's close. I saw the most 'popular' NHLer is Ovechkin with 1,6 mil on IG same as Vela who isn't the most popular MLSer. Altidore on Twitter has nearly 1m and Giovinco nearly 1m and they are both tier II players (elite European standards), Pavon 1.3 Nani 2.1.

MLS are behind are in terms of ratings because local teams don't have an open market like NHL do with NBCS for instance, they need a bigger nationwide TV deal but Garber says it's coming within 2 years.

Nope, not in the US. Not sure about the rest of the world either.

''MLS clubs averaged 21,310 fans per game in 2019 while NHL teams averaged 17,380 per game in its mostly completed 2019-20 season.

A Gallup poll from 2017 found that 7% of Americans consider soccer to be their favorite sport to watch, good enough for fourth best. Hockey was the fifth-favorite at 4%''

No such thing as NHL 'worldwide brand', MLS is crushing NHL in terms of attendance. I mean if you have been to Southern USA, you'll know what I'm saying. Atlanta Utd has on average what 40k-50k per game? Their hockey team couldn't fill a 20k arena and had to relocate to Winnipeg out of all places. The NHL missed their chance to really become big in the 90's.

Northern cities are what's keeping NHL healthy.

NelloMello

May 10, 2013
Pierrefonds
Most profitable sports leagues:

1. National Football League (NFL) — $13 Billion
2. Major League Baseball (MLB) — $10 Billion
3. National Basketball Association (NBA) — $7.4 Billion
4. Indian Premier League (Cricket) — $6.3 Billion
5. English Premier League — $5.3 Billion
6. National Hockey League (NHL) — $4.43 Billion
7. Australian Rules Football — $2.5 Billion
8. La Liga (Spanish Football League) — $2.2 Billion
9. Serie A (Italian Football League) — $1.9 Billion
10. Ligue 1 (France/Monaco Football League) — $1.5 Billion
11. Nippon Professional Baseball (Japanese Baseball league) — $1.1 Billion

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
I don't even think it's close. I saw the most 'popular' NHLer is Ovechkin with 1,6 mil on IG same as Vela who isn't the most popular MLSer. Altidore on Twitter has nearly 1m and Giovinco nearly 1m and they are both tier II players (elite European standards), Pavon 1.3 Nani 2.1.

MLS are behind are in terms of ratings because local teams don't have an open market like NHL do with NBCS for instance, they need a bigger nationwide TV deal but Garber says it's coming within 2 years.

''MLS clubs averaged 21,310 fans per game in 2019 while NHL teams averaged 17,380 per game in its mostly completed 2019-20 season.

A Gallup poll from 2017 found that 7% of Americans consider soccer to be their favorite sport to watch, good enough for fourth best. Hockey was the fifth-favorite at 4%''

No such thing as NHL 'worldwide brand', MLS is crushing NHL in terms of attendance. I mean if you have been to Southern USA, you'll know what I'm saying. Atlanta Utd has on average what 40k-50k per game? Their hockey team couldn't fill a 20k arena and had to relocate to Winnipeg out of all places. The NHL missed their chance to really become big in the 90's.

Northern cities are what's keeping NHL healthy.
You're using stupid metrics though. Can't compare avg attendance as ticket prices aren't comparable at all and the number of events are very different (17 home games vs 41 excluding playoffs and pre-season). It is well known NHL is behind in terms of social media presence and its athletes show very poor personal branding. But NHL is still ahead of MLS by far as a league.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad