OT: Montreal Impact Thread: 2021 2012 1992 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
You're using stupid metrics though. Can't compare avg attendance as ticket prices aren't comparable at all and the number of events are very different (17 home games vs 41 excluding playoffs and pre-season). It is well known NHL is behind in terms of social media presence and its athletes show very poor personal branding. But NHL is still ahead of MLS by far as a league.

Your logic makes no sense, so what about MLB with 81 Home games? They are crushing both MLS and NHL with nearly 29k. Didnt think of that did you. As for ticket prices well if you go to the south you can get tickets cheaper than most in MLS. Montreal is overpriced because they know for a lot of ppl its their religion

NHL is only thriving because of Canada and northern American Cities. You go to Florida or Texas, they dont even know what hockey is and they think Sidney Crosby is an Australian city. Like I said in my previous MLS is behind NHL in terms of TV viewership but its normal because there is no MLS on NBC like NHL has. And TV viewership means money so more revenue. It will catch up, MLS 3.0 has been around less than 10 years.

If you still have doubts just look at the disastrous Atlanta hockey team v Atlanta soccer team and Florida Panthers v Orlando City. Dont get me wrong hockey is a nice sport just not marketable where the weather is warm. And Ive been to both Texas and Florida, I am not even kidding when I say they rather watch darts than ice hockey.

So yes for now NHL has a bigger revenue but not cultural impact in North America over MLS..

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Most profitable sports leagues:

1. National Football League (NFL) — $13 Billion
2. Major League Baseball (MLB) — $10 Billion
3. National Basketball Association (NBA) — $7.4 Billion
4. Indian Premier League (Cricket) — $6.3 Billion
5. English Premier League — $5.3 Billion
6. National Hockey League (NHL) — $4.43 Billion
7. Australian Rules Football — $2.5 Billion
8. La Liga (Spanish Football League) — $2.2 Billion
9. Serie A (Italian Football League) — $1.9 Billion
10. Ligue 1 (France/Monaco Football League) — $1.5 Billion
11. Nippon Professional Baseball (Japanese Baseball league) — $1.1 Billion

This list means nothing lol. Its all because of TV contracts that are usually signed long term. Popularity doesnt mean money. I think we can agree that worldwide Premier League, La Liga, L1 have a MUCH bigger influence than Indian cricket league, but which league makes more money? Based on that list, cricket. Glad you brought that list cuz it proves exactly what Im trying to say.

So thats the same for MLS v NHL. Markets in MLS are closed which means there is no parity like in other leagues. But the average American sport watcher could name you a player of the present/past : Chicharito, Zlatan, Rooney, Beckham .. over Subban or Crosby or Fedorov. Just compare social media numbers with them, its night and day.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Your logic makes no sense, so what about MLB with 81 Home games? They are crushing both MLS and NHL with nearly 29k. Didnt think of that did you. As for ticket prices well if you go to the south you can get tickets cheaper than most in MLS. Montreal is overpriced because they know for a lot of ppl its their religion

NHL is only thriving because of Canada and northern American Cities. You go to Florida or Texas, they dont even know what hockey is and they think Sidney Crosby is an Australian city. Like I said in my previous MLS is behind NHL in terms of TV viewership but its normal because there is no MLS on NBC like NHL has. And TV viewership means money so more revenue. It will catch up, MLS 3.0 has been around less than 10 years.

If you still have doubts just look at the disastrous Atlanta hockey team v Atlanta soccer team and Florida Panthers v Orlando City. Dont get me wrong hockey is a nice sport just not marketable where the weather is warm. And Ive been to both Texas and Florida, I am not even kidding when I say they rather watch darts than ice hockey.

So yes for now NHL has a bigger revenue but not cultural impact in North America over MLS..

Well, what you are showing here is that MLS has more growth potential revenue-wise than the NHL... and that's true. You are also arguing popularity when the real metric is $. In that metric MLS is behind the NHL (but will be in front soon enough).

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
after not looking at it for a while, glad to see this thread is still just JP saying outlandish stuff to get a reaction and everyone biting the bait like it's a free GME stock

Reactions: ArtPeur

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
EvFUxKxXAAUvdnJ

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I was kind of expecting it. He seemed detached even in the later portion of last season.

This season wont get any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad