OT: Montreal Impact Thread: 2021 2012 1992 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don't think I've complained once on Twitter about the rebrand, yet I am against it. We'll know quickly if the rebrand worked when we look at the season ticket sales, merch sales, etc. next year. If it's a failure, you can bet they'll change some of it.

One thing here.

People that are the MOST pissed about the rebrand will continue to go to the Stadium as they are the most hardcore supporters. It does not even matter. Heck, their season ticket is like $500, won't make or break the bottom line even if 20 of them do not renew.

Real revenue comes from the corporate sponsorships and TV (this one is locked in). If THAT number drops because partners does not want to be associated with a brand that has too much negative publicity, that will be the real measure of success (or failure).

To be perfectly honest, I do not think it will affect sponsorship/corporate money positively or negatively. If these people continue to buy suites and season tickets (and give them to their clients who will spend on food and beer), bottom line won't be affected. Will it bring MORE corporate customers? Not by itself, no.

At the end of the day, to me, the rebrand was a "coup d'épée dans l'eau" that pissed off hardcore fans. I do not think the business effects, good or bad, will be drastic. It just create a giant cloud of negativity around a club that does not need it. And, to be perfectly honest, if they had been more of a success on the field, the stupid rebrand would not have happened. They started asking questions about their brand because they did not have the financial results they wanted too. They do not have the financial results they want to because they always had a short-term focus. They never took the time to build the club properly. Renard seems to be doing that right now, let's see if Gilmore (Saputo, really) will have the patience to let him do his stuff. Rebrand is certainly not helping Renard as it COULD have a negative financial impact short term, especially if the team does not perform.

If they are good this year, people will quickly forget why they were pissed. If they don't? They will be more pissed. They have put themselves in a VERY tough position. They now HAVE to be successful on the field to avoid further backlash. "Capital de sympathie" is mostly gone.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
See, that's my biggest problem. When you see marketing as a creative endeavor and do not have a scientific approach, that's what happens. When you crash, you crash big.

If Kingsley was any smart, he would have not even accepted to do the rebrand because he would have seen the backlash coming. If he accepted the challenge anyway, he would have consulted the fan base, build his ally base. Secure credible forces in the market that would have helped with the rebuild. What did he really do? Build his shit in English and use Google Translate. I mean, that's how dumb it looks at times. It is cliché and tone deaf. Do not talk about f***ing roots when you just flushed 30 years of history down the drain. You are just inviting people to shit on you. Same thing with the snowflake thing. NO ONE knows the connotation? I mean, Jesus Christ... how disconnected can you be? Using "sacrebleu" in Québec, that's how disconnected.

Good communicator, great creativity, sure! I buy that. Great marketer? Bullshit. Vendeux d'bonheur. Yes.

My problem is that too many people in the field are like that. Creative first, business second. It is all about their lousy campaigns and the colors and that bullshit. Yet, they do not REALLY look at the hard data. They do not REALLY study the market... they create... and they can sell their creations well. And, when it fails, because many people think like that about marketing, it becomes "Oh well, you miss sometimes".

What he did with IMFC should be an absolute career tanker. He should go back to managing social media account at best. It is not just a failure, it is a massive failure draped in hubris. But hey, he came up with 24CH (a concept that IMFC did first with IMpact de l'Académie, I think). So he'll always get another chance.

Brand identify and the relationship your customers have with your brand is perhaps the most important thing in marketing. They botched that. Like HARDCORE! It might boost t-shirt sales for a quarter though!

24CH was based on HBO's series 24/7 surrounding the Winter Classics in hockey. They made it a permanent all-season thing and more bland as time went by, but at first it was great.

I'm not a marketing guy, and you may be right that all this needs to be based on facts to be successful. But it seems to me that a lot of campaigns are hit or miss because you're dealing with human feelings, not chemistry. A successful marketing recipe in the 50s may not work in the 2020s. Human feelings are also hard to predict. If you do your research and focus groups, you can get more info as to what the reaction to your campaign may be, but there's always a lot of unknown I feel.

Again, I'm a finance lad. Marketing is not my thing, so I could be out to lunch with this take.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
24CH was based on HBO's series 24/7 surrounding the Winter Classics in hockey. They made it a permanent all-season thing and more bland as time went by, but at first it was great.

I'm not a marketing guy, and you may be right that all this needs to be based on facts to be successful. But it seems to me that a lot of campaigns are hit or miss because you're dealing with human feelings, not chemistry. A successful marketing recipe in the 50s may not work in the 2020s. Human feelings are also hard to predict. If you do your research and focus groups, you can get more info as to what the reaction to your campaign may be, but there's always a lot of unknown I feel.

Again, I'm a finance lad. Marketing is not my thing, so I could be out to lunch with this take.

You are not wrong at all. It can be hit or miss, but a REAL good marketer is someone who can manage risk the right way. No one is above failure, but anyone who is AT LEAST half competent would not have made as many preventable mistakes as they did. To be fair, MAYBE there was interference from Saputo, who knows. Maybe HE ordered a rebrand even if his people told him it was a bad idea. That's a possibility. That being said, it does not excuse all the blunders.

There is PLENTY of data that can help you predict behavior. There is PLENTY of research you can do before going all in with a rebrand. You can study precedent to. What happens to club that go through rebrands? What are the consequences? Is the risk worth it?

I understand that B2C is less "scientific" than B2B, but still, there are so many things you can measure and adjust. Snowflakes... in this social climate? Does not take a genius to not do that. "Sacrebleu" in Québec. Same. All the "Anglicismes". The generic black kit (that might be on Adidas though). The posts only in English. ALL of these things were EASILY preventable... given that you know your audience.

And then, when you design your stuff, you can do focus groups. I mean, if they did a focus group... they clearly did not listen to it or they built it poorly. All the errors seem to be about the process. HOW they did it. They are absolutely tone deaf. Club de Pied, I mean, the way they came up with that one is pretty pathetic (immigrant kids say they play "foot". I mean, fine, but they are not your core market and even them would not like a name like that).

I mean, branding is tough. Not gonna pretend otherwise, but gosh, they really botched it and, as I said, 90% of it was easily avoidable. CF Montreal, I would still dislike it because it is not what I am used too, but it would at least not be completely pathetic. I could live with the boring shirt if we had a cool crest. And the arrogance when they presented their bs, SACRE BLEU! (Lol)

BigBoyNoise87

Feb 5, 2021
I plan on ignoring the Club de Foot part and just saying CF at this point. Crest change, who knows but bad sales and a couple years changes everything.
Worst part is the Impact had one of the best logos/kits in the league by far. The shield, fleur de Lis, black, blue and silver trim looked so sharp on the field. Especially the 2016 edition when we made the run to the ECF. It didn’t need to be done. I guess they feel that by rebranding they’ll erase all the tough times they’ve had since joining MLS. Very very unfortunate. Even more surprised that Joey signed off on this. If they win, then this monstrosity will be tolerable.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I would argue that he tried to be TOO creative.

The weird explanation for the snowflakes, the bad peotry, etc.
The way I see it is he took the same concept he used for the Olympics and then came the ultra cheese to try to make it fit to a soccer team.

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
See, that's my biggest problem. When you see marketing as a creative endeavor and do not have a scientific approach, that's what happens. When you crash, you crash big.

If Kingsley was any smart, he would have not even accepted to do the rebrand because he would have seen the backlash coming. If he accepted the challenge anyway, he would have consulted the fan base, build his ally base. Secure credible forces in the market that would have helped with the rebuild. What did he really do? Build his shit in English and use Google Translate. I mean, that's how dumb it looks at times. It is cliché and tone deaf. Do not talk about f***ing roots when you just flushed 30 years of history down the drain. You are just inviting people to shit on you. Same thing with the snowflake thing. NO ONE knows the connotation? I mean, Jesus Christ... how disconnected can you be? Using "sacrebleu" in Québec, that's how disconnected.

Good communicator, great creativity, sure! I buy that. Great marketer? Bullshit. Vendeux d'bonheur. Yes.

My problem is that too many people in the field are like that. Creative first, business second. It is all about their lousy campaigns and the colors and that bullshit. Yet, they do not REALLY look at the hard data. They do not REALLY study the market... they create... and they can sell their creations well. And, when it fails, because many people think like that about marketing, it becomes "Oh well, you miss sometimes".

What he did with IMFC should be an absolute career tanker. He should go back to managing social media account at best. It is not just a failure, it is a massive failure draped in hubris. But hey, he came up with 24CH (a concept that IMFC did first with IMpact de l'Académie, I think). So he'll always get another chance.

Brand identify and the relationship your customers have with your brand is perhaps the most important thing in marketing. They botched that. Like HARDCORE! It might boost t-shirt sales for a quarter though!

even 24 CH is not original. IIRC the NHL did something similar for the earlier winter classics...

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
You are not wrong at all. It can be hit or miss, but a REAL good marketer is someone who can manage risk the right way. No one is above failure, but anyone who is AT LEAST half competent would not have made as many preventable mistakes as they did. To be fair, MAYBE there was interference from Saputo, who knows. Maybe HE ordered a rebrand even if his people told him it was a bad idea. That's a possibility. That being said, it does not excuse all the blunders.

There is PLENTY of data that can help you predict behavior. There is PLENTY of research you can do before going all in with a rebrand. You can study precedent to. What happens to club that go through rebrands? What are the consequences? Is the risk worth it?

I understand that B2C is less "scientific" than B2B, but still, there are so many things you can measure and adjust. Snowflakes... in this social climate? Does not take a genius to not do that. "Sacrebleu" in Québec. Same. All the "Anglicismes". The generic black kit (that might be on Adidas though). The posts only in English. ALL of these things were EASILY preventable... given that you know your audience.

And then, when you design your stuff, you can do focus groups. I mean, if they did a focus group... they clearly did not listen to it or they built it poorly. All the errors seem to be about the process. HOW they did it. They are absolutely tone deaf. Club de Pied, I mean, the way they came up with that one is pretty pathetic (immigrant kids say they play "foot". I mean, fine, but they are not your core market and even them would not like a name like that).

I mean, branding is tough. Not gonna pretend otherwise, but gosh, they really botched it and, as I said, 90% of it was easily avoidable. CF Montreal, I would still dislike it because it is not what I am used too, but it would at least not be completely pathetic. I could live with the boring shirt if we had a cool crest. And the arrogance when they presented their bs, SACRE BLEU! (Lol)

Pretty sure Saputo was against the rebrand. He was not convincing in that video.

This was a complete marketing failure to fans, I'm with you. They should have tested their ideas more with the current fans and potential fans. Gilmore went all in on the rebrand and let Kingsley and this other guy loose with their ideas.

As you pointed out earlier, their main objective for the rebrand is corporate money. Fingers crossed for them that it worked, but I have big doubts.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Remember guys..that is was that duo (Gilmore -Kingsley)...with the Habs at the time who did the famous slogan....: Le Club du Hockey......pathetic...

..and the worst part is that Gilmore wanted that slogan forever and not just for one season like the city is Hockey...etc..

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The logo is not visible, so I'll still download the wallpaper.
HRI7zad.png

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I saw unconfirmed reports we got about 800k left in cap space considering a DP is 600k and that MLS teams are raiding River Plate now, we should take a look at Matias Suarez. Renard knows him well as he played in Belgium for 8 years. He's 32, fit, lean, complete forward with no flaws in his game.

Henry Martin from Club America has a contract running out, probably not good enough for Europe Imo

There's also Moussa Marega with an expiring contract we could try our shot with that I don't know much but from some highlights he seems like money.

I just don't trust Johnsen as #1 CF

Remember guys..that is was that duo (Gilmore -Kingsley)...with the Habs at the time who did the famous slogan....: Le Club du Hockey......pathetic...

..and the worst part is that Gilmore wanted that slogan forever and not just for one season like the city is Hockey...etc..

Seems like he just lacks or lacked many aspects in his life and wants to overcompensate by validating his ego. That's Self validation to the core, not normal behavior. Gotta keep an eye on both, they're big weirdos and I never said this about anyone working at the club whether player or staff member...

Reactions: Olfer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad