OT: Montreal Impact Thread: 2021 2012 1992 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
So he does motivational conferences on the side ? Is that his main gig?

Seems like some sort of branding guru, semi-public figure.

In the video he says he sucks at art direction and graphic design. I wonder if he's the one who actually designed the logo.

The whole pseudo-poetic slogan thing of the re-brand sure does seem to come from him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Seems like some sort of branding guru, semi-public figure.

In the video he says he sucks at art direction and graphic design. I wonder if he's the one who actually designed the logo.

The whole pseudo-poetic slogan thing of the re-brand sure does seem to come from him.
That reminds me of a director commentary for a movie I once listen to where the guy was saying stuff like '' I really suck at filming dialogue and scene composition, I just let the actors figure that stuff out'' . It's like, dude, come on, at least pretend like you know what you're doing :laugh:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
C'est un vendeur de bonheur.

A hack. A f***ing loser that built HIS brand and feeds bs to naive idiots who do not understand marketing. I guess Gilmore got sold.

Kingsley is legit, but as any marketing guy, you nail some ideas and you miss by a wide margin. It's fair to say it's the latter with the Impact.

24CH was a brilliant idea, same for the marketing surrounding GSP. Maybe he lost his touch. Gilmore might have given too much leeway, but personally I put a lot of blame on Gilmore. He's the one who wanted to rebrand in the first place. He did well in hiring Renard. But marketing and business wise I'm not impressed. We don't have access to the numbers, but I'd bet the team is not really in a better position financially than it was before his arrival. Of course the Covid is a huge factor...

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Kingsley is legit, but as any marketing guy, you nail some ideas and you miss by a wide margin. It's fair to say it's the latter with the Impact.

24CH was a brilliant idea, same for the marketing surrounding GSP. Maybe he lost his touch. Gilmore might have given too much leeway, but personally I put a lot of blame on Gilmore. He's the one who wanted to rebrand in the first place. He did well in hiring Renard. But marketing and business wise I'm not impressed. We don't have access to the numbers, but I'd bet the team is not really in a better position financially than it was before his arrival. Of course the Covid is a huge factor...

Honestly, a rebrand would have been fine to boost some initial sales during VERY challenging times, and to potentially grow the brand to new heights. That possibility was there. Unfortunately, they botched it on so many levels, not just one.

If the logo is a fkn snowflake but the colours are cool, the team name is great, and the kit looks nice, then it's all good! There are tons of lame logos in football that mean something eventually when the wins pile up.

But the logo sucks, so the kit sucks too because they doubled down on the whole snowflake thing, AND the name sucks! The damage is done though, and I just want the season to start so we can cheer for the club again.

-----------

With all that said, I don't get the ppl shitting on all their posts, not giving them room to breath. FFS move on. Don't buy anything with their logo if you think it sucks (That's what I'm doing lol), but move the fk on with your life. We're all fans of the sport AND proud of our city / province. That's why we cheer for the club... and if it's not the case, and this branding and shallow stuff is enough to deter you... don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
you have to give it to him , he is a good public speaker.

But the thing is , despite bombastic presentation, IMFC fans didn't buy his BS re-branding. we didn't want it, we didn't need it.
le gars est payé pour vendre du rêve , il nous a livré le pire de nos cauchemars .....

Reactions: TRG and ArtPeur

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
C'est un vendeur de bonheur.

A hack. A f***ing loser that built HIS brand and feeds bs to naive idiots who do not understand marketing. I guess Gilmore got sold.
harsh but true. how many times did he legitimize himself by claiming he is a NYT best-seller .....like dude , a GSP coloring book would have been a NYT best-seller .....

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Honestly, a rebrand would have been fine to boost some initial sales during VERY challenging times, and to potentially grow the brand to new heights. That possibility was there. Unfortunately, they botched it on so many levels, not just one.

If the logo is a fkn snowflake but the colours are cool, the team name is great, and the kit looks nice, then it's all good! There are tons of lame logos in football that mean something eventually when the wins pile up.

But the logo sucks, so the kit sucks too because they doubled down on the whole snowflake thing, AND the name sucks! The damage is done though, and I just want the season to start so we can cheer for the club again.

-----------

With all that said, I don't get the ppl shitting on all their posts, not giving them room to breath. FFS move on. Don't buy anything with their logo if you think it sucks (That's what I'm doing lol), but move the fk on with your life. We're all fans of the sport AND proud of our city / province. That's why we cheer for the club... and if it's not the case, and this branding and shallow stuff is enough to deter you... don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Almost all of the anti rebrand posts are by the same group of posters.

They can bitch and moan on Twitter as much as they want, but the reality is we don’t really know how it’s being perceived outside of the hardcore bubble of fans.

Does it really matter if TFC or VWC fans are laughing at us? They would anyway. If a very loud (but small percentage) of people are pissed, I don’t think the org would mind so much as long as it’s well received by the general public.

Marcuzzi posted an article stating that 11% of French speakers in Quebec are on Twitter. How many of them are IMFC fans? 1%?

The orgs probably not blind to the numbers. A lot of their decisions are dumb but people are stupid too, and if they’re not plugged into the hardcore MLS fandom, they might see the snowflake and be like “f*** yeah, this is the shit”.

That’s why it sucks that we won’t see attendance numbers this year, but it might give them time to put together some of the other things they’re talking about like the 24CH equivalent that can help grow the team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As I and others have said before, the one true rebrand is going to come from the play on the pitch anyway. If the team does well it really won't matter if they're wearing potato sacks out there. The casual fanbase seems small enough to where it's close to starting from scratch in any case.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

See, that's my biggest problem. When you see marketing as a creative endeavor and do not have a scientific approach, that's what happens. When you crash, you crash big.

If Kingsley was any smart, he would have not even accepted to do the rebrand because he would have seen the backlash coming. If he accepted the challenge anyway, he would have consulted the fan base, build his ally base. Secure credible forces in the market that would have helped with the rebuild. What did he really do? Build his shit in English and use Google Translate. I mean, that's how dumb it looks at times. It is cliché and tone deaf. Do not talk about f***ing roots when you just flushed 30 years of history down the drain. You are just inviting people to shit on you. Same thing with the snowflake thing. NO ONE knows the connotation? I mean, Jesus Christ... how disconnected can you be? Using "sacrebleu" in Québec, that's how disconnected.

Good communicator, great creativity, sure! I buy that. Great marketer? Bullshit. Vendeux d'bonheur. Yes.

My problem is that too many people in the field are like that. Creative first, business second. It is all about their lousy campaigns and the colors and that bullshit. Yet, they do not REALLY look at the hard data. They do not REALLY study the market... they create... and they can sell their creations well. And, when it fails, because many people think like that about marketing, it becomes "Oh well, you miss sometimes".

What he did with IMFC should be an absolute career tanker. He should go back to managing social media account at best. It is not just a failure, it is a massive failure draped in hubris. But hey, he came up with 24CH (a concept that IMFC did first with IMpact de l'Académie, I think). So he'll always get another chance.

Brand identify and the relationship your customers have with your brand is perhaps the most important thing in marketing. They botched that. Like HARDCORE! It might boost t-shirt sales for a quarter though!

Reactions: TRG and Woland

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Creative?

Was he really creative in this instance though?

emmllOm.png

Reactions: JayKing and TRG

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
Does Sagna and Henry have beef? I heard rumors about them not liking each other. Sagna's story on Instagram reminded me of this possibility.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Almost all of the anti rebrand posts are by the same group of posters.

They can bitch and moan on Twitter as much as they want, but the reality is we don’t really know how it’s being perceived outside of the hardcore bubble of fans.

Does it really matter if TFC or VWC fans are laughing at us? They would anyway. If a very loud (but small percentage) of people are pissed, I don’t think the org would mind so much as long as it’s well received by the general public.

Marcuzzi posted an article stating that 11% of French speakers in Quebec are on Twitter. How many of them are IMFC fans? 1%?

The orgs probably not blind to the numbers. A lot of their decisions are dumb but people are stupid too, and if they’re not plugged into the hardcore MLS fandom, they might see the snowflake and be like “f*** yeah, this is the shit”.

That’s why it sucks that we won’t see attendance numbers this year, but it might give them time to put together some of the other things they’re talking about like the 24CH equivalent that can help grow the team.

I don't think I've complained once on Twitter about the rebrand, yet I am against it. We'll know quickly if the rebrand worked when we look at the season ticket sales, merch sales, etc. next year. If it's a failure, you can bet they'll change some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad