Rumor: Moen on the Market!

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Moen's done and I'm glad. He never quite was the player I thought we were getting.

He plays very well when he's on a contract year. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen often enough. I was against signing him again, but I can understand why he was seen as good depth to have. Now he just doesn't fit anywhere anymore, and giving our chronic lack of size that's something.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Need to free up $$ for the Bouillon contract :sarcasm:

Seriously though I doubt Moen will be hard to move he's a gritty depth vet teams like that sort.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Moen is an underrated defensive forward.

He is one of the best defensive career 4rth liner in the game. That guy is reliable (I repeat, for a 4rth liner), he can play on the 2nd wave PK (good for any 4rth liner really), and isnt a liability when on the ice and can finish his checks and somehow fight (will he anymore ?), but his biggest asset is that he covers his position pretty well defensively, won't make any glaring mistakes, will get a few points here and there and thus will STILL be a plus guy at the end of the day. His goal isn't to score goals, it's to eat minutes when the team has a lead and be tough to play against in general. Sure it's not his job to go out and score goals and create some plays, but are 4rth liners expected to score more than 10 goals or 15 points really now in the NHL ? Nope leave that wish for our third, second and first liners. If the team is weak offensively I won't blame a Moen for that, he's not the root of the problem. If MB signed one too many 4rth liners now, whooops. I'd rather have Moen than a plug enforcer, I'd rather have Moen than a AHL goal scorer on my fourth line. He's the perfect 13th forward, NVM his salary, cap hit dosen't win you games.

And this is why he was signed at 1.8M, that guy has that career defensive forward skill that ca earn him a spot in NHL teams. Moar skilled guys will also get scored more often, if the Habs are a defensive mindset team, Moen fits perfectly on the bottom line. I'd even say that he's more reliable than Prust defensively, but Prust brings a physical aspect Moen can't bring anymore, for their actual hockey play it's a wash though. Why was Kirk Maltby a solid NHL 4rth liner although he never fought or killed anyone with his manly ability to throw his weight around ? He and Moen are kind of similar ilk now at the end of their careers, they still have a use over some plug that can hit / fight harder. At the end of a third period in the Playoffs, on the PK, who'd you prefer ? Prust or Moen ? Pacioretty or Moen ? Gallagher or Moen ? Parenteau or Moen ? Bourque or Moen ? Weise or Moen ? Bournival or Moen ? Personnaly on all the Habs regular wingers, he the most apt for 2nd wave PK and safe minutes at ES. At least he would be more useful in case of injuries than a guy like Thomas or Dumont on our bottom line.

Speedy skating is the big issue in this era, along with toughness not just size, two players that exemplify these characteristics are Christian Thomas and Drayson Bowman. Given that Sekac will be in the lineup and JDLR will have to put in time in the AHL, Bournival has his spot sewn up IMHO.:nod::nod:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Still hoping that the young Ds turn the corner. Maybe we'll also start hearing about movements at D... (Fingers crossed)

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I would like to see Bergevin trade Bourque and Moen both.

Bourque = 2nd round draft pick or a prospect
Moen = 5th round draft pick

Line up:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau
Eller - Plekanec - Sekac
Thomas - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Bournival

Gilbert - Subban
Emelin - Markov
Beaulieu - Weaver
Drewiske

Price
Budaj
Tokarski

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Great idea. Move Moen out, bring in a young crazy part time enforcer and let a youngster get a chance to develop.

Bowman looks like a very good replacement.

Edit. Get rid of Bourque as well. Dead weight.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I would like to see Bergevin trade Bourque and Moen both.

Bourque = 2nd round draft pick or a prospect
Moen = 5th round draft pick

Line up:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau
Eller - Plekanec - Sekac
Thomas - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Bournival

Gilbert - Subban
Emelin - Markov
Beaulieu - Weaver
Drewiske

Price
Budaj
Tokarski

Gotta be very careful with Bourque. If the Bourque from the playoffs shows up we can use the guy. It's not Thomas or even Sekac right now that can make us move a player like Bourque for simply a pick. We don't need that right now, we need a deep team and we have one

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Sorry, I'm with those people who would rather keep him then just getting rid of him for spare parts. If we can get a useful pick, useful player or a high reward prospect who has disappointed (i.e. a project) then I'm all for it, otherwise, keep him as he would prove useful sometime during the season.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I think it is simply time to cut ties.
If it is preventing us from adding a Sekac to the line up for example... bye bye
We keep on hearing about the depth we are building in Ham.
Well I would much rather choose door number 2...
No use having depth you don't use.

What would Moen have to do with Sekac?

Last year we kept White and Parros on the roster for the whole year. This year, Moen can be kept in the stands until needed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What would Moen have to do with Sekac?

Last year we kept White and Parros on the roster for the whole year. This year, Moen can be kept in the stands until needed.

Do you know for a fact we are breaking camp with 14 forwards?
Cause we got 13 already if we include Moen.

Zephyr666

Apr 17, 2013
I guess we have some prohets here, everyone ignored Moen on their lineup projections in the past weeks !!!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
That all depends who's able to replace Moen's PK minutes on that 4rth line with Malhotra. I don't see both Weise or Prust a fit on the PK.

PK waves :

Plekanec - Sekac
Malhotra - Weise
Eller - Prust

Not sure either of those 2nd or 3rd waves are better than Center - Moen, when game is on the line.

Also, you prefer fast possession bottom six but the youngsters coming from Hamilton and claiming a spot on the bottom line aren't exactly possession types of players in the NHL, we don't know yet, we're talking about Thomas, Dumont, Sorkin (?) there, not some known safe play by a good vet like Moen. So, not sure how replacing Moen's role with any of our current players / youngsters makes us any better, especially if all you get in return are draft pick or future consideration (basically, gaining moar cap hit)

I've stated several times that I don't want Thomas in our bottom 6 and that Dumont is too small for the type of player he projects to be. If I'm not mistaken, Sorkin is signed to an AHL contract so wouldn't be able to play in the NHL.

The two young players that I'd rather have in the lineup are Bourni and DLR. Both are much faster than Moen. Both play a possession-type game thanks to their aggressive forecheck and north-south play.

As for the PK:

Plek-Patches
Malhotra-Eller

Don't be so quick to forget Patches progression as a two-way forward. MT started using him on the PK last season and he flourished in that role.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've stated several times that I don't want Thomas in our bottom 6 and that Dumont is too small for the type of player he projects to be. If I'm not mistaken, Sorkin is signed to an AHL contract so wouldn't be able to play in the NHL.

Don't be so quick to forget Patches progression as a two-way forward. MT started using him on the PK last season and he flourished in that role.

MT needs to start using him with Plecks period...

habitue*

7th round pick, here you come!!

We could be surprised and get a 5th rounder ! or another fringe NHL forward (an enforcer) or # 8 D-man.

He would be a good fit out West in Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad