Rumor: Moen on the Market!

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
It's better then nothing. It's also 2 years off the books and a cap hit of 1.85 per year. It's a role a younger player could do at half the cost

I agree. Moen was okay with us, but I'd prefer to see a young guy take his place. The cap relief would be well welcomed too.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I agree. Moen was okay with us, but I'd prefer to see a young guy take his place. The cap relief would be well welcomed too.

Right now a young(er) guy's already taken his place in Weise(and Bournival). That basically happened last year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Moen is underappreciated by most people here. Always liked his play and gave 100% effort.

Disagree...
Always appreciated what Moen did and eventually tried to do for this club.
Steeds get retired all the time.
We HAVE to make some tough/unpopular moves to grow.
Guess What I doubt MB is finished yet.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
...unless they chose to do some kind of timeshare with the #5-6-7 spots and each plays 65-70% of games, that would include Weaver.

That's how I would manage it. In professional soccer, you see that all the time: even the best players get rotated in and out. This strikes me as the best way to give the young guys experience while limiting the team's exposure. Just make sure that two rookies are never on the same pairing, which is manageable as well, especially if they want to give Beaulieu a taste of the top two pairings now and then.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's how I would manage it. In professional soccer, you see that all the time: even the best players get rotated in and out. This strikes me as the best way to give the young guys experience while limiting the team's exposure. Just make sure that two rookies are never on the same pairing, which is manageable as well, especially if they want to give Beaulieu a taste of the top two pairings now and then.

Before you get to that point, those guys have to show you they definitely belong in the NHL, so far Beaulieu Tinordi and Pateryn have all had rough patches...but it's early in camp.

The last 2 years the front office has preferred to keep young guys in Hamilton rather than an NHL timeshare, obviously that can change once guys are no longer waiver exempt.

A lot of different scenarios on defense for #6-7...Beaulieu Tinordi Pateryn Bouillon Nygren Drewiske could all earn one of those two spots.

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I really think that Moen has very little value. I am saying that as a Moen fan as well.

Everyone knows that he is a bottom six if not just a bottom line forward. He provides very little in terms of offence. Sure he hustles and hits and sometimes fights. He does have some positive characteristics to his game.

The problem is that just about all teams already have a player that fits that mold in their system already. Why would you pay a premium (draft pick or any other asset) to get a player when you can try a guy of yours out for free. Plus with his age you know that he does not have some untapped potential ready to come out.

I think the only way that Moen is not on the team come opening night is if some team claims him or if the Habs take on a player who has a bigger cap hit than Moen but is in the last year of their contract.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Moen is an underrated defensive forward.

He is one of the best defensive career 4rth liner in the game. That guy is reliable (I repeat, for a 4rth liner), he can play on the 2nd wave PK (good for any 4rth liner really), and isnt a liability when on the ice and can finish his checks and somehow fight (will he anymore ?), but his biggest asset is that he covers his position pretty well defensively, won't make any glaring mistakes, will get a few points here and there and thus will STILL be a plus guy at the end of the day. His goal isn't to score goals, it's to eat minutes when the team has a lead and be tough to play against in general. Sure it's not his job to go out and score goals and create some plays, but are 4rth liners expected to score more than 10 goals or 15 points really now in the NHL ? Nope leave that wish for our third, second and first liners. If the team is weak offensively I won't blame a Moen for that, he's not the root of the problem. If MB signed one too many 4rth liners now, whooops. I'd rather have Moen than a plug enforcer, I'd rather have Moen than a AHL goal scorer on my fourth line. He's the perfect 13th forward, NVM his salary, cap hit dosen't win you games.

And this is why he was signed at 1.8M, that guy has that career defensive forward skill that ca earn him a spot in NHL teams. Moar skilled guys will also get scored more often, if the Habs are a defensive mindset team, Moen fits perfectly on the bottom line. I'd even say that he's more reliable than Prust defensively, but Prust brings a physical aspect Moen can't bring anymore, for their actual hockey play it's a wash though. Why was Kirk Maltby a solid NHL 4rth liner although he never fought or killed anyone with his manly ability to throw his weight around ? He and Moen are kind of similar ilk now at the end of their careers, they still have a use over some plug that can hit / fight harder. At the end of a third period in the Playoffs, on the PK, who'd you prefer ? Prust or Moen ? Pacioretty or Moen ? Gallagher or Moen ? Parenteau or Moen ? Bourque or Moen ? Weise or Moen ? Bournival or Moen ? Personnaly on all the Habs regular wingers, he the most apt for 2nd wave PK and safe minutes at ES. At least he would be more useful in case of injuries than a guy like Thomas or Dumont on our bottom line.

Last edited:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

the thing I don't get it is it looked like moen was pretty much gonna be the guy sitting in the press box....so....if his is a decision based on how well our youngsters have improved and clearing a spot for them....how can it possibly be to sit in the press box....it cant be....we're not putting kids in the stands...bergevins already said this....

pac -dd - parenteau
chuckie - pleks-sekac
bourque - eller - gally
prust - malhotra weise

I know this isn't set in stone....but DD pac have always had undeniable chemistry and parenteau is obviousy the plan for their right wing..hes been great there with them.

pleks and sekac have chemistry and I really, really believe sekac makes this team, and chuckie's obviously gonna slot into a top six wing if he's not going at centre.

the third line are obviously on the team, and the 4th line have been fantastic together as well....so...are we jut going to call up some mathieu darche type from hamilton to ride the pine...or is their more going down here. bourque?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Makes sense... I'd take a draft pick back if there are any middle-of-the-pack teams that can take his cap hit. He's been good for us over the years, but at this point there is just no space for him. There seems to be a trend toward faster possession players bottom 6 players, and Moen doesn't fit the bill.

Looks like Therrien will be going with Prust-Malhotra-Weise on the 4th line. And when injuries come, we'll have an abundance of young players to call on in the AHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't trade Moen unless we get something tangible to help the team. If it's just a low pick, I'd keep him for depth.

I think it is simply time to cut ties.
If it is preventing us from adding a Sekac to the line up for example... bye bye
We keep on hearing about the depth we are building in Ham.
Well I would much rather choose door number 2...
No use having depth you don't use.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why would we trade Moen? He's the type of player we need.

He's old, slow, concussion history and he has no place in the line-up.

We have young players looking for spots. Can't keep Moen for two more seasons he's just a **** block for younger and more talented players

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Makes sense... I'd take a draft pick back if there are any middle-of-the-pack teams that can take his cap hit. He's been good for us over the years, but at this point there is just no space for him. There seems to be a trend toward faster possession players bottom 6 players, and Moen doesn't fit the bill.

Looks like Therrien will be going with Prust-Malhotra-Weise on the 4th line. And when injuries come, we'll have an abundance of young players to call on in the AHL.

That all depends who's able to replace Moen's PK minutes on that 4rth line with Malhotra. I don't see both Weise or Prust a fit on the PK.

PK waves :

Plekanec - Sekac
Malhotra - Weise
Eller - Prust

Not sure either of those 2nd or 3rd waves are better than Center - Moen, when game is on the line.

Also, you prefer fast possession bottom six but the youngsters coming from Hamilton and claiming a spot on the bottom line aren't exactly possession types of players in the NHL, we don't know yet, we're talking about Thomas, Dumont, Sorkin (?) there, not some known safe play by a good vet like Moen. So, not sure how replacing Moen's role with any of our current players / youngsters makes us any better, especially if all you get in return are draft pick or future consideration (basically, gaining moar cap hit)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That all depends who's able to replace Moen's PK minutes on that 4rth line with Malhotra. I don't see both Weise or Prust a fit on the PK.

PK waves :

Plekanec - Sekac
Malhotra - Weise
Eller - Prust

Not sure either of those waves are better than Center - Moen, when game is on the line.

Also, you prefer fast possession bottom six but the youngsters coming from Hamilton and claiming a spot on the bottom line aren't exactly possession types of players in the NHL, we don't know yet, we're talking about Thomas, Dumont, Sorkin (?) there, not some known safe play by a good vet like Moen. So, not sure how replacing Moen's role with any of our current players / youngsters makes us any better, especially if all you get in return are draft pick or future consideration (basically, gaining moar cap hit)

I want to see Plekanec-Bournival as a PK tandem.
Patches was used effectively on the PK last year as well and it's great to keep him involved in the game.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Patches was used effectively on the PK last year as well and it's great to keep him involved in the game.
If anything, I can't see why Eller - PAC couldn't make a pair on the PK.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I want to see any combo of Plecky Patches/Bourni
Eller Patches/Bourni

Can't believe people talking of dumping Bourni :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad