Rumor: Moen on the Market!

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
No surprises really.

Bergevin stated that he wanted the youth to force him to play his hand.

I think Sekac, Thomas, Bournival might stick with the team. Sorkin will probably go to Hamilton to fill Thomas's spot.

There is a team out there who could use Moen. A draft pick will get it done.

I still believe personally that Carolina is the best place as they are looking and needing depth in the bottom 6.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No surprise there...

Not sure what he'll be able to get, but if he can land a pick or a "moonshot" prospect (low probability/high reward), great.

A press box enforcer might also work.

Not expecting much, as long as we aren't taking salary back, not much to lose

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Not surprising. There just doesn't seem like there's a spot. I think he's worth more than a 13th forward, just not on our team. The depth we have acquired just naturally edged him out. We need the cap space for possible trades, or simply re-signing all our RFAs at the end of the season.

I'll believe this to be just a rumor, until a trade actually happens. I believe Moen can net a better return than a 7th round pick. He's a vet, a playoff vet. He's physical, decent defensively, plays the PK, looks out for his team and would be good in a bottom 6 role. He's looked a bit slow lately, but I think he can get back into shape. He won't get us a top 6 player unless packaged somehow, he certainly won't be the center piece of the trade. I think he can get us a decent prospect or a better pick. Moen isn't rubbish, he just doesn't fit in our roster anymore.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
With Staal injury, the Canes only have 10 forwards under contract. I can see a fit with the Hurricanes, no?

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
No surprises really.

Bergevin stated that he wanted the youth to force him to play his hand.

I think Sekac, Thomas, Bournival might stick with the team. Sorkin will probably go to Hamilton to fill Thomas's spot.

There is a team out there who could use Moen. A draft pick will get it done.

I still believe personally that Carolina is the best place as they are looking and needing depth in the bottom 6.

In the situation they are, and with the J. Staal injury on top of that, my guess is they'll try to go with youth. I think they have to worse D in the conference, and the worse bottom 6, I agree with you. I think they have a legitimate shot at McDavid!

I think the Islanders could want some vet leadership to surround a group that they hope will make the playoffs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd keep him as depth, injuries will come. But Habs lose him for nil to waivers so might as well get something for him. A 5th rounder I'd predict

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'd keep him as depth, injuries will come. But Habs lose him for nil to waivers so might as well get something for him. A 5th rounder I'd predict

Nah if we could call up a Blunden in a pinch last year... :help:
We are GTG this year.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I'd be happy if he's traded and in return we get.......nothing.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
He will only find takers if he adds some youth to the deal.
Are there any Cap challenged clubs still out there with regards to the floor?

All teams are over the cap floor. But there are a few that have over 10-15 mill left to spend: Calgary, Columbus, Ottawa, Nashville, Arizona, Buffalo, N.Y.I.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not surprising. There just doesn't seem like there's a spot. I think he's worth more than a 13th forward, just not on our team. The depth we have acquired just naturally edged him out. We need the cap space for possible trades, or simply re-signing all our RFAs at the end of the season.

I'll believe this to be just a rumor, until a trade actually happens. I believe Moen can net a better return than a 7th round pick. He's a vet, a playoff vet. He's physical, decent defensively, plays the PK, looks out for his team and would be good in a bottom 6 role. He's looked a bit slow lately, but I think he can get back into shape. He won't get us a top 6 player unless packaged somehow, he certainly won't be the center piece of the trade. I think he can get us a decent prospect or a better pick. Moen isn't rubbish, he just doesn't fit in our roster anymore.

The problem trying to move him isn't that nobody wans him, it's that they don't want him at his near 2 mil cap hit. At 1 mil he'd be easy to move...

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
My guess is MB would need to eat 300-400 k of his cap hit or take back a bad contract to move him.

No room on the 4th line with Weise Bournival Prust and Malhotra.

My guesses:
-Trades Moen part of a package, gets an asset.
-Trades Moen for a pick or an average prospect, eats a bit of salary.

Moen makes 1.85 mill per year for two years. That isn't huge and it isn't a bad contract either. Makes no sense for MB to trade Moen if he's going to take a bad contract unless it's for 1 year only. Even at that, we could really use the cap space, up until trade deadline. Imo, we get a pick, or an AHLer.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
The problem trying to move him isn't that nobody wans him, it's that they don't want him at his near 2 mil cap hit. At 1 mil he'd be easy to move...

3.7 mill over two years is pretty reasonable for a bottom 6, defensively reliable, physical, team defending, cup veteran. Moen also tends to step up his game in a big way during playoffs. The only problem is he doesn't fit on our team. I'm sure many other teams will see him as a good asset to have on and off the ice. 3.7 mill over two years (1.85 per) is something almost any team can work around or deal with if Moen doesn't do great. It's not as if a team is getting tied down for 4 years.

I don't believe this contract will be a hard thing to trade. This contract isn't a bargain, but it's good value for somebody like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad