Rumor: Moen on the Market!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
My guesses:
-Trades Moen part of a package, gets an asset.
-Trades Moen for a pick or an average prospect, eats a bit of salary.

Moen makes 1.85 mill per year for two years. That isn't huge and it isn't a bad contract either. Makes no sense for MB to trade Moen if he's going to take a bad contract unless it's for 1 year only. Even at that, we could really use the cap space, up until trade deadline. Imo, we get a pick, or an AHLer.

If you take a bad contract for say 1.25-1.3 mil, you can sent that player to Hamilton and only 350-400k counts against the cap.

1.85 mil isn't a huge cap hit, but for a 4th liner it's pretty big. Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
3.7 mill over two years is pretty reasonable for a bottom 6, defensively reliable, physical, team defending, cup veteran. Moen also tends to step up his game in a big way during playoffs. The only problem is he doesn't fit on our team. I'm sure many other teams will see him as a good asset to have on and off the ice. 3.7 mill over two years (1.85 per) is something almost any team can work around or deal with if Moen doesn't do great. It's not as if a team is getting tied down for 4 years.

I don't believe this contract will be a hard thing to trade. This contract isn't a bargain, but it's good value for somebody like him.

I think Moen is not the player he used to be, maybe it's the pace of game that's quicker or his concussion. I think 2 years ago, would not have been hard to find a taker for him at that cap hit for a 3rd or 4th round pick, now...??

I think a good fit may be one of the Alberta teams...Calgary has tons of cap space and could use a guy like him on a young team. Edmoto0n has cap space but had Hendricks and Gordon in a similar role so that may or may not be of interest...

Arizona has the room but will they spend the money, they already have similar player...

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
If you take a bad contract for say 1.25-1.3 mil, you can sent that player to Hamilton and only 350-400k counts against the cap.

1.85 mil isn't a huge cap hit, but for a 4th liner it's pretty big. Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Maybe I'm missing something regarding the rules. Doesn't a 1.25-1.3 mil contract (or any contract, assuming the player has played enough games) need to be two way in order to be sent down to Hamilton without waivers?

I get what you're saying, we get a player in return that no matter what, will save us a few more pennies. And that does count for something, I agree.

I don't think 1.85 is that big for a player like Moen. For us it represents a lot because he isn't going to be seeing ice time a lot, I'll agree with that. But for other teams, I think Moen's contract is reasonable.

He won't get us a big return. Though I think we can get rid of most of his contract.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think Moen is not the player he used to be, maybe it's the pace of game that's quicker or his concussion. I think 2 years ago, would not have been hard to find a taker for him at that cap hit for a 3rd or 4th round pick, now...??I think a good fit may be one of the Alberta teams...Calgary has tons of cap space and could use a guy like him on a young team. Edmoto0n has cap space but had Hendricks and Gordon in a similar role so that may or may not be of interest...

Arizona has the room but will they spend the money, they already have similar player...

He would have definitely been moved that year at the deadline like everyone else had it not been for his injury. Gauthier couldn't move him, think he had a concussion and missed the remainder of the season. What surprised me was Bergevin coming in and not knowing much of him and gave him and Prust long term deals.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
He would have definitely been moved that year at the deadline like everyone else had it not been for his injury. Gauthier couldn't move him, think he had a concussion and missed the remainder of the season. What surprised me was Bergevin coming in and not knowing much of him and gave him and Prust long term deals.

Bergevin didn't know him? You sure about that?

I think Bergevin gave him that contract as a way to securing the position so he could try to build the other spots. Our depth at the time wasn't what it is now. Either way, Moen's contract hasn't been an anchor on our cap space, up until now because he doesn't fit in.

I don't regret Prust's contract so far.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Prust was a UFA, his deal was as much "buying" him than what he really deserved for his production. He brought a new attitude on and off the ice and contributed to the success the last 2 years.

Moen coming off the concussion, I think MB should have been more cautious, either only go 2 years or push for a cap hit around 1.3-1.4...seemed like an expensive deal at the time...

Maybe I'm missing something regarding the rules. Doesn't a 1.25-1.3 mil contract (or any contract, assuming the player has played enough games) need to be two way in order to be sent down to Hamilton without waivers?

I get what you're saying, we get a player in return that no matter what, will save us a few more pennies. And that does count for something, I agree.

I don't think 1.85 is that big for a player like Moen. For us it represents a lot because he isn't going to be seeing ice time a lot, I'll agree with that. But for other teams, I think Moen's contract is reasonable.

He won't get us a big return. Though I think we can get rid of most of his contract.

One way or two way has nothing to do with waivers. Waivers is related to years of pro service time and NHL games. The one way deal just means you get full salary weather in the NHL or AHL.

1.85mil is big enough if Moen is only like 50-60% of what he was 2-3 years go. The concussions have slowed his physical edge and fighting, I think that will be the sticking point. Plus it's pretty big number for a 4h liner...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Pick would be better, even futures for all I care. The #7 spot can be given to Pateryn or Nygren. Make those guys play

I agree Pateryn looks ready. Nygren needs a chance with a better pairing.
Our situation up front needs to be addressed. (too many bodies)
We really doen't need much back for TM.
I don't think we should eat any of his salary and would add a part for pick, consideration etc.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pick would be better, even futures for all I care. The #7 spot can be given to Pateryn or Nygren. Make those guys play

Would you want Pateryn in the press box for 45-50 games this year?

7th spot is better being a Drewiske or Bouillon than a young guys still developing.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Moen is underappreciated by most people here. Always liked his play and gave 100% effort.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Unfortuantely guys like Moen are a lot easier to move at the deadline. Hard to imagine Bergevin finding a buyer right now. Especially when competent third/fourth liners like Winnik went unsigned pretty late into free agency.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The trade value of Travis Moen shouldn't be a front burner issue for the Habs -- or their fans. It's a far less interesting topic than which of the prospects is/are likely to be on the roster on opening night (and a related concern, will a rookie Dman finally displace Francis Bouillon).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why? McGrattan was a marginal player on a weak team. I don't see a fit. It would be almost as bad as bringing Parros back.

McGrattan is healthy, Parros had concussion issues. Though, I think if MB wanted a player like that he'd have signed Westgarth by now.

The trade value of Travis Moen shouldn't be a front burner issue for the Habs -- or their fans. It's a far less interesting topic than which of the prospects is/are likely to be on the roster on opening night (and a related concern, will a rookie Dman finally displace Francis Bouillon).

I don't see the young d-men competing with Bouillon. I don't think they'll keep the young guys to be a #7 guy in the press box most nights...unless they chose to do some kind of timeshare with the #5-6-7 spots and each plays 65-70% of games, that would include Weaver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad