Rumor: Moen on the Market!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't see anyone taking him. He's completely washed up from what I can see. Who wants to spend 1.8M for 2 years on a completely washed up player that has no purpose ?

Good on PK ? No, too slow now.
Gritty ? Not anymore because of concussions.
Will he fight ? Nope see above.
Will he hit everything that moves ? Nope see above.
Will he put up points ? Nope he's washed up.

He has some leadership and experience.. but that's useless if he can't contribute at all on the ice.

I'd be amazed if MB found a way to unload him.

We would become more amazed than the TV acquisition.
M Houdini B...

habitue*

Sincerly, if we lacked a fourth liner and MB traded for a guy like Moen at 1.85 for two years, i'd be pleased. He's not untradable, he's a servicable 4th liner who plays the game the right way, he's just passed by Prust and Weise.

...and Bournival.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
Cap space is always valuable. If there are no takers than send him to Hamilton and save 900k on the cap. If Moen gets pissy than do the same as we did with BGL and pay him to stay home.

The goal is to win cups and if someone else could help us more than see ya later Travis.

Analyzer*

I'm not going to read through this thread, but has anyone suggested he's worth more than nothing ?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Cap space is always valuable. If there are no takers than send him to Hamilton and save 900k on the cap. If Moen gets pissy than do the same as we did with BGL and pay him to stay home.

The goal is to win cups and if someone else could help us more than see ya later Travis.

I don't see MB burying a veteran like Moen in the minors. The goal is to be able to attract players, a move like that will make it hard to sign UFA's. If we can get a 5th rounder great... otherwise get used to seeing Moen in the press box until the trade deadline.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
I'm sure a team like Toronto or a young, up and coming team would pick him up in a heart beat even at his salary.

He can play in the bottom 6, kill penalties, have the occasional scrap, brings a physical game that only Prust can bring. Like Moen, Prust is always getting hurt. Weise doesn't belong on the 4th line, he belongs on the 3rd line.

Moen is the perfect 4th liner.

He's a go to guy when you're up 1 with less than a minute left in the game, with a faceoff in your zone.

I think we're all undervaluing him.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
The problem is too many 4th liners so no, keeping White wouldn't have made things any better. Should have let White go and should let another 4th liner (Moen) go.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Unfortuantely guys like Moen are a lot easier to move at the deadline. Hard to imagine Bergevin finding a buyer right now. Especially when competent third/fourth liners like Winnik went unsigned pretty late into free agency.

should have been done yearS ago. He has been a quiet passenger for a while now, decent reliable bottom liner but no wheels, no hands, and without the energy to provide anything that comes close to a spark. Good locker room guy supposedly, good on PK, but that can only take you so far. A buddy of mine named him Casper, summed up everything in one word.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
He used to be solid but I don't think he'll have an NHL job much longer. Knowing Bergevin he'll probably pull something off.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
A team like Buffalo could use his talents and leadership in their lineup, along with Gionta & Gorges. They would lead by example with their work ethic, Buffalo has so many good young players and that's the best way to teach them what it takes to earn a long NHL career.:nod:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A team like Buffalo could use his talents and leadership in their lineup, along with Gionta & Gorges. They would lead by example with their work ethic, Buffalo has so many good young players and that's the best way to teach them what it takes to earn a long NHL career.:nod:

Moen seems like a hard sell. It would be like trying to get someone to bite on an 8 lbs laptop with a wonky power supply and dead battery. GM's like consumers want a package that is brand new if possible. A sleek new ultrabook with ten finger touch! The only time you would even consider a refurb is if it is better than a current model you own or your old trusty is out for repair. :laugh:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
People are bashing on Moen because of two things: (1) what Moen used to be, and (2) his ranking in our 3rd and 4th line players.

However, people forget that for years our 3rd and 4th lines were horrible, and some teams out there need good solid bottom 6 players. For some teams, Moen would be an upgrade, and if he is to be moved, I think Bergevin will target those teams, and try to get a decent draft pick or a borderline prospect for him.

However, if we don't get that, I don't think we are desperate, and bottom 12 players get beat up quite a bit, and a spare never hurts.

If we do move him, though, I hope he is part of larger package where we move a mix of players for a serious upgrade in a department we sorrily need.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Moen is still a better hockey player than White, I like having Moen around.
How can you be a good hockey player in that role if you can't skate, hit or fight? Much less, have puck skills...

People think safe, inoffensive play is good for a defensive winger, but just like Armstrong, it's clear that Moen is playing not to get hit and is behind the play.

He's a passenger.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How can you be a good hockey player in that role if you can't skate, hit or fight? Much less, have puck skills...

People think safe, inoffensive play is good for a defensive winger, but just like Armstrong, it's clear that Moen is playing not to get hit and is behind the play.

He's a passenger.

Worse he hasn't paid his fare...:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad