MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Andrade is a good challenge for Shevchenko, especially if Shevchenko comes out a bit flat like she did against Maia.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The only thing I have to say is Jorge took the last fight on like a week's notice. I'd like to see him compete with a full camp.
I don't think it goes any different even with a full camp and I'm not particularly excited by it, BUT I'm fine if that's the direction the UFC goes in. Masvidal did the UFC a solid by saving that PPV and it ended up being the top non-Conor PPV of all time. Masvidal was the single biggest reason for that. Sure they paid him more money for it, but if you want fighters to take risks like that, they should be compensated financially and with opportunities.

I also don't really care if Edwards gets f***ed over given how he's handled things. He should have accepted Wonderboy when it was offered. Then there would be no question who got Usman next and we could get Masvidal-Covington in a #1 contender fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Andrade is the best challenge for Valentina, but I think Valentina wins rather easily. Andrade relies a lot on bullying her opponent, but Valentine is too big, strong, and technical for that to work IMO. Andrade has power, but it's not like it's the touch of death or anything and I don't think she's good enough to repeatedly land power shots on Valentina.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Andrade is the best challenge for Valentina, but I think Valentina wins rather easily. Andrade relies a lot on bullying her opponent, but Valentine is too big, strong, and technical for that to work IMO. Andrade has power, but it's not like it's the touch of death or anything and I don't think she's good enough to repeatedly land power shots on Valentina.

Andrade will most likely clinch and try and get her up against the cage. We saw Valentina struggle a bit with this in her last fight, I hope Valentina waxes her but I have some concerns.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't think it goes any different even with a full camp and I'm not particularly excited by it, BUT I'm fine if that's the direction the UFC goes in. Masvidal did the UFC a solid by saving that PPV and it ended up being the top non-Conor PPV of all time. Masvidal was the single biggest reason for that. Sure they paid him more money for it, but if you want fighters to take risks like that, they should be compensated financially and with opportunities.

I also don't really care if Edwards gets f***ed over given how he's handled things. He should have accepted Wonderboy when it was offered. Then there would be no question who got Usman next and we could get Masvidal-Covington in a #1 contender fight.

I think Usman may strike with Jorge a bit more without the busted nose and his recent success. He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder regarding the boring performance last time out against Masvidal.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The only thing I have to say is Jorge took the last fight on like a week's notice. I'd like to see him compete with a full camp.

He was paid handsomely and got to fight for the title, Usman was also in a bad state iirc. Easy call imo. Masival seems to only want easy money/title fights, not top contenders who could end his "15 minutes". My main point being, Masvidal has a decisive loss to Wonderboy he has yet to avenge and currently holds a 1-3 record against the division's top 10. I'm not forgetting about the Till fight (which he was also getting tagged in btw), but that guy has done absolutely nothing in years, and his only wins in a long time were Gastelum (nobody deserved to win that fight) and Wonderboy (hometown robbery, plus Wonderboy blew out his knee during the fight).

I get the UFC making the rematch and by no means is Masvidal bad, but he has no business being in the title picture. It wouldn't bother me as much, if not for the fact that if you asked the Masvidal of old days if he'd ever be caught dead asking for youtube subscribers or whoring himself out for Trump, he'd have said hell no. Oh well, not to beat a dead horse I've rambled on enough about it already. I do get it, it's a big fight. Just hate seeing sellouts being rewarded over true contenders.

-I will say that if Usman falls in love with his standup, that could be trouble. But otherwise that's another 5 round L for Jorge.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Andrade will most likely clinch and try and get her up against the cage. We saw Valentina struggle a bit with this in her last fight, I hope Valentina waxes her but I have some concerns.
She "struggled" to a clear 49-46 decision win.

It's not on the same level, but this reminds me of when Khabib "struggled" with Ragin' Al. Rogan freaked about how amateurish his striking looked and people thought there was finally a chink in the armor that elite strikers would be able to exploit....then Khabib f***ed up probably the 3 best strikers in the division in his next 3 fights.

I'll believe it when I see it with Valentina.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

It's not on the same level, but this reminds me of when Khabib "struggled" with Ragin' Al. Rogan freaked about how amateurish his striking looked and people thought there was finally a chink in the armor that elite strikers would be able to exploit....then Khabib f***ed up probably the 3 best strikers in the division in his next 3 fights.

I think the expectations of her at this point outweigh the reality of what can happen in the cage. She was also like a -1500 favorite in that fight so when she was on her back taking a bit of damage for a minute, it seemed like a struggle. That was also when I bet Valentina on the live line, lol.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah, I remember that clearly, and Rogan was going on about how someone texted him saying "Tony."

Reactions: 16Skippy

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

I don't think Rogan was completely wrong tho. None of McGregor, Poirier or Gaethje are great strikers. If Stylebender was a lightweight he'd give Khabib a lot of trouble. Wouldn't surprise me if Khabib won using his ground game tho.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
UFC259 week and we've still got all the big fights intact. Hopefully they can make it through the week. As long as the main card & Cruz/Kenney holds up I'm willing to take a couple of hits lower on the card as a sacrifice.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
UFC259 week and we've still got all the big fights intact. Hopefully they can make it through the week. As long as the main card & Cruz/Kenney holds up I'm willing to take a couple of hits lower on the card as a sacrifice.
I'd sacrifice the rest of the card to keep those fights together.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He recently posted photos of blood he coughed up, covid has done a number on him. I hope his lungs aren’t permanently damaged because if he retires he immediately becomes the biggest “what if?” in MMA history and one of the bigger “what if’s” in modern sports history

I think Dana is still flying him over to the states to get more treatment- he thinks Khamzat is being emotional right now. Not so sure about that one Uncle D...

Reactions: chicagoskycam

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
For the minority who COVID seems to affect long-term one of the biggest effects is mental. It's such a foreign experience you can't help but have your mind drift to thoughts about your mortality.

I saw Kevin Holland make some (ignorant) comments about it. I can't fault him too much because if I'd never experienced it I'd probably think the exact same thing - it's essentially a bad flu, suck it up and move on. I can assure you, a bad flu it is not.

Whether this truly is career-ending is tough to say, but when you're used to your body fighting something like this off in 2-3 days, and several months go by and not only can you not kick it, but aspects actually get worse, it's really a scary/depressing thing.

I sure hope he has a full recovery but barring medical breakthrough on this front my guess is he isn't being as emotional/dramatic as perhaps Dana hopes, and I have a feeling he may never be the same again. I hope I'm wrong.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's scary that COVID can effect even a high level athlete that much. So many people think since they are young-ish and healthy-ish that they would be able to beat it. Yeah, maybe.

Reactions: CDJ

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Scary stuff. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can maybe return at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad