I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Reactions: CDJ

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Israel Adesanya, Chris Weidman get into volatile war of words over potential matchup

Keep in mind Weidman is 1-5 in his last 6 fights and has a compromised chin. Idk what kind of delusion this man has

He’s saying how Izzy is Silva without the black belt.....even if that is true you’re not 28 year old Chris Weidman anymore, Chris

The only fights left for Izzy in that division are whoever comes out of Canonier vs. Whittaker. I'm completely on board with Whittaker getting an immediate rematch with Izzy if he beats Canonier despite how their first fight went but after that I don't think there's much left for Izzy at middleweight.

Also Dustin replied to someone on Twitter that not only has he accepted the McGregor fight but he'd be willing to do it at either lightweight or welterweight. Dana also confirmed they're just waiting on Conor now. Supposedly they're trying to get that done for January.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Chris has always come across as one of the dumbest fighters in the UFC. In and out of the ring.

Maybe dumb like a fox in this case. He's planting the seeds with Adesanya and if he wins one more fight that next title shot is his. A little twitter beef with the champ probably doesn't hurt

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The hell does Usman need more time for? Did he have a procedure?

Maybe dumb like a fox in this case. He's planting the seeds with Adesanya and if he wins one more fight that next title shot is his. A little twitter beef with the champ probably doesn't hurt

I think Weidman is a LOT further away than 1 win, twitter beef or not. He just barely got by Akhmedov because he was slightly less gassed than Omari (they were both sucking wind in round 3). He’s gonna need to beat somebody like Costa or Whittaker and it’s just not gonna happen

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The hell does Usman need more time for? Did he have a procedure?

I think Weidman is a LOT further away than 1 win, twitter beef or not. He just barely got by Akhmedov because he was slightly less gassed than Omari (they were both sucking wind in round 3). He’s gonna need to beat somebody like Costa or Whittaker and it’s just not gonna happen

He's definitely going to need to beat someone good, which he probably won't. I do think if he won he'd be in line for a shot, though

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He's definitely going to need to beat someone good, which he probably won't. I do think if he won he'd be in line for a shot, though

the division is pretty cleared out I guess. I think he’d need to jump Hermansson and Cannonier at this point which will be tough for him, but I guess there is a path there

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Weidman is kind of like Holm in the sense that they are probably always closer to a title shot than their records might suggest because they are former champions, who they beat to become champions, and so far, they don't have any really 'bad' losses. By that, I mean they keep fighting the best fighters in their division and they might lose, but there's at least an excuse. Whether they were winning the fight until they got finished or they were fighting up a weight class or whatever.

I think he needs at least 1 more significant win until he's in the conversation, but you never know with late replacements and stuff like that, too. He could step in against Whittaker/Cannonier. I wouldn't bet on him winning, but's not out of the question and if he won that? Plus the name value, plus the beef he's got going with Izzy...you'd almost have to give him a shot.

Either way, it's never a bad idea to have your name in the headlines and if the champ is willing to engage, even better.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Weidman is kind of like Holm in the sense that they are probably always closer to a title shot than their records might suggest because they are former champions, who they beat to become champions, and so far, they don't have any really 'bad' losses. By that, I mean they keep fighting the best fighters in their division and they might lose, but there's at least an excuse. Whether they were winning the fight until they got finished or they were fighting up a weight class or whatever.

I think he needs at least 1 more significant win until he's in the conversation, but you never know with late replacements and stuff like that, too. He could step in against Whittaker/Cannonier. I wouldn't bet on him winning, but's not out of the question and if he won that? Plus the name value, plus the beef he's got going with Izzy...you'd almost have to give him a shot.

Either way, it's never a bad idea to have your name in the headlines and if the champ is willing to engage, even better.

I honestly think his odds against Cannonier are 0%. Dudes got good takedown defense and will probably KO him in round 1. I think Whittaker is way too explosive for him too

he looked sloppy against Akhmedov, even in victory. That’s not exactly premium competition

member 51464

Am I misremembering, or was the Akhmedov fight his first with a new camp? If so, I'd be up to reassess what's up with his potential after another fight or too.

Whittaker is still sloppy as hell in his striking, so I'd guess Weidman would have the best chance of beating him out of the other top name fighters. But....idk, I don't want to see the man get bludgeoned anymore. That Rockhold beatdown changed his career and life forever.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Am I misremembering, or was the Akhmedov fight his first with a new camp? If so, I'd be up to reassess what's up with his potential after another fight or too.

Whittaker is still sloppy as hell in his striking, so I'd guess Weidman would have the best chance of beating him out of the other top name fighters. But....idk, I don't want to see the man get bludgeoned anymore. That Rockhold beatdown changed his career and life forever.

The Jacare one was the exclamation point for me. He suffered brutal beatings

He trained with Wonderboy (his sister is married to wonderboys brother I think) because wonderboys gym was not shut down. It wasn’t a good performance though. It was a win but he didn’t do a whole lot

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm just gonna put it out there again...

I think the Cannonier vs Whittaker fight should be scrapped...

Cannonier should fight Adesanya

Whittaker should take on Costa with the winner getting the next title shot

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I honestly think his odds against Cannonier are 0%. Dudes got good takedown defense and will probably KO him in round 1. I think Whittaker is way too explosive for him too

he looked sloppy against Akhmedov, even in victory. That’s not exactly premium competition
I don't want to get suckered into arguing Weidman could beat Cannonier (or Whittaker for that matter) because I don't think he would :laugh:

I'm just saying he's the type of guy the UFC likes and puts in prominent positions. So he's probably closer to a title shot than he should be. Look at where his placement has been since losing the belt to Rockhold:

UFC 205 vs. Romero - The 4th fight after 3 title fights
UFC 210 vs. Mousasi - Co-main
UFC on Fox vs. Gastelum - Main event
UFC 230 vs. Jacare - Co-main
UFC on ESPN vs. Reyes - Main event
Fight Night vs. Akhmedov - Co-main

And as I said, there are justifications for the losses he does have that make it not that bad.

He was beating Romero until he got KOed. I don't remember the Mousasi fight, but Mousasi is arguably the best MW on the planet. Definitely one of the more overlooked. Beat Gastelum. Was beating Jacare until the KO. Reyes was up a weight class. Beat Akhmedov (despite not being overly impressive).

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't want to get suckered into arguing Weidman could beat Cannonier (or Whittaker for that matter) because I don't think he would :laugh:

I'm just saying he's the type of guy the UFC likes and puts in prominent positions. So he's probably closer to a title shot than he should be. Look at where his placement has been since losing the belt to Rockhold:

UFC 205 vs. Romero - The 4th fight after 3 title fights
UFC 210 vs. Mousasi - Co-main
UFC on Fox vs. Gastelum - Main event
UFC 230 vs. Jacare - Co-main
UFC on ESPN vs. Reyes - Main event
Fight Night vs. Akhmedov - Co-main

And as I said, there are justifications for the losses he does have that make it not that bad.

He was beating Romero until he got KOed. I don't remember the Mousasi fight, but Mousasi is arguably the best MW on the planet. Definitely one of the more overlooked. Beat Gastelum. Was beating Jacare until the KO. Reyes was up a weight class. Beat Akhmedov (despite not being overly impressive).

If I remember the Mousasi fight correctly it was back and forth until Mousasi started to take over, then Mousasi landed a giant knee which the referee thought was illegal. Replay showed it was legal and the fight was stopped as a KO for Gegard. I believe im remembering this correctly and it’s only because I had $50 on Weidman

I think he’s still probably the best on the ground in that division but the problem is it’s not going to matter too much because his chin is compromised at this point. That’s what it looked like in the Reyes fight at least.

People forget about that Jacare fight and what a war it was. I wonder what’s going on with Jacare right now, haven’t heard anything about him in awhile

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If I remember the Mousasi fight correctly it was back and forth until Mousasi started to take over, then Mousasi landed a giant knee which the referee thought was illegal. Replay showed it was legal and the fight was stopped as a KO for Gegard. I believe im remembering this correctly and it’s only because I had $50 on Weidman

I think he’s still probably the best on the ground in that division but the problem is it’s not going to matter too much because his chin is compromised at this point. That’s what it looked like in the Reyes fight at least.

People forget about that Jacare fight and what a war it was. I wonder what’s going on with Jacare right now, haven’t heard anything about him in awhile
OK, yeah. I remember the Mousasi fight now. Or at least the ending.

Weidman has been KO cold a few times now and is 36. I think his days of surviving any wars are long gone, especially against a guy as big and strong as Cannonier. But Cannonier's TDD is nothing to write home about. There's a path to victory there for Weidman. That's all I'm saying. Not that that fight is going to happen anyway.

Last I heard of Jacare was that he resumed training after he got over the COVID.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think Weidman's path goes through Cannonier, it goes through the Hermansson/Till winner.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think Weidman's path goes through Cannonier, it goes through the Hermansson/Till winner.
I was just using it as an example of how he could be one win away from a title shot. Whittaker and Cannonier have both pulled out of their fair share of fights. Weidman would be a big name to fill in on late notice and if he somehow won, he'd probably get the title shot.

Certainly not 'likely', but 'possible'.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
OK, I'm officially not a Leon Edwards fan.

Dude, nobody knows who you are. The most famous you've been is from getting punked by Masvidal backstage. You've beaten what? 2 guys that were ranked at the time you beat them (RDA, Cowboy, who are both natural LW's by the way). You haven't fought in over a year. You're always talking about how nobody wants to fight you and now Wonderboy calls you out and you pass? You're too good for him because he got knocked out 2 fights ago?

I pray he doesn't get Burns in December and Burns just waits for Usman in January.

member 51464

Wow. f*** you, leon. Wonderboy is the last person who deserves trash being talked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad