MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like the tournament structure because it cuts out all the who-deserves-what BS and guys angling for the title shot or fights they think they can win or get paid more for like we are seeing in the UFC LW division now. It's simple. You signed up for the tournament. You fight the guy in your bracket. If not, you're out.

I agree, though. The format is important and Bellator has kind of dragged previous ones out too long. Getting 4 fights done in 2 weeks is great. Put the semi-finals on the same card in about 2-3 months. Have the final 2-3 months after that. Champ should be crowned by the end of the year despite getting a late start.

For sure, I love that structure.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Munhoz-Rivera is off the already weak PPV due to covid. It’s been replaced by Ewell-Gutierrez. Don’t get me wrong that’s actually going to be a sneaky high end fight, but yeeeeeesh

This one may be a streamer. Heinisch-Gastelum is the only other one I have any interest in. Barber-Grasso could be interesting I guess

you take out the title fight and the prelims may be better- Simon/Kelleher, Green/Miller, Rodolfo Vieira, Belal Muhammad

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

member 51464

Usman/Burns also shouldn't be a PPV main event. Awful card overall for a PPV.
I was excited for this fight a few months ago, thinking Burns was gonna make it happen. But idk. I worry Usman's reign of boring dominance continues.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah I immediately thought that Mousasi would want no part of fighting big guys like Romero & Bader at this stage. Good move.

I don't really care too much about the tournament structure as these are all fights I would be interested in anyway with Romero/Rumble being the biggest one. I'm not sure I like that they matched them up that early, I want both guys to have some success in Bellator and this is a tough spot for the loser. That said, after watching some old UFCs I think I can get behind a tournament a little more and I like that they have two tournament fights per card here in back-to-back weeks so it feels like more of it's own thing. Pretty excited for it to play out with this format.

I really like Bader over Machida and potentially Anderson on the one side but I don't know anything about the other guy. I'm not sure what to expect from Rumble - tough first fight vs Romero.

Rumble vs Romero is the fight that most people want to see...

Having them match up in the 1st round is the only way to guarantee that fight happens

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was excited for this fight a few months ago, thinking Burns was gonna make it happen. But idk. I worry Usman's reign of boring dominance continues.

It's a relevant fight between (IMO) the best active p4p guy in MMA right now and a top contender, but it shouldn't be a main event. It's still a good fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Rumble vs Romero is the fight that most people want to see...

Having them match up in the 1st round is the only way to guarantee that fight happens

It's very short-term thinking, though. But whatever, I don't really care. Looking forward to it.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Same. I was really impressed with how easily Burns dominated the ghost of Woodley, but I'm not sure what contender couldn't at this point. Maia was able to control Burns against the fence, take him down, and keep him down. Now granted Burns got back up which few do in that situation, but if Maia did it with relative ease I can only imagine how easily Usman will do it.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's very short-term thinking, though. But whatever, I don't really care. Looking forward to it.

Romero will be 44 years old at the end of April... it doesn't make much sense to be thinking long-term with a fighter his age

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Smith replaces Walker in April 24 bout vs. Crute

Johnny Walker out of the Crute fight, Lionheart in. Seems like Anthony is in the “salty old dog trying to ruin fighters on the come up” phase of his career. Walker tore his pec, best wishes to him. Can’t say he’s not action-packed

also looks like they swapped Miller-Green onto the main card for Saturday- that at least makes me feel less dirty if I do decide to buy it

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Smith replaces Walker in April 24 bout vs. Crute

Johnny Walker out of the Crute fight, Lionheart in. Seems like Anthony is in the “salty old dog trying to ruin fighters on the come up” phase of his career. Walker tore his pec, best wishes to him. Can’t say he’s not action-packed

also looks like they swapped Miller-Green onto the main card for Saturday- that at least makes me feel less dirty if I do decide to buy it
Smith is like the David Bowie of MMA with his different phases. He had his failed MW phase. Then his taking out over-the-hill-legend phase. Then his failed title contender phase. Now it's his up and comers phase.

Green-Miller on the main card was a no brainer considering the other options.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
One consequence of Bellator on Showtime that I didn't think about until yesterday, MK is going to have to pretend to care about Bellator now like they do about Showtime boxing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the LHW tournament and if those guys stick around for a while, they could have some good fights for the next year or so. But other than LHW, there's only maybe 5-10 fighters that I could even pretend to care about.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
One consequence of Bellator on Showtime that I didn't think about until yesterday, MK is going to have to pretend to care about Bellator now like they do about Showtime boxing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the LHW tournament and if those guys stick around for a while, they could have some good fights for the next year or so. But other than LHW, there's only maybe 5-10 fighters that I could even pretend to care about.

I noticed they had been doing more bellator stuff since bellator had moved under the showtime/CBS umbrella. I don’t mind it but I don’t need Georgi karakhanyan breakdowns

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Chimaev/Edwards is off again. COVID issues still lingering. Will not be rebooked.

Initial thought is that's unfortunate, but it is a little scary that a peak athlete could still be suffering effects months after COVID. Hopefully it's a time issue versus permanent damage.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
^ Not that I care about seeing Perry fight anymore, but if he's gonna do it...that's pretty close to a perfect matchup. Wild fight.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad