MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Where is everyone at with MMA radio/youtube/podcasts they are listening to these days?

Around a year ago I stopped my Sirius subscription. I did enjoy the Luke Thomas show on there & MMA Tonight or whatever the other show was called. Anthony Smith, Jimmy Smith, Sean O'Connell, and RJ Clifford were great. Not sure if any of that is still going on.

For the last year I've been listening to the MMAFighting feed. Mike Heck does a good job and their "on to the next one" comes out almost every Sunday which basically gives their ideal future opponents for the guys who fought the night before. Honestly the rest of the shows/hosts aren't really my thing but I will keep listening to that show.

Gave "Morning Kombat" a try this week with Luke Thomas & Brian Campbell. I am quite enjoying it so far, though it tends to be a bit too much boxing talk for my liking. I really prefer this show to the Sirius show - Luke is much more focused with Brian Campbell while on his own show he just end up filling time way too often. I'll definitely be making this part of my regular routine.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just looking ahead a bit - this July 31st card is going to be right up there in terms of worst cards all-time. You've got Uriah Hall v Sean Strickland as a fun fight but a very underwhelming main event.

Then you've got.. well, this:

UFC on ESPN: Hall vs. Strickland - Wikipedia

Ugly stuff.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Where is everyone at with MMA radio/youtube/podcasts they are listening to these days?

Around a year ago I stopped my Sirius subscription. I did enjoy the Luke Thomas show on there & MMA Tonight or whatever the other show was called. Anthony Smith, Jimmy Smith, Sean O'Connell, and RJ Clifford were great. Not sure if any of that is still going on.

For the last year I've been listening to the MMAFighting feed. Mike Heck does a good job and their "on to the next one" comes out almost every Sunday which basically gives their ideal future opponents for the guys who fought the night before. Honestly the rest of the shows/hosts aren't really my thing but I will keep listening to that show.

Gave "Morning Kombat" a try this week with Luke Thomas & Brian Campbell. I am quite enjoying it so far, though it tends to be a bit too much boxing talk for my liking. I really prefer this show to the Sirius show - Luke is much more focused with Brian Campbell while on his own show he just end up filling time way too often. I'll definitely be making this part of my regular routine.
For the bigger fights or news stories, I'll check in with Big John and Thompson and I like Hardy's breakdowns. I'll sometimes check in on MMA World which is just a news roundup type thing.

Other than that, it's pretty much just MK. With 3 shows a week and Luke does a live chat on Thursday, it's plenty of MMA talk for me. They are backed by Showtime, so they are kind of forced into talking about boxing a lot. Brian comes from the boxing media as well. It's kind of a reoccurring joke they have about moving on from the boxing topics before they lose their audience. Also with Showtime and Bellator partnering, they talk abut Bellator more than I care for, too. They sometimes put chapters or whatever they are called on the videos, so it's pretty easy to skip the stuff I don't care about. But overall, it's still the best mix of serious MMA talk and fun.

I've never listened to an MMA radio show, but I can't listen to ANY radio anymore. So much of it is just filling time. I also don't really care for fighter/athlete interviews which I think they resort to to fill time. Podcasts are just the better medium and will kill off radio shows sooner or later.

Reactions: 16Skippy and m9

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

MK is the best one right now IMO. MMAFighting is good because they just put out a ton of podcasts and I've started to like the banter between their crew. Other than those obviously I'm a big fan of Chael's pod and Believe You Me with Michael Bisping is good if you like Bisping. The only other one I'm listening to right now is Anik and Florian.

BT Sport has also built a great MMA team and puts out tons of really good stuff on their YouTube. If you have a VPN set your location to the UK to make sure you have access to all their vids. It looks like they finally gave Hardy a budget before the last PPV so his breakdown video was amazing. I anticipate his stuff (which was already the best around) is going to get even better now.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
MK and Weighing In are the two I watch. I think Big John is great. Thomson has CTE but he’s funny

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
MK and Weighing In are the two I watch. I think Big John is great. Thomson has CTE but he’s funny
I like Weighing In fine enough, but I think Luke's seriousness and Brian's silliness plays off one another better than Big John and Thompson both trying to be both serious and fun. Not that Luke is never fun and Brian is never serious, but you know what I mean. Big John and Thompson are too similar...just one has been punched in the head a lot.

But it's definitely my second go-to when I'm really excited for a card pre and post. And I will seek out Big John's opinion on any ref controversy. For normal Fight Night weeks or weak PPV's, I usually get my fill with MK.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I like Weighing In fine enough, but I think Luke's seriousness and Brian's silliness plays off one another better than Big John and Thompson both trying to be both serious and fun. Not that Luke is never fun and Brian is never serious, but you know what I mean. Big John and Thompson are too similar...just one has been punched in the head a lot.

But it's definitely my second go-to when I'm really excited for a card pre and post. And I will seek out Big John's opinion on any ref controversy. For normal Fight Night weeks or weak PPV's, I usually get my fill with MK.

agreed, I for sure prefer MK to them. It’s a great dynamic. I do like that Big John breaks down pretty much every fight that happens in every promotion though

Reactions: pistolpete11

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Lol. Big John has the best analysis anywhere and Thompson is like the frat boy throwing shit out there. He's often wrong IMO but providing good insight of what fighters are dealing with. I also go here especially when there is any controversy with reffing or judging.

Rogan when he does JRE MMA shows typically has some good stuff and insider info, he just doesn't do recaps on events anymore.

Thompson always sounds like he's dealing with a massive hangover. lol

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
agreed, I for sure prefer MK to them. It’s a great dynamic. I do like that Big John breaks down pretty much every fight that happens in every promotion though
Big John's knowledge of MMA history and what's going on currently in MMA is second to none...I just don't care about other promotions other than a couple of fights here and there in Bellator.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Lol. Big John has the best analysis anywhere and Thompson is like the frat boy throwing shit out there. He's often wrong IMO but providing good insight of what fighters are dealing with. I also go here especially when there is any controversy with reffing or judging.

Rogan when he does JRE MMA shows typically has some good stuff and insider info, he just doesn't do recaps on events anymore.

Thompson always sounds like he's dealing with a massive hangover. lol
Yeah, that's a good point. I've heard him provide some behind the scenes type stuff when it comes to contracts and how the UFC operates.

I think part of Thompson's hangover is the time zone, at least for the post fight episodes. For a while, they were recording those really early on Sunday's which is even earlier for him being in California. They were trying to make sure it was available on Youtube when everybody wakes up. Trying to beat that algorithm, ya know?

I think for this last one they recorded right after the fights. Thompson had more energy and made a comment about Big John drinking a Monster at like 4am. That's the first one I've watched in a while, though.

Rogan's MMA talk is alright. I don't think he's quite as tapped in as he used to be and he is almost never critical of the UFC, fighters, refs, matchmakers, etc.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That's interesting that Big John's outside media stuff is good as I find him quite bad as a broadcaster on Bellator. I've never wanted to search out more of his stuff just based on that.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
That's interesting that Big John's outside media stuff is good as I find him quite bad as a broadcaster on Bellator. I've never wanted to search out more of his stuff just based on that.

His analysis is good he's just bit too dry and monotone to do a live broadcast. He can improve over time but I'd like to see him do a few events a year in the UFC and they could use him pre/post fight for analysis. John would be a great guy to bring in for questions on rules and judging kind of like the NFL does with Gene.

The only issue with their podcast is they can come off a bit slanted towards the UFC at times as they obviously work for another promotion but you'll actually get some honest feedback. I also skip the Bellator talk.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Diaz just challenged Dustin at 185??? Neither of them has ever had a fight at middleweight. LOl what a goofball.... it can't happen now but why not at least 170.

Nate Diaz challenges Dustin Poirier to a fight at 185 pounds: 'Pull-up'
Classic call out that you know has 0% of happening, but keeps your name in the news and you can say he's ducking you. And I say that as a Nate fan.

Wouldn't surprise me if we get that fight eventually, but Poirier needs to fight for the belt next.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

The only two I listen to consistently are Jack Slack and MK. Slack's article and breakdowns were my favorite but I believe he's only doing them for his Patreon followers now. Still, the podcast is good.

MK is good, I love what Luke and BC are doing for the most part but like you said there can be too much boxing and other filler. I end up skimming through a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->