OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Any other Met fans who don’t want Bauer? I feel he is not worth the money given his career numbers and attitude. Plus we lose draft picks if we sign him and we really need more young talent infused into the system after all the prospects we have traded in the past 2 years
honestly this team is built to win now

sign bauer hes a stud, apparently there will be op outs after year 1 and 2

stevie can afford it so get him and go for it

Reactions: Ghost of jas

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
honestly this team is built to win now

sign bauer hes a stud, apparently there will be op outs after year 1 and 2

stevie can afford it so get him and go for

it
I disagree he is a stud. Forget last year when you look at his other years are you honestly that impressed? Last year was great for him BUT they played 100 less games than usual and it was his walk year. Plus they have given him long enough to choose. Personally I feel he is using Cohen to drive up the price in LA. I’d be fine with Odorizzi and getting Syndergaard back mid season

Reactions: zephyr and Maximus

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I disagree he is a stud. Forget last year when you look at his other years are you honestly that impressed? Last year was great for him BUT they played 100 less games than usual and it was his walk year. Plus they have given him long enough to choose. Personally I feel he is using Cohen to drive up the price in LA. I’d be fine with Odorizzi and getting Syndergaard back mid season
you make it seem like we are the only team offering him those terms, obviously other teams feel the same way that i do, but ok
:thumbu:

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
you make it seem like we are the only team offering him those terms, obviously other teams feel the same way that i do, but ok
:thumbu:
Relax dude. We’re both Mets fans here . I simply giving my opinion. If we sign him I won’t bitch and moan. I just don’t think he is worth it personally. Like I said when you look at his career numbers they aren’t that impressive. Yes I give him credit for a great year last Year BUT there are 3 things that should be taken into account. First they played 100 less games so who knows if he would have kept that pace especially since he never had a year close to that before , secondly it was a weak decision, thirdly it was his walk year which players have a history of playing well in in order to get paid. Personally I’d rather sign odorizzi and have money to get a CF but that’s just me

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Since 2017 Bauer has a 3.46 ERA (22nd) and 14.4 WAR (9th). Why wouldn't you want him? He also put up those numbers in Cleveland which is one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league. His numbers pre 2017 are irrelevant since that is when he changed his game and started striking out way way more batters. He also showed a big increase in control this year and while it is only 73 innings things like strikeout rate, and walk rate, are some of the fastest things to stabilize for pitchers. He's been a top 15-20 pitcher and he's been getting better.

We're talking about the pitcher who had the 3rd best k% and 13th best bb% last year. Those aren't numbers you can really fluke. The ERA will come up from the 1.73 level of course but he's easily one of the top pitchers in the league and an ace on most teams.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Since 2017 Bauer has a 3.46 ERA (22nd) and 14.4 WAR (9th). Why wouldn't you want him? He also put up those numbers in Cleveland which is one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league. His numbers pre 2017 are irrelevant since that is when he changed his game and started striking out way way more batters. He also showed a big increase in control this year and while it is only 73 innings things like strikeout rate, and walk rate, are some of the fastest things to stabilize for pitchers. He's been a top 15-20 pitcher and he's been getting better

. Again I think you misunderstood me. I’m not saying I would be pissed if we signed him. I just personally would go another way of specially with the contract he wants. I’d like to think I’m pretty knowledgeable if baseball and pitched into college but we all have different opinions which is fine and valid

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Relax dude. We’re both Mets fans here . I simply giving my opinion. If we sign him I won’t bitch and moan. I just don’t think he is worth it personally. Like I said when you look at his career numbers they aren’t that impressive. Yes I give him credit for a great year last Year BUT there are 3 things that should be taken into account. First they played 100 less games so who knows if he would have kept that pace especially since he never had a year close to that before , secondly it was a weak decision, thirdly it was his walk year which players have a history of playing well in in order to get paid. Personally I’d rather sign odorizzi and have money to get a CF but that’s just me
sorry if it came across aggressive, wasnt meant that way....totally fine with your opinion

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
sorry if it came across aggressive, wasnt meant that way....totally fine with your opinion
No problem. I’m not trying to say he hasn’t got talent. I just don’t feel looking at his whole career that he is worth that plus I’m not that comfortable with his personality in NY. I also think the Mets want an answer by now because there are still other things they want to explore. If he signs great but I don’t think it’s a huge loss if they don’t. Sign Oridizzi and they have Syndergaard coming back. That’s a very good rotation with depth

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So are we getting the Bauer decision this afternoon?

Still worried about his personality in NY.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
No problem. I’m not trying to say he hasn’t got talent. I just don’t feel looking at his whole career that he is worth that plus I’m not that comfortable with his personality in NY. I also think the Mets want an answer by now because there are still other things they want to explore. If he signs great but I don’t think it’s a huge loss if they don’t. Sign Oridizzi and they have Syndergaard coming back. That’s a very good rotation with depth
honestly if the proposed deal is three years with opt outs after years 1 and 2 i think that is a win win scenario

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
honestly if the proposed deal is three years with opt outs after years 1 and 2 i think that is a win win scenario
That’s not bad. I assume we get a compensation pick if he opts out right? I believe that was the case with Cespedes when they did the same thing in 2015-16

Reactions: Rangers in 7

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
So are we getting the Bauer decision this afternoon?

Still worried about his personality in NY.
I certainly agree with your last sentence. I’m pretty sure the Mets are tired of playing around and want an answer so they could move on . I still believe Bauer is using us to get the Dodgers to you their offer

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Yeah but personally I still would rather just go for ordorizzi and see if we can get a CF and maybe one more bullpen piece.
going after a CF means nimmo is getting traded, too many corner outfielders

the move for ordorizzi then requires multiple other moves

i think the mets need to decide if they want bauer with nimmo in CF with his bat or if they want nimmo gone with a JB Jr in CF instead

the biggest problem i see is the MLB dragging their feet with the DH decision, the mets are maybe the most impacted by this in all of the NL with dom and pete

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I certainly agree with your last sentence. I’m pretty sure the Mets are tired of playing around and want an answer so they could move on . I still believe Bauer is using us to get the Dodgers to you their offer

i've said that for weeks. He has an offer. Pull it off the table if it hasn't been accepted. Move on. His personality it risky IMO. There will be other pitchers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah there's a very good chance of that, I think. Just using us as leverage. Probably had his people leak that a deal with the Mets was really close last night, trying to force LAD to increase their offer. I do hope the Mets stand firm on a deadline (even if the deadline itself is somewhat flexible) as I don't want to get used by Bauer and miss out on an alternative.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah there's a very good chance of that, I think. Just using us as leverage. Probably had his people leak that a deal with the Mets was really close last night, trying to force LAD to increase their offer. I do hope the Mets stand firm on a deadline (even if the deadline itself is somewhat flexible) as I don't want to get used by Bauer and miss out on an alternative

Agreed. Like I mentioned when you look at his whole career it’s not that impressive to risk losing out in other alternatives or to give him 40 million a year lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
going after a CF means nimmo is getting traded, too many corner outfielders

the move for ordorizzi then requires multiple other moves

i think the mets need to decide if they want bauer with nimmo in CF with his bat or if they want nimmo gone with a JB Jr in CF instead

the biggest problem i see is the MLB dragging their feet with the DH decision, the mets are maybe the most impacted by this in all of the NL with dom and pete

the DH decision must have been made. Right? How can spring training be so close and they haven't decided yet? Meanwhile, nobody has reported the decision has been made so i can't believe everybody is protecting a secret. Really?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
the DH decision must have been made. Right? How can spring training be so close and they haven't decided yet? Meanwhile, nobody has reported the decision has been made so i can't believe everybody is protecting a secret. Really?
its something that hugely effects the mets, without a doubt in my mind

its crazy that we still dont have an answer on this, in my opinion its the difference between having to trade nimmo or keep him. i guess the same can be said for jd as well but his value would be lower

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Agreed. Like I mentioned when you look at his whole career it’s not that impressive to risk losing out in other alternatives or to give him 40 million a year lol

Why do you care about his whole career? The stuff before a few years ago is meaningless.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Why do you care about his whole career? The stuff before a few years ago is meaningless

. Why do I care? I look for longer Track record instead one one year in a shortened season in his walk year. I’m not the only fan who feels this way. It’s ok not to be totally in love with signing Bauer. Anyway let’s just agree to disagree and end this conversation. Take Care

Reactions: zephyr

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So even though there hasn't been an official announcement, the Bauer website is pretty much rolling out Met gear right now. This is hilarious.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
. Why do I care? I look for longer Track record instead one one year in a shortened season in his walk year. I’m not the only fan who feels this way. It’s ok not to be totally in love with signing Bauer. Anyway let’s just agree to disagree and end this conversation. Take Care

I previously mentioned his results since 2017 where he is top 15-20 in the league. His stats before then are absolutely entirely irrelevant he was a completely different pitcher and it is simply wrong to feel that way. From 2012-2016 he was not very good. That's over five years ago. Has nothing to do with how he is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad