OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
100 years from now, people who don't really know anything about this time should see Bonds, Clemens, and Schilling in the Hall of Fame. In fact, all of the steroid users should be in the Hall of Fame, and Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose. Put them in their own section if you have to.

These three players especially (including Schilling, who is being left out for other reasons) helped define the 90s-2000s era of baseball. You can't just leave them out. And Schilling broke the Yankees' hearts more than any other player of that era, so I am not biased in his favor at all.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't understand this response. I responded to your post asking why bauer is taking so long to accept the mets offer and you replied with a tangent about why you dont want him...

You’re right, i did. i perceive the delay as another red flag. I’m wary of this guy in Ny. The offer has been out there for two weeks.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
i perceive the delay as another red flag. The offer has been out there for two weeks.
Again I ask why is it a red flag? If he can get more money why should he rush? Spring training isn't starting tomorrow and there is speculation the Dodgers are still in it. Why would he rush and sign when he could potentially have a bidding war. A month ago JT wasn't getting offers over 100mil, he waited and signs for over 115mil. Some players are waiting to let owners see what the economics are doing as they start to look better. 2 months ago Hand could be had for free on waivers for 10mil and no one wants him, he waits and signs for 10.5mil. There is no rush to sign if you are an above average to elite player.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Again I ask why is it a red flag? If he can get more money why should he rush? Spring training isn't starting tomorrow and there is speculation the Dodgers are still in it. Why would he rush and sign when he could potentially have a bidding war. A month ago JT wasn't getting offers over 100mil, he waited and signs for over 115mil. Some players are waiting to let owners see what the economics are doing as they start to look better. 2 months ago Hand could be had for free on waivers for 10mil and no one wants him, he waits and signs for 10.5mil. There is no rush to sign if you are an above average to elite player.

I posted twice now about my concerns. I’m not separating his personality issues from this delay. Want to come to NY and have a big deal on the table, take it. That goes for any market with this guy. His full resume, not just his arm, is part of the business. And we’ve seen the fans be correct more often than the people who do this for a living many want to admit.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I posted twice now about my concerns. I’m not separating his personality issues from this delay. Want to come to NY and have a big deal on the table, take it. That goes for any market with this guy. His full resume, not just his arm, is part of the business. And we’ve seen the fans be correct more often than the people who do this for a living many want to admit.

So if he is being offered more on a short term deal and wants to wait to see if he can get a longer term deal with the same average pay you think that is somehow indicative of his personality issues and inability to handle NY and not simply a matter of a player negotiating for the best contract he can get in his prime years in a financially stressed economy? Is this serious? If you don't like him that is fine, if you have some concerns about if he can handle NYC that is fine, but don't take smart negotiating and business moves and try to manipulate them into your narrative about the guy. He can he unhinged and a smart business man at the same time. Plenty of those going around...

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So if he is being offered more on a short term deal and wants to wait to see if he can get a longer term deal with the same average pay you think that is somehow indicative of his personality issues and inability to handle NY and not simply a matter of a player negotiating for the best contract he can get in his prime years in a financially stressed economy? Is this serious? If you don't like him that is fine, if you have some concerns about if he can handle NYC that is fine, but don't take smart negotiating and business moves and try to manipulate them into your narrative about the guy. He can he unhinged and a smart business man at the same time. Plenty of those going around...

financially stressed economy? The dollars offered to players has been huge. The only reason the market was quiet is b/c MLB still hasn’t made up their minds regarding the DH.

if i’m the Mets, i’m making the business decision of pulling the deal off the table. Then Bauer and his talent/luggage can go take their business acumen elsewhere.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
financially stressed economy? The dollars offered to players has been huge. The only reason the market was quiet is b/c MLB still hasn’t made up their minds regarding the DH.

if i’m the Mets, i’m making the business decision of pulling the deal off the table. Then Bauer and his talent/luggage can go take their business acumen elsewhere.
You don't believe baseball economics are stressed right now? They literally just lost 8.3 billion dollars. Come on...

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You don't believe baseball economics are stressed right now? They literally just lost 8.3 billion dollars. Come on...

the dollars in these contracts are still being handed out regardless of the economic stress. The delay in handing out these contracts was MLB’s was/is the DH.

Back to Bauer - all for the Mets getting into a bidding war but not for this guy. He and his agent can parade around looking for the best offer yet he’s only the best pitcher currently available. There will be others so i’m pulling it off the table.

i enjoy the debate :)

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
the dollars in these contracts are still being handed out regardless of the economic stress. The delay in handing out these contracts was MLB’s was/is the DH.
Okay, so let's not even argue the economics and we can use your DH point (which is hugely economic driven as is extended playoffs), You just said the delay in handing out this contracts is MLB's fault, so then stop trying to blame Bauer and create a narrative that him waiting to sign is related to your concerns about his unstable personality.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Okay, so let's not even argue the economics and we can use your DH point (which is hugely economic driven as is extended playoffs), You just said the delay in handing out this contracts is MLB's fault, so then stop trying to blame Bauer and create a narrative that him waiting to sign is related to your concerns about his unstable personality.

the DH has to do with the contracts handed out to batters not pitchers. The pitchers are on the mound regardless. Top FA pitcher in MLB isn’t getting offers? Maybe there is a reason beyond the economy for that. He received a sizable one from the Mets. Two weeks . . . take it off the table and wish him well.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
the DH has to do with the contracts handed out to batters not pitchers. The pitchers are on the mound regardless. Top FA pitcher in MLB isn’t getting offers? Maybe there is a reason beyond the economy for that. He received a sizable one from the Mets. Two weeks . . . take it off the table and wish him well.
Again, why should he not wait and see if he can get more as the dust settles and other teams miss out on players? Mets weren't signing springer and bauer, bauer waits on other offers and springer signs in toronto. Now mets are involved. He has no rush to sign as other suitors may come up. Teams will make room for the best available pitcher on the market, this isn't puig...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mets named Zack Scott acting GM. Assuming he has no skeletons in his closet, he seems like a fine choice. His background is in data and analytics so it will be nice having that kind of focus from the FO.

They also signed Aaron Loup. If LOOGY's were still a thing it would be great; as it stands with the three-batter rule, it's a decent acquisition. I think he and Matz will be the lefties in the pen, unless Blevins looks really good and earns a contract.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Spoke too soon on Matz being the second lefty in the pen. I think most of his struggles are mental. Hopefully for him, getting away from home will do him good.

Sean Reid-Foley was a name a few years ago. Don't really know the other guys. It's a whatever move, but hopefully they do sign at least one more SP for depth.

Deleted member 23124

You’re right, i did. i perceive the delay as another red flag. I’m wary of this guy in Ny. The offer has been out there for two weeks.
I'm wary of this guy period. I was happy when the Tribe got rid of him.

Reactions: NYSPORTS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad