OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Horrific move by Cash...uggggg.

OK @GoAwayStaal looks like you got me on this bet and so we are even withh bets.

What charity do you want me to donate too or do you want me to send it to you via paypal? LMK

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Rob Manfred just sounds like a complete idiot every time he is behind the mic. Sounds like a Simpson’s character. I mean does he have something wrong with him? And very much looks like someone who got beat up at the bus stop.

Bottom line, get rid of this clown as commissioner.

Reactions: JCProdigy

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

This is such a Boone answer. Losers Lose and this sounds like a pansy ass response. Just say you f***ed up and own it. But nahhh these managers are too sucked into the analytics they wont speak bad of them otherwise they might be burnt at the stake

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

This is such a Boone answer. Losers Lose and this sounds like a pansy ass response. Just say you f***ed up and own it. But nahhh these managers are too sucked into the analytics they wont speak bad of them otherwise they might be burnt at the stake

Not to mention Nick Anderson has been cooked now for over a week, and he just kept going to him time after time.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Kevin Cash's decision to pull Snell early exemplified everything that is wrong with baseball right now. Overthinking, sheer arrogance, smarter than everyone else decision-making. The Yankees did the exact same thing in Game 2 of the ALDS.

Some organizations would rather make unconventional and risky choices, in hopes of looking like a "genius," rather than putting their best players in a position to succeed. Eventually this approach will drive players away, Snell did not sound happy tonight.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Kevin Cash's decision to pull Snell early exemplified everything that is wrong with baseball right now. Overthinking, sheer arrogance, smarter than everyone else decision-making. The Yankees did the exact same thing in Game 2 of the ALDS.

Some organizations would rather make unconventional and risky choices, in hopes of looking like a "genius," rather than putting their best players in a position to succeed. Eventually this approach will drive players away, Snell did not sound happy tonight.

And that's why I lean towards not being a fan of analytics. Do they have their place? Yes. But the problem is - so many teams over-rely on them now.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Cohen is expected to be approved Friday.

I've seen a lot of articles lately about the moves the Mets should make now they have an owner with money. The usual suspects of FA signings but it made me realize George Springer is 31? That's several years older than I thought. That's probably going to be a bad contract quickly.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
And that's why I lean towards not being a fan of analytics. Do they have their place? Yes. But the problem is - so many teams over-rely on them now.
Cash's justification wasn't really an "analytics" decision, though. He just said he didn't want Snell to have to go through the lineup a third time, with Betts coming up. Not facing a lineup a third time is up there with not allowing a guy to throw more than 100 pitches or obsessively trying to match up with LHP/LHH and RHP/RHH late in games (aka the death of the complete game), and it's really become prevalent in the last 20 years. I agree it was a silly decision as the three guys he would potentially face were 0-6 with 6 K's to that point, but I don't think it's an analytics-fueled thing.

It's been pointed out elsewhere that this kind of aggressive pitching change is something the Rays have done all year, to great success. So it wasn't really out of character for them and had worked quite well. Again, I don't agree with it, but they got to that point employing those tactics.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Cash's justification wasn't really an "analytics" decision, though. He just said he didn't want Snell to have to go through the lineup a third time, with Betts coming up. Not facing a lineup a third time is up there with not allowing a guy to throw more than 100 pitches or obsessively trying to match up with LHP/LHH and RHP/RHH late in games (aka the death of the complete game), and it's really become prevalent in the last 20 years. I agree it was a silly decision as the three guys he would potentially face were 0-6 with 6 K's to that point, but I don't think it's an analytics-fueled thing.

It's been pointed out elsewhere that this kind of aggressive pitching change is something the Rays have done all year, to great success. So it wasn't really out of character for them and had worked quite well. Again, I don't agree with it, but they got to that point employing those tactics.

...and so did the Dodgers, as did the Yankees, as did the Astros, etc etc.

It is an analytics-based decision though in many respects. All these managers, I believe, do have the leeway to "go against" the analytics or "use their gut". Why do they not do it so much? I believe partially for two reasons. 1) they believe in the analytics. 2) job security. While the managers can follow their gut, if it doesn't work out, they have explaining to do to their superiors. If they follow the analytics and it doesn't work out, they can point to that and the fact that their higher ups endorse it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't think last night was an analytics thing as much as it was a Kevin Cash being an idiot thing.

Baseball analytics are great. They're very useful for finding low risk buys and predicting future success (amongst other things.)

But if you have a guy who is straight up dealing in a game and the manager takes him out because he doesn't want to go through the order a 3rd time, thats not an analytics things, thats a manager who doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the game.

Cash is a clown and I love that this came back to bite him, but just like Boone's decision in game 2 of the DS, lets not confuse over reliance on analytics with decisions that are just flat out stupid.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
What may be even worse than taking Snell out was the decision to put in Anderson right after.

Anderson has been doing his best Ottavino impression all postseason. He wasn't lights out like he was during the regular season, and it seemed like the Rays were operating under the assumption that he would be.

I know the prevailing sentiment is that the postseason is too small of a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions about a player's performance (Cashman always touts this line after repeated playoff failures). But Anderson allowed runs in 7 consecutive games dating back to the ALDS - how can he possibly be relied upon in that situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad