OT: MLB Thread XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Thank god. The Mets have remained surprisingly relevant in recent years despite horrible mismanagement. I'm optimistic that with Cohen running things, we can get to where we should be.

you’re not going to hear the yearly winter meetings let down

Mets serious about free agency - Mets surprised by costly market

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This flew under my radar but Pujols tied Willie Mays in homers.

40 home runs short of 700. Over a full season he's still good for around 20. Only has 1 year remaining on his contract. I'd love to see him become only the 4th player ever to reach 700 but the odds are against him.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Thank god. The Mets have remained surprisingly relevant in recent years despite horrible mismanagement. I'm optimistic that with Cohen running things, we can get to where we should be.

Totally on board with this. Huge Met fan with a ton of available cash and a very good UFA year upcoming. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we can contend as early as next year considering we have an excellent core.

That said, we still have this year to deal with and how about for a stinken birthday present for me tonight, the Metropolitans start to tease us faithful once again and beat the damn Phillies. Better yet starting tonight, how about sweep them SOB's....hmmm.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Totally on board with this. Huge Met fan with a ton of available cash and a very good UFA year upcoming. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we can contend as early as next year considering we have an excellent core.

That said, we still have this year to deal with and how about for a stinken birthday present for me tonight, the Metropolitans start to tease us faithful once again and beat the damn Phillies. Better yet starting tonight, how about sweep them SOB's....hmmm.
Who is the Met's core? DeGrom is 33 next year. Still excellent but you have a short window with him. There's no other pitchers that would qualify as "core" IMO.

1B - Alonso - is he a 1-year wonder? Decent OPS+ but low average and brutal with RISP.
2B - Cano well you're stuck with him for a few years.
SS - Giminez - looks good but very early in his career. What can you get for Rosario?
3B - JD Davis? Jeff McNeil?
C - Blank
RF - Conforto - going into last year of arbitration before hitting UFA. Is he consistent enough to warrant the big contract his agent (Scott Boras) will want?
CF - Blank
LF - Jeff McNeil has played LF, 2B and 3B. Nimmo is an awful CF so would have to play LF. Where does Dom play? Personally I think he'll be on the Yanks in a few years.

BTW Happy birthday!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Who is the Met's core? DeGrom is 33 next year. Still excellent but you have a short window with him. There's no other pitchers that would qualify as "core" IMO.

1B - Alonso - is he a 1-year wonder? Decent OPS+ but low average and brutal with RISP.
2B - Cano well you're stuck with him for a few years.
SS - Giminez - looks good but very early in his career. What can you get for Rosario?
3B - JD Davis? Jeff McNeil?
C - Blank
RF - Conforto - going into last year of arbitration before hitting UFA. Is he consistent enough to warrant the big contract his agent (Scott Boras) will want?
CF - Blank
LF - Jeff McNeil has played LF, 2B and 3B. Nimmo is an awful CF so would have to play LF. Where does Dom play? Personally I think he'll be on the Yanks in a few years.

BTW Happy birthday!
I think the DH will be a permanent thing in the next CBA. It prolongs the careers of some guys and makes spots for other guys that wouldn't exist. The players will want it. I think managers will want it, too, sparing having to send out their pitchers to hit. I think the genie is out of the bottle, and while they might sneak him back in there next season, it's only a matter of time before he's out for good. So, I think Dom stays.

I also think if you eat a bunch of money you would find teams that would take Cano. I read a lot of journalists saying the same once Cano started showing he had something left in the tank. I don't think it's a given he sticks around.

C: TBD
1B: Alonso (or DH)
2B: McNeil
DH: Smith (or in left/1B)
SS: Gimenez
3B: Davis
LF: Nimmo
CF: TBD
RF: Conforto

Cohen wants to make a splash. Maybe he gets Realmuto. You can get someone like Pillar or an all-field, no-hit guy to play CF if you need to. But even beside that, I think they definitely have enough average or better pieces (assuming you lock them up) to field a very good lineup, with or without the DH.

Pitching will be more of a problem, honestly.

Also, w/r/t Alonso, I posted something a month or so back about how bad the Mets were doing with two strikes, how it appeared there was a team-wide change in approach. It would be naive to say it's all because Chili Davis is working remote, but I do think a more "normal" environment with the hitting coach working with guys in person each day would have a positive impact. I mean Alonso hasn't lost his bat speed or anything, his approach is just messed up.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I think the DH will be a permanent thing in the next CBA. It prolongs the careers of some guys and makes spots for other guys that wouldn't exist. The players will want it. I think managers will want it, too, sparing having to send out their pitchers to hit. I think the genie is out of the bottle, and while they might sneak him back in there next season, it's only a matter of time before he's out for good. So, I think Dom stays.

I also think if you eat a bunch of money you would find teams that would take Cano. I read a lot of journalists saying the same once Cano started showing he had something left in the tank. I don't think it's a given he sticks around.

C: TBD
1B: Alonso (or DH)
2B: McNeil
DH: Smith (or in left/1B)
SS: Gimenez
3B: Davis
LF: Nimmo
CF: TBD
RF: Conforto

Cohen wants to make a splash. Maybe he gets Realmuto. You can get someone like Pillar or an all-field, no-hit guy to play CF if you need to. But even beside that, I think they definitely have enough average or better pieces (assuming you lock them up) to field a very good lineup, with or without the DH.

Pitching will be more of a problem, honestly.

Also, w/r/t Alonso, I posted something a month or so back about how bad the Mets were doing with two strikes, how it appeared there was a team-wide change in approach. It would be naive to say it's all because Chili Davis is working remote, but I do think a more "normal" environment with the hitting coach working with guys in person each day would have a positive impact. I mean Alonso hasn't lost his bat speed or anything, his approach is just messed up.
The Mets might be looser with the purse strings now but do you really want to sign a 30 yo catcher looking to sign a long term contract after getting screwed in arbitration?

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Mets might be looser with the purse strings now but do you really want to sign a 30 yo catcher looking to sign a long term contract after getting screwed in arbitration?
No, I'm actually not super interested in Realmuto unless his market collapses. I just think that if Cohen is looking to make a splashy signing he's a likely fit, and then for at least a couple seasons you'd be looking good at C.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
No, I'm actually not super interested in Realmuto unless his market collapses. I just think that if Cohen is looking to make a splashy signing he's a likely fit, and then for at least a couple seasons you'd be looking good at C.

like a bunch of kids deprived of ice cream all summer, i’ll buy anything!!!!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
also lol the Yankees sent 9 batters to the plate in three straight innings

How often has that happened?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Haven’t been following the Mets closely. Surprised to see so many projected lineups without Rosario. We waited years for Rosario and his five tools to reach the Majors, and now he’s already surpassed on the depth chart? Calls to mind Lastings Milledge.

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
f***ing Yankees...
tenor.gif

Love Deivi getting the experience and performing. He threw 88 pitches through 7 so I have no problem with it. Finally getting some much needed length out of the starters. Probably won't last long but I'll take it while it does.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If i was Cashman i would have given Dj a lifetime contract extension already.The guy is a damn hitting machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino