OT: MLB Thread XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A few takeaways from this season, for me.

I still do not like the DH in any way, shape, or form, but I do think if it were to be permanently implemented in the NL, I would be able to live with it. I like having pitchers take a turn at bat and how it forces you to try to build innings around that. Again, though, if I had to see Dom or Pete at DH for the next four or five years, I'd be okay with that.

The three batter rule for relievers, I actually liked. Whether it speeds things up or not, I'm not sure, I haven't seen numbers. But in general I think the concept is fine and it adds an element of strategy.

The runner on second rule to start extras is absolutely ridiculous. f*** that shit. I had seen it in the minors and it seemed gimmicky, but that was fine because MiLB is kind of supposed to be gimmicky. At this level it's just terrible.

I think rosters should be permanently expanded. I think it rewards teams for building superior organizational depth. Yes, it will be easier for rich teams to build out superior benches than the mid-market and poorer teams, but I think shrewd GMs will still be able to create a good stable of guys out there.

I'm also ready for the system where balls and strikes are automatic and the ump on the field just makes the call that's relayed to him.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm also ready for the system where balls and strikes are automatic and the ump on the field just makes the call that's relayed to him.
Players will still whine and complain to the ump, rightly or wrongly.

Ump: Strike 2!
Player: That was outside!
Ump: The BS-2000 said it was a strike.
Player: The BS-2000 is worse than you!
Ump: The BS-2000 is offended by that and says you're outta here!

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Maximus

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Players will still whine and complain to the ump, rightly or wrongly.

Ump: Strike 2!
Player: That was outside!
Ump: The BS-2000 said it was a strike.
Player: The BS-2000 is worse than you!
Ump: The BS-2000 is offended by that and says you're outta here!
But how funny would it be if in some random game the computer was screwing up and telling the ump to call a strike on a ball three feet outside. ...and the ump wouldn't even question it if that ump was Angel Hernandez.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Anyone know why they put Peterson in the bullpen? I thought he was pretty good as a starter.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But how funny would it be if in some random game the computer was screwing up and telling the ump to call a strike on a ball three feet outside. ...and the ump wouldn't even question it if that ump was Angel Hernandez.
I assume that if Joe West isn't dead by the time they institute the automatic balls and strikes, he's just going to call them like he seems them (incorrectly) and ignore the system.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jason Wilson being shit this year has been just as much of a problem in the bullpen as Diaz or anyone else. We were counting on him to be a rock and he just hasn't gotten it done.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
41 is no longer with us....Sad day for Met fans...Sad day for anyone who loves baseball.

He was and still is too this day my favorite athlete who ever played in any sport.

Very sad right now

My first sports hero. I became a Met fan in 1973. It's been a long and painful road ever since. The fact that Met ownership ever felt he needed to be traded in 1977, and the current ownership never found the time to honor the greatest player in Met history is almost a crime.

Reactions: Leetch3 and Krams

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seaver was before by time but that is quite sad. My father, who was 72 when he passed last year, ALWAYS mentioned Seaver when we made trades. Everyone we traded for was going to "turn into a pile of sand," and every young guy we moved was going to be Tom Seaver. :laugh: He maybe wasn't right about the latter, but the former seems correct.

Condolences to the Seaver family.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
My first sports hero. I became a Met fan in 1973. It's been a long and painful road ever since. The fact that Met ownership ever felt he needed to be traded in 1977, and the current ownership never found the time to honor the greatest player in Met history is almost a crime.

How's this for irony. Last night I was surfing YouTube as I'm apt too do after the Canucks/Vegas game was over and I stumbled upon the "Tom Seaver" Day video from 1988 and watched all 51 minutes of it before I hit the sack. And the next day 41 dies? How weird is that?

He needs to have a statue erected at Citi Field so that the first thing you see before you go in is you get too see the Franchise....the greatest Met of all. Have a feeling once Cohen takes over, that will in fact happen!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
How's this for irony. Last night I was surfing YouTube as I'm apt too do after the Canucks/Vegas game was over and I stumbled upon the "Tom Seaver" Day video from 1988 and watched all 51 minutes of it before I hit the sack. And the next day 41 dies? How weird is that?

He needs to have a statue erected at Citi Field so that the first thing you see before you go in is you get too see the Franchise....the greatest Met of all. Have a feeling once Cohen takes over, that will in fact happen!

I went to Tom Seaver Day. Somehow they found a way to lose to a young John Smoltz in a year they won 100 games.

Oh, and a lifelong Met fan like Cohen is most certainly going to honor the man.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I went to Tom Seaver Day. Somehow they found a way to lose to a young John Smoltz in a year they won 100 games.

Oh, and a lifelong Met fan like Cohen is most certainly going to honor the man.

How wild is that...you were at Tom Seaver Day and I just so happen too watch it last night. He looked so good that day. He was 43 still. He looked like he still could play.

You probably remember as a way of thanking all of us fans...he ran out too the mound and bowed too every section of Shea. I gotta admit...I had some tears. And now the news 41 is gone...oh man....very rough right now.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
How wild is that...you were at Tom Seaver Day and I just so happen too watch it last night. He looked so good that day. He was 43 still. He looked like he still could play.

You probably remember as a way of thanking all of us fans...he ran out too the mound and bowed too every section of Shea. I gotta admit...I had some tears. And now the news 41 is gone...oh man....very rough right now.

Yup...15 years after first watching the man pitch, it gave me goosebumps to see him on the mound that one last time.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I wish I was able to get to see Tom Terrific play.

Guys like him and Bill Bradley must have been great to root for back in the day. Cerebral, talented and likable. Leaders of their teams. They won championships for the Mets and Knicks.

Respect to the greatest Met ever.

He really was a special player. He had THE perfect pitching motion and mechanics and I do mean PERFECT. Too this day no one can duplicate Seaver's mechanics. His right knee would get all dirty and at times ripped due too his knee dragging onto the mound as he released the ball.

Go watch video's of him...it's just perfect. And I know this is biased but he's the best right handed pitcher I've ever seen with my eyes and I've been watching baseball since around 1969-70.

41 was the best and so sad he died the way he did. He was my hero and first mancrush I ever had...it lasted over 50 years!

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
63746.jpg

A great man and a great starter. He's become underrated by the younger fans. Of all the SPs who've come into MLB since 1967 he's top 5 with Clemens, Randy Johnson, Maddux, and Pedro.

Hall of Famer
3 Cy Youngs
Rookie of the Year
12x All-Star
1969 World Series
3x ERA titles

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Watching all these tributes too 41 on ESPN, SNY, MLB Network has gotten me a wet mess. All it's doing is reminding me of how great he was. I guess that's the point.

For those of y'all old enough to remember, there was nothing more enjoyable than after a Seaver masterpiece at Shea which were many, he would go on Kiners Korner and talk too Ralph about how and why he made the pitch he made to a certain hitter. There was no better cerebral and intelligent pitcher than 41 was and I just loved it when he explained why he did what he did.

OK enough waxing poetic about him. It's just a really sad day tho we all knew it was about too happen...it was just a matter of time. The greatest Met of all time is gone and there will never ever be another Met who will approach his popularity and greatness ever...that's a fact!! If it does happen, than the Mets will have won a bunch of WS....that's also a fact!

Reactions: Soul Man

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Round One: Soul Man - BB - SP Roger Clemens
- Brooklyn Dodgers - LF Ted Williams

Round Two: - Brooklyn Dodgers - SP Randy Johnson
Soul Man - BB - SP Tom Seaver

I started a 1939+ mock draft with a friend right before Tom passed away. I drafted him right where I think he belongs, the 3rd best SP since 1939. I went pitching first so Bonds, Mays, and Aaron were undrafted when I took him.​

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad