OT: MLB Thread XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

steven just imagine how much more frustrating it would be if you had to watch yourself pitch like the rest of us

Reactions: bleedblue94

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Reading a bunch of Mets beat and ex beat writers on twitter keep talking about how Jeff Wilpon was always the real GM makes me feel good about the Cohen days.

d’arneaud started some talk last night about how Jeff rage cut TDA after he went 0-25, then got thrown out stretching single to double. Against Brodie’s wishes. But Jeff is the GM. Crazy.

Reactions: Krams and Leetch3

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
The fake crowd noise is overwhelming the players voices when they are interviewing them in game on FOX right now.

I couldn’t understand what Alonso was saying and put on closed captioning.

The cc said “inaudible: crowd noise”.

In an empty stadium.

They also showed virtual fans in otherwise empty seats earlier in the game. Freaked me out for a minute.

Reactions: Greg02

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Reading a bunch of Mets beat and ex beat writers on twitter keep talking about how Jeff Wilpon was always the real GM makes me feel good about the Cohen days.

d’arneaud started some talk last night about how Jeff rage cut TDA after he went 0-25, then got thrown out stretching single to double. Against Brodie’s wishes. But Jeff is the GM. Crazy.

Any chance you could say which writers they were? I'm interested in reading those tweets myself

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This was the main part of it. A few comments/retweets came out of it by others confirming it

I can't speak to the specific circumstances that led to the Mets cutting him, but I don't think it was unreasonable at the time, based on what he as a player had done. He was 30, literally could not stay on the field (played like 10 games the previous year or something?), and didn't even hit particularly well when he was healthy. I remember there being a good deal of doubt about whether he would even be on the team last year, and it had nothing go do with the Wilpons, just his performance.

That's great that he's been able to stay healthy and is hitting well, and maybe Wilpon did some dumb things (don't know, don't care), but there was a compelling case to be made to cut him before the 2019 season. I know not everyone agreed with it but it wasn't some outlandish thing. This feels like saying we made a massive mistake by not keeping Justin Turner. Well, sure, in retrospect; but no one, not even the Dodgers, anticipated what was going to happen with him.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I can't speak to the specific circumstances that led to the Mets cutting him, but I don't think it was unreasonable at the time, based on what he as a player had done. He was 30, literally could not stay on the field (played like 10 games the previous year or something?), and didn't even hit particularly well when he was healthy. I remember there being a good deal of doubt about whether he would even be on the team last year, and it had nothing go do with the Wilpons, just his performance.

That's great that he's been able to stay healthy and is hitting well, and maybe Wilpon did some dumb things (don't know, don't care), but there was a compelling case to be made to cut him before the 2019 season. I know not everyone agreed with it but it wasn't some outlandish thing. This feels like saying we made a massive mistake by not keeping Justin Turner. Well, sure, in retrospect; but no one, not even the Dodgers, anticipated what was going to happen with him.

yeah I’m not really upset with moving on. It wasn’t the worst decision. My point was more about how involved Jeff Wilpon was/is, and how more of it is coming out now that they’re selling.
more and more stories come out as writers don’t fear getting cut off for criticizing him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
yeah I’m not really upset with moving on. It wasn’t the worst decision. My point was more about how involved Jeff Wilpon was/is, and how more of it is coming out now that they’re selling.
more and more stories come out as writers don’t fear getting cut off for criticizing him.
Yeah I totally get that, I'm sure there was Wilpon idiocy involved. And I'm glad that stuff will hopefully be coming to an end (although Cohen is known as a hands-on guy). I just feel like portraying the release of d'Arnaud as some massive Wilpon fail is a bit disingenuous as he could have easily been let go after 2018 for purely baseball reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad