OT: MLB Thread XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
That was a lock to happen. No sticky icky here.

He's still been good. As has Tanaka. Happ has improved.
I think there was a moment or two caught on camera this season that has shown his fingers 'un-sticking' from the brim of his hat, so I don't think he's not using tar.

That being said...re: the use of pine tar by pitchers...I think a decent amount of pitchers use it, and most batters don't actually care. In fact...batters prefer pitchers using pine tar because...well...better control of the ball. Less wild pitches and slipping to hit them (unless intentional, obviously). Batters use pine tar and stuff to prevent the bat slipping in their grip, so there really is no difference.

And yeah, Cole has been bad relative to what he has been in the past. But, that 'bad' is still good.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I think there was a moment or two caught on camera this season that has shown his fingers 'un-sticking' from the brim of his hat, so I don't think he's not using tar.

That being said...re: the use of pine tar by pitchers...I think a decent amount of pitchers use it, and most batters don't actually care. In fact...batters prefer pitchers using pine tar because...well...better control of the ball. Less wild pitches and slipping to hit them (unless intentional, obviously). Batters use pine tar and stuff to prevent the bat slipping in their grip, so there really is no difference.

And yeah, Cole has been bad relative to what he has been in the past. But, that 'bad' is still good.
I think the idea is that pitchers use pine tar because it is claimed it can increase their spin rate by 300 rpm. I can't imagine hitters not caring about that.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Cohen should be talking extension with Conforto even before the sale is done. JUST GET IT DONE!

He's finally showing what he can be and what we thought he could become.

He's going to get legit MVP votes too, he's been that good.

Give me the DH permanently too because I'm here for Alonso and Smith being around for a while.

Objective #1 and 2 in the offseason, get some damn pitching, starters and relief.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I knew Dom was going to swing 3-0 if he got a fastball. After the Tatis thing he said he would do it, too. Too many times you take a fat one 3-0, the guy paints the black 3-1, and then sure enough you're waving at a breaking ball, wishing you swung at the 3-0.

Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Interested to see Kay pitch. He has pretty good top-line numbers in Toronto but his peripherals, including the BB/9, kinda suck. xFIP of 5.20 and a SIERA not far off.
Answering my own post, he was obviously a bit lucky and luck caught up to him today.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Can the Mets play the Blue Jays the rest of the season? This is ridiculous in a good way.

We might be able to make the playoffs than....lol

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
We can catch the Braves 29 runs. 14 in 4... we are on pace!

Seriously though, we made up alot of ground recently in the season run differential total. We should be in the green now. If things get tight for the final spot for the playoffs seems like that might be a tie beaker.

Anyone know?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We can catch the Braves 29 runs. 14 in 4... we are on pace!

Seriously though, we made up alot of ground recently in the season run differential total. We should be in the green now. If things get tight for the final spot for the playoffs seems like that might be a tie beaker.

Anyone know?
Head-to-head, record in the division, then record over the last 20 in the division.

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the mets scoring 18 runs in buffalo tonight is definitely more points than the jets will score in buffalo on sunday...

32 runs in 2 starts for degrom...i'm not sure they scored 90 for him all last year lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
the mets scoring 18 runs in buffalo tonight is definitely more points than the jets will score in buffalo on sunday...

32 runs in 2 starts for degrom...i'm not sure they scored 90 for him all last year lol

Still laughing reading this because it's probably true...check that definitely true...lol.

My nomination for best post of the month...well done Leetchie!

Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad