OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Mets have signed one of the third round picks (the crappy one) and the fourth round pick and in the process saved about $780K. Which is great. Once Orze, the fifth round pick, signs for way under slot, they should have enough room to sign Ginn while still having plenty left over for PCA and Greene.

I like how Brodie drafts.

first we just need him to stop trading top prospects for washed up former clients lol...

but it will be very interesting to see how his draft strategy will be view in a few years....he has essentially (for lack of a better term) forfeited a number of picks taking significantly lesser picks so they could be signed way underslot so he could over pay on other players. he is going for quality over quantity and putting all his eggs in one basket...if those guys that he is investing big $$ in become stars then he will look like a genius. But if Matt Allan busts, people will look back at all the 'missed opportunities' in other rounds to put all his eggs in that basket. Its definitely an interesting and aggressive strategy though.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
first we just need him to stop trading top prospects for washed up former clients lol...

but it will be very interesting to see how his draft strategy will be view in a few years....he has essentially (for lack of a better term) forfeited a number of picks taking significantly lesser picks so they could be signed way underslot so he could over pay on other players. he is going for quality over quantity and putting all his eggs in one basket...if those guys that he is investing big $$ in become stars then he will look like a genius. But if Matt Allan busts, people will look back at all the 'missed opportunities' in other rounds to put all his eggs in that basket. Its definitely an interesting and aggressive strategy though.
I think his strategy makes sense given that we're going from five to seven minor league teams. Most draft picks end up as organizational filler. We can sign those guys as UDFAs, like we've started to do. So they want to try to get as many high-impact guys as possible, since Matt Allan and JT Ginn panning out makes a bigger impact than 4-5 other guys "panning out" as mediocre spares or whatever, which is what you would usually get from the picks where BVW is looking to save money. It will be interesting how it plays out in a few years, but it's aggressive and I like it.

And yeah, the trades are a different story. I really don't have a problem with any of them other than the Cano/Diaz deal, and even then at the time, I understood the logic. If Diaz can turn it around that would be huge, and make that deal look less terrible. And if Cano can do something like an .800 OPS, which if he stays healthy I think is realistic, then it hurts even less. But yeah--Kelenic and Dunn may haunt us for years. Good thing they're in Seattle.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Outside of the Cano trade I've loved the job Brodie has done.

Of course the trade has a "other than that, how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?" vibe to it

I was going to say — he's made one big move that, to date, seems like a loser.

He has been a bit savvy. The Stroman move to proactively compact losing Wheeler was a nice, out of the box move. The organization on the whole needs to make rebuilding the farm system a priority.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Outside of the Cano trade I've loved the job Brodie has done.

Of course the trade has a "other than that, how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?" vibe to it

It was a massive blunder with out a doubt.

But I'll give him credit. No matter how it works out for him with the Mets he will leave no doubt and I respect that aggressiveness.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think his strategy makes sense given that we're going from five to seven minor league teams. Most draft picks end up as organizational filler. We can sign those guys as UDFAs, like we've started to do. So they want to try to get as many high-impact guys as possible, since Matt Allan and JT Ginn panning out makes a bigger impact than 4-5 other guys "panning out" as mediocre spares or whatever, which is what you would usually get from the picks where BVW is looking to save money. It will be interesting how it plays out in a few years, but it's aggressive and I like it.

And yeah, the trades are a different story. I really don't have a problem with any of them other than the Cano/Diaz deal, and even then at the time, I understood the logic. If Diaz can turn it around that would be huge, and make that deal look less terrible. And if Cano can do something like an .800 OPS, which if he stays healthy I think is realistic, then it hurts even less. But yeah--Kelenic and Dunn may haunt us for years. Good thing they're in Seattle.

I like Brodie a lot. He is very aggressive with making moves to try and make the team better. Of course sometimes when you do that you're going to get burned. But he is not one of these passive GM's who sits there frightened to make any deal worried about media perception or it going wrong. I'd rather a GM who tries to hit it big and occasionally ends up with someone going bad than one who just tries to ride it out slowly. If you win every trade you make all that means is you're not trading enough.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

nothing will change until this Ownership is gone. Kelenic was the reward for a miserable year and they gave him away.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not sure who this guy is

good news for mets, the mets love nothing move than having players that can hit but can't field a position and have to bounce around the field

Reactions: East Coast Bias

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Would be great. Get Dom Smith some ABs and see what we got.
I would think that they may platoon Smith and Cespedes. Assuming Ces is ready. Maybe also have Davis on the mix if they want to try to establish Ces could play the OF, which might give him some trade value in the off-season.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
it would open up a ton of options for the mets...cespedes and lowrie (if he's still alive) are both cripples and can't stay on the field. cano is a senior citizen with limited range at this stage. dom smith doesn't have a position...potentially jd davis doesn't have a position. and possibly the biggest plus of all is that they can put mcneil at 3rd or 2nd and then leave him there instead of bouncing from position to position so they can rotate the guys with no real position into the lineup.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
it would open up a ton of options for the mets...cespedes and lowrie (if he's still alive) are both cripples and can't stay on the field. cano is a senior citizen with limited range at this stage. dom smith doesn't have a position...potentially jd davis doesn't have a position. and possibly the biggest plus of all is that they can put mcneil at 3rd or 2nd and then leave him there instead of bouncing from position to position so they can rotate the guys with no real position into the lineup.
Yeah. I don't like the DH but I do think the Mets are one NL team that would really benefit from it.

Reactions: Maximus

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I would think that they may platoon Smith and Cespedes. Assuming Ces is ready. Maybe also have Davis on the mix if they want to try to establish Ces could play the OF, which might give him some trade value in the off-season.

It’ll be interesting for the first couple weeks to see how they rotate guys you mention

(until they all get hurt)

Reactions: Maximus and nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad