OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm getting more and more pessimistic that there will be a baseball season. Just seems like both sides are not budging enough and I gotta feeling with this shutdown of all training camps, they are going to use the pandemic as the reason that a legitimate season couldn't be had.

I love me my baseball as much as anyone but with hockey and football very likely going to be played as well as basketball and you can add golf who will have some huge tournaments beginning in September, no baseball is not going to be as big a deal as I thought it would be....screw them!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nobody wants to watch fat guys waddle around the bases either but no one is asking for a DR.
The fact that nobody runs anymore is a problem, sure, but it's more to do with the culture of the game these days. If there were a designated runner, he'd stand on first waiting for a homer like the fat guy does.

The way to combat that is to stop using sky bounce balls.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

It was Michael Corleone who said "Just when I thought I was done with baseball....they suck me back in"...yes? lol

In all seriousness was so prepared and ready for there to be no baseball as I was so sick and tired of all the BS rhetoric going on. Well now that it's back I guess I'm happy cause I love baseball...I love my Mets and until our Rangers are back in business sometime late July early August, at least we'll have some live baseball too watch....Go Mets!!

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
i

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not excited. Baseball, as much as I love it, I always turned my full attention to when hockey ended. So, obviously, that's different now. Feels out of order.

I don't like the 60 game season. That's less than a regular ST and then third of a season combined. It's not enough, not in baseball. I don't like what the schedule will look like. In general, I just don't like anything about the structure. And accordingly, I'm just not amped for it. I was also expecting the season to be canceled and I became okay with it.

Reactions: Leetch3

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm not excited. Baseball, as much as I love it, I always turned my full attention to when hockey ended. So, obviously, that's different now. Feels out of order.

I don't like the 60 game season. That's less than a regular ST and then third of a season combined. It's not enough, not in baseball. I don't like what the schedule will look like. In general, I just don't like anything about the structure. And accordingly, I'm just not amped for it. I was also expecting the season to be canceled and I became okay with it.

I don't have a problem with a 60 game season. I have a problem with a 60 game season with an insanely unfair schedule. Why is there interleague at all? Why are they keeping rivalries? In 60 games the Mets face the Yankees 6 times and the Nats face the Orioles 6 times? From the Yankees perspective they face the Mets 6 times and the Rays will get the Marlins 6 times.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I don't have a problem with a 60 game season. I have a problem with a 60 game season with an insanely unfair schedule. Why is there interleague at all? Why are they keeping rivalries? In 60 games the Mets face the Yankees 6 times and the Nats face the Orioles 6 times? From the Yankees perspective they face the Mets 6 times and the Rays will get the Marlins 6 times.

Was hoping that it would be 4 games against each team from the opposite league. It would reduce travel since you can just play a single 4 game series against each team. Some combination of 2 on the road and 3 at home, but I guess that would create an unbalanced schedule with some teams having more home games than others.

Teams that should have a significant advantage because of this: Cardinals, Nationals, Rays, A's, Dodgers (unless the Angels can somehow pitch this year).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
How the Mets' 2020 60-game schedule reportedly breaks down by opponent

The Mets would apparently have this schedule which is........not great! NL/AL East teams def don't come out on top here. Someone like the D'Backs have a big advantage. Oh well.

10 games vs. Washington Nationals
10 games vs. Philadelphia Phillies
10 games vs. Atlanta Braves
10 games vs. Miami Marlins
4 games vs. New York Yankees
4 games vs. Boston Red Sox
4 games vs. Tampa Bay Rays
4 games vs. Baltimore Orioles
4 games vs. Toronto Blue Jays

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How the Mets' 2020 60-game schedule reportedly breaks down by opponent

The Mets would apparently have this schedule which is........not great! NL/AL East teams def don't come out on top here. Someone like the D'Backs have a big advantage. Oh well.

10 games vs. Washington Nationals
10 games vs. Philadelphia Phillies
10 games vs. Atlanta Braves
10 games vs. Miami Marlins
4 games vs. New York Yankees
4 games vs. Boston Red Sox
4 games vs. Tampa Bay Rays
4 games vs. Baltimore Orioles
4 games vs. Toronto Blue Jays

30% of the Mets games are against opponents who finished last season in bottom 5 with 40% who finished in the top 8.

60 games should be safe enough for the aging Cano to remain healthy. Although Kelenic may have wait until the age of 21 to get his chance lol.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

German is going to be punished more than the Astros at this point is one of the most insane things to come out of this shortened season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah that's it, for me. 60 games, if you're going to do the "rivalry" nonsense, is not enough. I know there's no such thing as a truly balanced schedule, but some teams really get f***ed with these kind of arrangements (not arguing the Mets are one--I think they get a bit of a raw deal but nothing too bad). I just don't like it. 162 games has a way of evening things out.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Yeah that's it, for me. 60 games, if you're going to do the "rivalry" nonsense, is not enough. I know there's no such thing as a truly balanced schedule, but some teams really get f***ed with these kind of arrangements (not arguing the Mets are one--I think they get a bit of a raw deal but nothing too bad). I just don't like it. 162 games has a way of evening things out.

There's no rivalry schedule. NL East plays AL East 4 times each and within the division 10 times each. I do have a feeling that they will continue to negotiate an expanded playoff system to even things out a bit more between divisions.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There's no rivalry schedule. NL East plays AL East 4 times each and within the division 10 times each. I do have a feeling that they will continue to negotiate an expanded playoff system to even things out a bit more between divisions.

Reactions: nyr2k2

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
A 3rd of the season against the other league seems wrong. A get the desire not to travel but how different is a flight to tampa from a flight to st. louis?

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A 3rd of the season against the other league seems wrong. A get the desire not to travel but how different is a flight to tampa from a flight to st. louis?
It all just seems poorly constructed and rushed. And honestly, less safe than what other leagues are doing. JMO.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It all just seems poorly constructed and rushed. And honestly, less safe than what other leagues are doing. JMO.

Time to man up and get out there. They are probably as likely to die in a car accident as they are from CoVid. The league is trying to make them safer by keeping teams in regions. It’ll be different but potentially safer.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Time to man up and get out there. They are probably as likely to die in a car accident as they are from CoVid. The league is trying to make them safer by keeping teams in regions. It’ll be different but potentially safer.
"Man up." Right, okay. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we'll see.

Reactions: Bob Richards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad