OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know international signings can be exciting too but baseball draft has arguably more strategy with drafting being affected by above and below slot players.
Yes. I haven't been a huge fan of BVW since he came to the Mets, but I liked what they did in the draft. They were able to draft--and sign--multiple first round talents by being strategic about when to take the college seniors they knew would sign for nothing.

EDIT: Last year, I mean.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I know international signings can be exciting too but baseball draft has arguably more strategy with drafting being affected by above and below slot players.

there is also the sign-ability issue...you only have a few months to sign them or you lose their rights. last year Al leiter's kid was going to be a 1st round pick but he told everyone he was going to college so no one took him. yanks took him in like the 20th round but he didn't sign so he will go back into the draft when he leaves college.

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The Yankees drafted Austin Wells (C) in the first round last night.

Apparently he's a great hitter but isn't so good defensively. They were saying how his only chance to catch is if they introduce robot umpires, but they mainly drafted him for his hitting.

Lefty with a power to all fields. I'll take it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
"Mullen: I really like what the New York Mets did with their first two picks in this draft. Pete Crow-Armstrong is the kind of prospect who would have gone much higher with just a bit more present power, and if the signs of the outfielder showing it more often this spring are real, he's a steal at No. 19. Then they placed a second-round bet on right-hander J.T. Ginn coming back with the first-round stuff he showed before needing Tommy John surgery, which also could pay big dividends."

MLB draft: Who hit it out of the park and who swung and missed?

I assume the Mets drafted Ginn because they know they can sign him, which would be awesome. Similar approach to last year with a couple big-name guys and then some big under-slot guys to even it out.

I think more teams will go that route if they eliminate a bunch of minor league teams, as MLB teams will focus more on big upside and less on low-ceiling/high-floor guys who often just end up being the organizational filler.

The last guy the Mets took, Eric Orze, missed most of 2018 and all of 2019 after dealing with both testicular and skin cancer. Good story. BA listed him as one of their 10 Sleeper Picks for the draft.

Mets draft RHP Orze, a 2-time cancer survivor
10 MLB Draft Sleepers To Know According To Draftpoint Technology

Last edited:
Reactions: East Coast Bias

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You have to choose one of these pictures and the other gets yeeted from existence. Choose your fighter.

D4FZzxaWAAAhMhp.jpg

10805813_4851203176159_7871866695897100061_n.jpg

The Founding Father wins.
I dunno, man. It's a really tough call over Mr. Vargas, the cool chemistry teacher who got all those kids to learn to love science, turn their grades around, and go on to college...

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

So people are whining that the Yankees actually followed league rules by not releasing the findings of their letter and that there are some bitter Sox/Astros players who think that they're being helped by Manfred.

I mean release the letter by all means, it should all be public but this just sounds like a bunch of bitches trying to cry foul because they got caught doing shit. What reason does Rob Manfred have to give the Yankees a pass? Red Sox are a big market team too and they got dinged.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So people are whining that the Yankees actually followed league rules by not releasing the findings of their letter and that there are some bitter Sox/Astros players who think that they're being helped by Manfred.

I mean release the letter by all means, it should all be public but this just sounds like a bunch of bitches trying to cry foul because they got caught doing shit. What reason does Rob Manfred have to give the Yankees a pass? Red Sox are a big market team too and they got dinged.
This is because of a lawsuit by daily fantasy sports players. Who are the MLB players that are whining about this?

Reactions: bleedblue94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is because of a lawsuit by daily fantasy sports players. Who are the MLB players that are whining about this?

I read it wrong, I thought it was members of the Astros and Red Sox but they're getting sued too.

But seeing Astros fans/players/Sox fans/Mets fans crowing about when everything pretty much says that the releasing are already public knowledge is hilarious/pathetic.

The articles that have been put out there are pure click bait and they've reeled in a bunch of morons. Mission Accomplished.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I read it wrong, I thought it was members of the Astros and Red Sox but they're getting sued too.

But seeing Astros fans/players/Sox fans/Mets fans crowing about when everything pretty much says that the releasing are already public knowledge is hilarious/pathetic.

The articles that have been put out there are pure click bait and they've reeled in a bunch of morons. Mission Accomplished.
I don't know, you can call it click bait, but when the team is adamantly opposed to its release, says it will call "serious reputational injury," and will probably file an emergency appeal to stop its release--the report at least seems interesting, no? Maybe it will end up being stuff that's public knowledge. Who knows. The Yankees don't want us to know, and neither does MLB, which I find intriguing.

I guess I'm just some moron for being interest though?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know, you can call it click bait, but when the team is adamantly opposed to its release, says it will call "serious reputational injury," and will probably file an emergency appeal to stop its release--the report at least seems interesting, no? Maybe it will end up being stuff that's public knowledge. Who knows. The Yankees don't want us to know, and neither does MLB, which I find intriguing.

I guess I'm just some moron for being interest though?

Probably for the names that would be revealed in relation to the investigation that covers 2015-17 (prior to the rules about electronics being put in place) not evidence of further wrong doing.

Also, MLB asked that the Sox and Astros not unseal their letters too (which to my knowledge, haven't been) in addition to the Yankees. I'm all for them unsealing the letters as it will remove all doubt btw.

You're not a moron for being interested. The morons are the ones acting like they got caught and are hiding something and gloating about it. If there was something more serious going on, they would have gotten dinged. There is NO reason for them to get a free pass.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Probably for the names that would be revealed in relation to the investigation that covers 2015-17 (prior to the rules about electronics being put in place) not evidence of further wrong doing.

Also, MLB asked that the Sox and Astros not unseal their letters too (which to my knowledge, haven't been) in addition to the Yankees. I'm all for them unsealing the letters as it will remove all doubt btw.

You're not a moron for being interested. The morons are the ones acting like they got caught and are hiding something and gloating about it. If there was something more serious going on, they would have gotten dinged. There is NO reason for them to get a free pass.
Stranger things have happened. We'll see, I guess. Or not.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
This league sucks.

Robbed me of prime Peter Alonso bombs making me happy.

Yeah this is a downside, but Syndergaard missing the whole season probably took them out of being a team that could win it all.

Maybe after all this is over the Wilpons sell the team and someone will inject some money to spend. Lots of injured money coming off the books, so they could realistically spend when a lot of other teams need to pull back.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Maybe after all this is over the Wilpons sell the team and someone will inject some money to spend. Lots of injured money coming off the books, so they could realistically spend when a lot of other teams need to pull back.
That's what Marlin fans were thinking before their team was bought by a group that couldn't make payroll.

Reactions: romba and Leetch3

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
This league sucks.

Robbed me of prime Peter Alonso bombs making me happy.

I hear ya...we had our fantasy draft a couple of days before the lockdown and I had me some Pete Alonso, Jeff McNeil and don't laugh...Edwin Diaz who I thought and still think will bounce back this year, too root for on my squad. Was really looking fwd too it.

Now who the hell knows what's going to happen. Thankfully we get our hockey back and I'll be interested to see how the NBA works out. If baseball can't get their shit together well than screw them. Before you know it we'll have football back as well and so baseball is going to lose out bigtime.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Mets have signed one of the third round picks (the crappy one) and the fourth round pick and in the process saved about $780K. Which is great. Once Orze, the fifth round pick, signs for way under slot, they should have enough room to sign Ginn while still having plenty left over for PCA and Greene.

I like how Brodie drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad