OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Somewhere the Wilpons are probably discussing whether they can create an LLC for a small business loan to cover player and staff salaries until the season starts bc they can’t last more than a couple months without the revenue.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Man I miss baseball. I will say over this past weekend watching both games 4 & 5 of that amazing '86 Met Astros NLCS did satisfy a little bit of that itch

I also watched some highlights of that phenomenal 2015 run Mets had to the WS and it still amazes me and brings back great memories at how en fuego and scorching hot Daniel Murphy was that entire playoff run.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Justin Turner wants MLB to go to the “shootout” after 10 innings. No thanks.

LA's Turner: End extra innings with HR derby
Terrible. Of course, I hate the shootout. And am lukewarm on OT in the regular season.

I understand that we're in unprecedented times and MLB wants to have a season, but there's a difference between having a season and watering down the fabric and uniqueness of the game in order to have a season.

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Terrible. Of course, I hate the shootout. And am lukewarm on OT in the regular season.

I understand that we're in unprecedented times and MLB wants to have a season, but there's a difference between having a season and watering down the fabric and uniqueness of the game in order to have a season.
I think people just have so much free time right now that they are just spit balling. Turner is a pretty outspoken guy and doesn’t mind musing in public. Manfred wants to speed the game along but this ain’t the way. I don’t expect it to happen. I was amused that baseball players were looking to hockey for ideas

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020

This may sound dumb, but this is like a beacon of hope. Obviously there are more important things than sports, but something just feels off having all of the sports leagues postponed right now.

This setup would be so weird but I'll take it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I'd love to have this come to fruition, but this is a bad plan. It's not well thought through, for a multitude of reasons.

There's hundreds of other people who make a baseball game go. You're talking about literally stashing away thousands of people for months at a time, using testing and medical resources we don't have.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

The plan could include teams carrying significantly expanded rosters to account for the possibility of players testing positive despite the isolation, as well as to counteract the heat in Phoenix, which could grow problematic during the summer, sources said.

Like @East Coast Bias said, the amount of people you'd have to quarantine would be insane beyond just the players. We're talking umpires, network personnel, necessary stadium employees and basically every single person that works in all the hotels that these guys would be staying at.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Justin Turner wants MLB to go to the “shootout” after 10 innings. No thanks.

LA's Turner: End extra innings with HR derby

I'm in the minority here obviously but with the assertion that it's only (and I repeat only) for this season, I'd be fine with the idea.

If that Arizona plan did come to fruition (and it's ridiculous IMO), they'd probably need a set window for each game given that 2 and maybe 3 games would be occurring at each complex/stadium on any given day. They simply can't afford games going 12-13+ innings. Not to mention these guys will be playing probably every day in the sweltering heat there and will also be mixing in doubleheaders with limited off days. Again, as a 1 season thing given the circumstances I'm fine with it. A lot of the integrity IMO of the current season is already gone. At least the HR derby would give them time certainty to get these games finished.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That all sounds totally insane and totally dangerous. If they try to pull that shit, I will protest by not watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad