OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Time to man up and get out there. They are probably as likely to die in a car accident as they are from CoVid. The league is trying to make them safer by keeping teams in regions. It’ll be different but potentially safer.
In 1918 there were about 10 fatalities per 100k population from car accidents. In 1968 it was about 26. In 2018 it was about 11.

Per the CDC 855 men between the ages of 25-34 died of covid flu or pneumonia between 2/1 and 6/13. The census shows about 22.7 million men in this age group. This results in a fatality rate per 100k of about 10 over a full year. It's a lot closer than I would have thought.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
"Man up." Right, okay. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we'll see.

And for what has to be repeated for the trillionth time, pandemics have no equivalency to car accidents.

Car accidents are singular, isolated events that are confined to time and space. A cornavirus outbreak is not. It's great that young men aren't as likely to die from COVID-19 but they can still carry the disease and infect other people.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
And for what has to be repeated for the trillionth time, pandemics have no equivalency to car accidents.

Car accidents are singular, isolated events that are confined to time and space. A cornavirus outbreak is not. It's great that young men aren't as likely to die from COVID-19 but they can still carry the disease and infect other people.
Yeah and there's also the fact that, had we not taken the measures that we did, the numbers would be substantially worse and you WOULD be unequivocally more likely to die of COVID-19 than a car accident.

But as you said--it's a false equivalency. So I will move along. :laugh:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
MLB is in a different universe than the other pro leagues.

Not only are they eschewing the hub city models that other leagues are using, but they are contemplating having fans at games.

And one of the states who wants fan in attendance is Texas, where covid cases and hospitalizations are rising dramatically. MLB should step in and save these teams from their own stupidity, but I have no confidence in their decision-making ability.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah and there's also the fact that, had we not taken the measures that we did, the numbers would be substantially worse and you WOULD be unequivocally more likely to die of COVID-19 than a car accident.

But as you said--it's a false equivalency. So I will move along. :laugh:

It’s a stupid comparison so I’m wrong on that one. I will say the fatality rate is extremely low and I’d have to say incredibly low on someone with the lung capacity of a young professional athlete. We want to make sure these guys are safe, but i think we can be smart without acting like the idea that one player contracting it is death. We want players to wear masks in the dugout and during travel? We can do that. Can be mandatory or optional if you want but I really don’t think that should be what’s holding MLB back.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It’s a stupid comparison so I’m wrong on that one. I will say the fatality rate is extremely low and I’d have to say incredibly low on someone with the lung capacity of a young professional athlete. We want to make sure these guys are safe, but i think we can be smart without acting like the idea that one player contracting it is death. We want players to wear masks in the dugout and during travel? We can do that. Can be mandatory or optional if you want but I really don’t think that should be what’s holding MLB back.
Maybe if pitchers wore N95 goalie masks they'd be protected from covid-19 and line drives. Win win!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
MLB is in a different universe than the other pro leagues.

Not only are they eschewing the hub city models that other leagues are using, but they are contemplating having fans at games.

And one of the states who wants fan in attendance is Texas, where covid cases and hospitalizations are rising dramatically. MLB should step in and save these teams from their own stupidity, but I have no confidence in their decision-making ability.

Id start off small... maybe 20% capacity and reassess every few weeks - maybe have some type of governing board. If a city is getting beat up then maybe play the game in the other teams parks or without fans - whatever works out better financially I guess. If possible, take temperatures coming in and require masks if not at your seats.

I think it can be done, but it probably won’t be “normal“ until next season (hopefully).

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Mets going to Met.

We can only hope and pray that the rumours that the Wilpons are desperate to sell the team are true.

Never thought I'd say this but if ARod who I can't stand and JLow who also is annoying figure out a way to buy the Mets, that would be a very good thing.

I'm 10000% convinced that the Wilpons selling the Mets is the only way any of us will ever have the possibility too see and experience a parade down the Canyon of Heros again in our lifetimes....get it done!!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Eh the Mets have had their opportunities to win. Game Seven against the Cards. Seven up with 17 to go--that was a very good team. Same thing the next year. Lose to Royals when you had late leads.

The Wilpons are shitty people and shitty owners who operated like they were in Cleveland and not New York. Still, so much of the Mets' suffering is self-inflicted beyond ownership. The Mets have a competitive payroll. It's not like they spend no money. They nickel-and-dime over stupid shit then hand out bad contracts. It's not just ownership though.

IDK. Even if they're sold, they'll still be the Mets. They will find new and creative ways to break your heart. And I will still hate and love them simultaneously.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Eh the Mets have had their opportunities to win. Game Seven against the Cards. Seven up with 17 to go--that was a very good team. Same thing the next year. Lose to Royals when you had late leads.

The Wilpons are shitty people and shitty owners who operated like they were in Cleveland and not New York. Still, so much of the Mets' suffering is self-inflicted beyond ownership. The Mets have a competitive payroll. It's not like they spend no money. They nickel-and-dime over stupid shit then hand out bad contracts. It's not just ownership though.

IDK. Even if they're sold, they'll still be the Mets. They will find new and creative ways to break your heart. And I will still hate and love them simultaneously.

Agreed we are eternally cursed and yes the Mets have had some opportunities to win another WS since '86 and yes we've had some really good teams. Heck even last year I liked our team. Something tho with the Wilpons has always held us back and that is they have been more interested in their own personal financial gain versus doing whatever was necessary to get over the hump.

This "greed" on their part especially the whole Madolff shit has hurt us bigtime the past 10-12 years as tho sure we had some good teams and even made that WS appearance in '15, but due to the financial issues, we could only go for it in spurts but we couldn't go for it consistently. Dunno about you but I've always felt any Mets success the past 20 years has been in spite of what the Wilpons have done if that makes sense.

I truly do believe, once they are gone, things here in Metland will be exponentially better. I like the core of this team quite a bit actually and we have a chance to be consistently good for the next 5-7 years. The Wilpons saying bye bye will help tremendously. Crossing my fingers that they finally get out and sell the team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The travel isn't really the major issue. It's about behavior.

If the players are careful in multiple cities, they won't have an issue. If they're dumb in a hub city, they will.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Quite a development. With all the money some of these guys have made a wonder how many will do the same.

watch one of the Mets pitchers do the same.

Jeff Wilpon rushes into Fred’s office and asks “Dad, can i pitch?”

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Quite a development. With all the money some of these guys have made a wonder how many will do the same.

watch one of the Mets pitchers do the same.

Jeff Wilpon rushes into Fred’s office and asks “Dad, can i pitch?”

how happy would the wilpon's be if they didn't have to pay guys cause they choose to not play

Reactions: NYSPORTS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad