MLB The Show 21 (Xbox, PS5)

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Played against my first bunt cheeser last night. That was...not fun. Lost like 7-5. Literally all he did was bunt and steal, I switched to bunt defense and pitched out a fair amount but it is just such a dumb way to play the game. He maybe actually swung the bat like 10 times the entire time. Lame.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Played against my first bunt cheeser last night. That was...not fun. Lost like 7-5. Literally all he did was bunt and steal, I switched to bunt defense and pitched out a fair amount but it is just such a dumb way to play the game. He maybe actually swung the bat like 10 times the entire time. Lame.
easiest way to stop this is NOT to go into bunt defense. You need to position both the 2nd baseman and 3rd basemen in to the closest they can get. Doing this gives them the best shot at getting the bunt the quickest.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
First third inning boss revealed: Grady Sizemore. 97 overall milestone card for his 2008 where he had a 30/30 season

Have a feeling he might be kinda garbage because his stats against lefties were...less than impressive that season. And lefties are dominating pitching rotations rn

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021

Nothing wrong with playing small ball.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Do the Monthly Awards task go away when the next month starts? I’m torn on whether I want to spend the stubs to pick up the last couple Topps cards I need to complete the collection and get the Buxton card(I sold a few of the Topps cards early before realizing I’d need them for the Monthly’s).
All the moments will stay forever. It's separate for each month.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If they're cheesing straight up just throw fastballs high. Most of the time of they try to bunt on that its a popout

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Your third inning bosses are Grady Sizemore, Dennis Eckersley and Troy Glaus.

That Glaus card is ****ing juiced god damn

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021
Nothing wrong with bunting a few times, when you only have guys with 99 speed/stealing or close to it and do it every at bat it's pretty f***ing lame. I don't know how you could even enjoy playing the game like that.

If anything that would give me good practice on how to handle bunt defence. But yea it could get annoying as your saying.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I remember when sports video games were about playing the game, now it seems like it is playing the stock market.

You sound like an old-timer, if only you threw in an "Back in my day...."

Of course I am an old timer, (mid- 40's) and I agree with you, I pay for the online service and never play online and rarely play any of the "free" games with Gold or PS+

I skipped the show last year due to it being like every sports game and pretty much just a yearly roster update, I am enjoying it for free on Game Pass but like every other year I will start a franchise and abandon it 50-60 games in when I move on to another game

That's enough bitching by me, I gotta go yell at some kids playing too loudly in the neighborhood

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Finally bumped up hitting to hall of fame. Managed to get 5 and 6 hits in conquest against the Padres but of course I get walked off both times by Machado. My sweet spot has been down in the zone. Park PCI and it lets me watch the bottom of the zone for junk and I seem to go better low to high on reacting to pitches.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm like 95 percent sure the motion for pinpoint sinkers/forkballs is broken on Xbox. I can do most other motions totally fine but I haven't done the splitter motion perfectly once.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I remember when sports video games were about playing the game, now it seems like it is playing the stock market.

I know it makes me sound like an butter old man yelling at clouds, but my playtime in sports games has gone down about 10000% since those card modes took over and I'm still bitter about it. From a business standpoint I get not catering to the customers that refuse to partake in microtransactions, but from where I'm standing it seems like the $60 I used to pay annually would be better than the collective $0 I've spent on the major sports games the past couple years :dunno: Then again it's not like they can't make that up easily by a single person with an addictive personality in, like, 15 minutes.

To be fair, I would likely be playing The Show 21 franchise mode if I'd even seen a PS5 or Series X with my own eyes by now, but that hasn't happened and that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon. Instead I'm feeding the itch by customizing an entire world in Out of the Park.

We've gone from me buying a PS3 explicitly for the MLB: The Show games to me not buying a licensed console sports game in about 3 years now, despite me buying more games than ever.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You know, if it wasn't for ****ing Trout I'd be ready to finish the live series collection.

I need roughly 500k more stubs to finish it and he takes up about 90 percent of said 500k lmao

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Is this game ever going to get an online franchise? Or even an online multiplayer mode similar to eashl?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Is this game ever going to get an online franchise? Or even an online multiplayer mode similar to eashl?
Can pretty much guarantee you won’t see an EASHL type mode for quite a while. They servers are pretty unstable in 1V1 environments, I can’t imagine they’d have the capacity to do 9v9 or anything close to it.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Can pretty much guarantee you won’t see an EASHL type mode for quite a while. They servers are pretty unstable in 1V1 environments, I can’t imagine they’d have the capacity to do 9v9 or anything close to it.

That's too bad. I could see that mode being quite a bit of fun.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Man I can get so hot and cold hitting.

Did the east affinity conquest. Put up 7 runs in an inning on hall of fame, 2 games later on veteran I had to go to 6 innings to score one f***ing run lol.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That's too bad. I could see that mode being quite a bit of fun.
I disagree tbh. I would find it very boring just waiting around doing nothing. Its not like other sports games where you can always do something. In baseball you can go the whole game without having to do anything on defense. If you aren't pitching, you are just waiting for something to happen. Not to mention waiting for your turn to bat. To each their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad