MLB: New PBA Proposal would Eliminate 25% of Minor League Baseball in 2021

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
If MLB is in Nashville, New Orleans will likely take Nashville's place in AAA (ideally as part of a new league, the Heartland League, that combines the PCL's American Conference teams with the IL's West Division teams).
The facilities in New Orleans are below average for the old PBA which has been unchanged since 1992.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Well, I could see the Brewers purchasing the Sounds franchise to prepare it for a move to New Orleans when the Nashville MLB team begins play.

In my revamped AAA, the Brewers top farm club would be the relocated Sounds franchise that would now play in New Orleans, possibly reviving the Baby Cakes name.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

I got a feeling that, besides the addition of testing rules, these are the leagues that MLB is going to suggest eliminated teams go to. Though, independent baseball is a finicky business and a lot of teams that will lose affiliation survive thanks to affiliation. This is especially true when it comes to the Pioneer League that, geographically, doesn't even fit with the American Association, and that league at one point had Winnipeg play a team from Laredo, Texas.

On a side note, the Frontier League did finally add Ottawa as an expansion team, but that leaves them at an uneven 15, and rather than bring in a travelling team nobody wants to see, the league itself could either try for another independent market or wait for this week's fallout once Major League Baseball officially takes over the minors to begin recruitment.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I got a feeling that, besides the addition of testing rules, these are the leagues that MLB is going to suggest eliminated teams go to. Though, independent baseball is a finicky business and a lot of teams that will lose affiliation survive thanks to affiliation. This is especially true when it comes to the Pioneer League that, geographically, doesn't even fit with the American Association, and that league at one point had Winnipeg play a team from Laredo, Texas.

On a side note, the Frontier League did finally add Ottawa as an expansion team, but that leaves them at an uneven 15, and rather than bring in a travelling team nobody wants to see, the league itself could either try for another independent market or wait for this week's fallout once Major League Baseball officially takes over the minors to begin recruitment.
Whenever they announce the final list it certainly will be an interesting news day for fans of sports business. One change was Already announced on Friday MLB To Begin Official Minor League Baseball Changes With Appalachian League At Worst Possible Time

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The mayors in Appalachian League cities could pass laws prohibiting non-professional baseball games from being played in their parks to get the MLB to back down on its plan to contract the minor leagues.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The mayors in Appalachian League cities could pass laws prohibiting non-professional baseball games from being played in their parks to get the MLB to back down on its plan to contract the minor leagues.
Sounds to me like that would result in no baseball in those parks. I don't think MLB is that invested in these summer college leagues. They are just doing it as a way of throwing a bone to those cities that are losing their minor league team. If those cities say they don't want it, they will likely get nothing from MLB. I'll admit I could be wrong, I don't follow it that closely.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Sounds to me like that would result in no baseball in those parks. I don't think MLB is that invested in these summer college leagues. They are just doing it as a way of throwing a bone to those cities that are losing their minor league team. If those cities say they don't want it, they will likely get nothing from MLB. I'll admit I could be wrong, I don't follow it that closely.
After the agreement expired last month MLB is under no legal obligation to provide anything to minor league team's.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The agreement should have been extended one year due to the pandemic. It would have given more time for the minor leagues to fight against these wholesale changes. After all, there have been things like the Las Vegas Raiders having their lease on Allegiant Stadium extended one year because fans weren't allowed to attend games this year.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
After the agreement expired last month MLB is under no legal obligation to provide anything to minor league team's.

That's the gist of it, yeah.

It's a shame, really, but Major League Baseball is now calling the shots, which is what they have wanted for decades, and in their opinion, those places they are cutting off don't deserve minor league baseball as they don't have the revenue or the population to support anything worth a damn.

And the places that will still have minor league baseball will now have to sink or swim based on the interest from the local community, which means on the AAA level at least, places like Gwinnett and Syracuse are in big, big trouble.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
That's the gist of it, yeah.

It's a shame, really, but Major League Baseball is now calling the shots, which is what they have wanted for decades, and in their opinion, those places they are cutting off don't deserve minor league baseball as they don't have the revenue or the population to support anything worth a damn.

And the places that will still have minor league baseball will now have to sink or swim based on the interest from the local community, which means on the AAA level at least, places like Gwinnett and Syracuse are in big, big trouble.
There where a lot of legitimately terrible facilities that met minor league standards because they have been unchanged since 1992.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
There where a lot of legitimately terrible facilities that met minor league standards because they have been unchanged since 1992.

Don't get me wrong, there are places that absolutely should get with the times, but finances can be a pain to get ahold of for some. I'm not sympathizing with all; I still argue that teams like the Florida Fire Frogs should die off.

Anyway, once the World Series is done and over with, we should finally get the information on the new minors within a month as MLB can prioritize on it.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The American Association lost the Texas AirHogs this weekend. They want to add another Texas team, but I think they probably should look at minor league displacement first before trying to get back into one of the old North American League markets.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
World Series is over, so now it's time for MLB to begin it's big plans at long last.
I have a feeling they will announce something the day after the world series or during the election day news cycle. They want to minimize the visibility of all the local news articles from the city's that are being kicked out of the club.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
MLB just wants to lose their anti-trust exemption, don't they?

The last time it was seriously threatened, it got them sued when the Seattle Pilots left town after only one year, because rather than starting expansion teams in 1971, they had to move it up by two years.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
MLB just wants to lose their anti-trust exemption, don't they?

The last time it was seriously threatened, it got them sued when the Seattle Pilots left town after only one year, because rather than starting expansion teams in 1971, they had to move it up by two years.
There is no justification for MLB to loose their antitrust exemption on this issue since they are not forcing teams to fold and there is no binding contract requiring mlb to send players to milb clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad