MLB: New PBA Proposal would Eliminate 25% of Minor League Baseball in 2021

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Glad to see that with all the craziness in the world today, I can always rely on you replying to a "wouldn't this concept be better?"post with a "That is not happening in real life" response, as if this board exists solely to fact check.
your post is attacking affiliates who aren't a part of the proposed reduction....which is why it's unrealistic..... nobody is mentioning eliminating Hartford or Richmond.....just because it's a Western based franchise

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
your post is attacking affiliates who aren't a part of the proposed reduction....which is why it's unrealistic..... nobody is mentioning eliminating Hartford or Richmond.....just because it's a Western based franchise
He isn’t saying that at all. Actually Hartford and Richmond are good choices to move up to Triple A. Because of Hartford’s above Average ballpark and the need for a closer affiliate for Washington.

Reactions: oknazevad

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
He isn’t saying that at all. Actually Hartford and Richmond are good choices to move up to Triple A. Because of Hartford’s above Average ballpark and the need for a closer affiliate for Washington.
no they're not.... Harrisburg is closer to DC and already has the Nationals affiliation, Centrum.....Baseball was gone in CT had Hartford not replaced New Britain... AAA has and isn't what it once was..... more and more are using AA for rehab assignments, no matter the affiliation

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I'm not attacking any franchise at all. I'm saying that regardless of the quality of a franchise (whether it be Richmond or Hartford or wherever), everyone is better off if their affiliates are more regionally based.

A great minor league franchise is going to be a great minor league franchise regardless of whom they are affiliated with (as long as it's someone in the majors). It makes no logistical sense to have guys who could be called up to have to fly cross country unless schedule dictates it.

Rajai Davis took an Uber from AAA to MLB last season, and that should be more possible for more affiliates.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm not attacking any franchise at all. I'm saying that regardless of the quality of a franchise (whether it be Richmond or Hartford or wherever), everyone is better off if their affiliates are more regionally based.

A great minor league franchise is going to be a great minor league franchise regardless of whom they are affiliated with (as long as it's someone in the majors). It makes no logistical sense to have guys who could be called up to have to fly cross country unless schedule dictates it.

Rajai Davis took an Uber from AAA to MLB last season, and that should be more possible for more affiliates.
regionally based affiliations are not always possible, Kev...... if that was the case what happened to the midwest markets in PRO hockey..... why are the Blues in Springfield, MA...... AND why is an eastern-based franchise like Carolina CONSIDERING leaving an in-state affiliate like Charlotte for Rosemont, IL

KevFu

May 22, 2009
regionally based affiliations are not always possible, Kev...... if that was the case what happened to the midwest markets in PRO hockey..... why are the Blues in Springfield, MA...... AND why is an eastern-based franchise like Carolina CONSIDERING leaving an in-state affiliate like Charlotte for Rosemont, IL

Well, Carolina is looking to move on from Charlotte because they don't get along with the people running Charlotte. Relations have been strained between the two.... AND Chicago is offering tje Canes more money.

Regional affiliations aren't always possible, but it can be better than having the Washington Nationals Triple A affiliate in Fresno, California. Just like how Dallas, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Edmonton, Calgary and Arizona moved their AHL teams to the west.

There's obviously no perfect way to run a massive system like minor league/major league baseball affiliations. The point it that it can be done in a far more efficient manner instead of a sprawling, chaotic mess it's evolved into since 1964 (the last time there was any reorganization whatsoever).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Well, Carolina is looking to move on from Charlotte because they don't get along with the people running Charlotte. Relations have been strained between the two.... AND Chicago is offering tje Canes more money.

Regional affiliations aren't always possible, but it can be better than having the Washington Nationals Triple A affiliate in Fresno, California. Just like how Dallas, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Edmonton, Calgary and Arizona moved their AHL teams to the west.

There's obviously no perfect way to run a massive system like minor league/major league baseball affiliations. The point it that it can be done in a far more efficient manner instead of a sprawling, chaotic mess it's evolved into since 1964 (the last time there was any reorganization whatsoever).
that's not a multi-year deal, though.... and there's no support to realign Richmond back to a AAA market.... Kev it was either take a AA team or no team at all..... Richmond still hasn't found a solution to bring pro hockey back to Henrico County either it didn't work for any of the other franchises, even a reboot of the famed Renegades went nowhere.....

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

that's not a multi-year deal, though.... and there's no support to realign Richmond back to a AAA market.... Kev it was either take a AA team or no team at all..... Richmond still hasn't found a solution to bring pro hockey back to Henrico County either it didn't work for any of the other franchises, even a reboot of the famed Renegades went nowhere.....
All the information that is out there pretty much says that mlb doesn’t care about the current designations in milb or the history of milb teams.They want the new alignment to be the Best 4 milb teams for the needs of the 30 mlb clubs.

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009

I don't know what this is in reference to?

You seem to be arguing with me on details of some plan I didn't post. I'm citing examples of how MiLB is a chaotic unorganized mess than needs organization. That's it. You want to discuss/pick apart HOW to reorganize it, I'm totally on board. Just ask me what I'd do.

But I'm not sure why you're arguing with me about Richmond's classification level when all I've said is that it "having no AA team West of Texas is crazy because it leads to things like San Francisco having an AA affiliate in Richmond."

The city of Richmond has a AA team because that's what they could get. That's fine.
No one is saying the Flying Squirrels shouldn't exist, just that SF should have a AA team in the West.

All the information that is out there pretty much says that mlb doesn’t care about the current designations in milb or the history of milb teams.They want the new alignment to be the Best 4 milb teams for the needs of the 30 mlb clubs.

This is almost exactly it. The minors haven't been reorganized in 56 years.

Personally, I think what's leaked of their plan is way too focused on facilities and not smart organization. AND I think the time to start this plan isn't NOW, but when MLB expands.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I don't know what this is in reference to?

You seem to be arguing with me on details of some plan I didn't post. I'm citing examples of how MiLB is a chaotic unorganized mess than needs organization. That's it. You want to discuss/pick apart HOW to reorganize it, I'm totally on board. Just ask me what I'd do.

But I'm not sure why you're arguing with me about Richmond's classification level when all I've said is that it "having no AA team West of Texas is crazy because it leads to things like San Francisco having an AA affiliate in Richmond."

The city of Richmond has a AA team because that's what they could get. That's fine.
No one is saying the Flying Squirrels shouldn't exist, just that SF should have a AA team in the West.

This is almost exactly it. The minors haven't been reorganized in 56 years.

Personally, I think what's leaked of their plan is way too focused on facilities and not smart organization. AND I think the time to start this plan isn't NOW, but when MLB expands.
Hutch i am pretty sure is still caught up on the fact Richmond Flying Squirrels are an AA franchise and they will always play in the eastern league unless the licence is relocated to another city which is the way milb is has always operated. The whole point of this proposal is to change that so a team like Washington can have closer affiliates with longer term agreements and not have to worry about their prospects being a 5 hour plane ride away. If that means Richmond or Harrisburg will take the spot of a triple a team mlb is going to make that happen.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hutch i am pretty sure is still caught up on the fact Richmond Flying Squirrels are an AA franchise and they will always play in the eastern league unless the licence is relocated to another city which is the way milb is has always operated. The whole point of this proposal is to change that so a team like Washington can have closer affiliates with longer term agreements and not have to worry about their prospects being a 5 hour plane ride away. If that means Richmond or Harrisburg will take the spot of a triple a team mlb is going to make that happen.
it'll never happen...just because you post it, Centrum, doesn't mean everyone buys your idiocy

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
it'll never happen...just because you post it, Centrum, doesn't mean everyone buys your idiocy
If you read my post i was actually trying to reasonably justify your thought process when it came to what you posted. I guess i was to nice about it.

KevFu

May 22, 2009

I don't understand why your number one concern is confirming the likelihood of things actual happening, like you're getting an old school journalist double-confirmation of info from two sources, and not talking about "that's a good idea" or "that's a bad idea."

We're talking big picture, conceptual stuff. The Giants affiliating with Richmond is AN EXAMPLE of a problem. Richmond having a AA team isn't the problem. If the plan has Richmond moving up/down a level or staying in AA hasn't been revealed as of yet.

I would agree that Richmond won't go up a level without a new stadium in the near future. But you can't realign all of minor league baseball with he expectation of permanence because minor league teams are going to move around, A LOT, like they always have.

20 years ago, these cities had Triple A teams: Edmonton, Tucson, Richmond, Pawtucket, Colorado Springs, Calgary, New Orleans, Ottawa. Now they don't.
40 years ago: Wichita, Evansville, Denver, Ogden, Portland, Hawaii, Phoenix, Spokane, Springfield, Charleston. (New Orleans moved to Wichita this off-season, so they got their team back).

This is about putting a structure in place so MLB teams don't end up with their AAA guys 2000 miles away when they need someone in a hurry. It's about making leagues be more compact for travel (a 20-team PCL stretching from Tacoma to Nashville is bonkers).

But we're not being reporters on this stuff. We're commenting about what we think should happen.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't understand why your number one concern is confirming the likelihood of things actual happening, like you're getting an old school journalist double-confirmation of info from two sources, and not talking about "that's a good idea" or "that's a bad idea."

We're talking big picture, conceptual stuff. The Giants affiliating with Richmond is AN EXAMPLE of a problem. Richmond having a AA team isn't the problem. If the plan has Richmond moving up/down a level or staying in AA hasn't been revealed as of yet.

I would agree that Richmond won't go up a level without a new stadium in the near future. But you can't realign all of minor league baseball with he expectation of permanence because minor league teams are going to move around, A LOT, like they always have.

20 years ago, these cities had Triple A teams: Edmonton, Tucson, Richmond, Pawtucket, Colorado Springs, Calgary, New Orleans, Ottawa. Now they don't.
40 years ago: Wichita, Evansville, Denver, Ogden, Portland, Hawaii, Phoenix, Spokane, Springfield, Charleston. (New Orleans moved to Wichita this off-season, so they got their team back).

This is about putting a structure in place so MLB teams don't end up with their AAA guys 2000 miles away when they need someone in a hurry. It's about making leagues be more compact for travel (a 20-team PCL stretching from Tacoma to Nashville is bonkers).

But we're not being reporters on this stuff. We're commenting about what we think should happen.
Triple A Baseball isn't the rehab players go for anymore.....it's gone to AA, Kev.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Triple A Baseball isn't the rehab players go for anymore.....it's gone to AA, Kev.

No, Triple A is way more "taxi-squad" now, with the prospects more at AA.

Guys who come up from AA to MLB are the young kids, ready to blossom.
The guys you stash on the roster in case there's injuries, older veterans who you call up for a couple days and then have to release because they can't go back down again, those guys are in AAA.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

The guys you stash on the roster in case there's injuries, older veterans who you call up for a couple days and then have to release because they can't go back down again, those guys are in AAA.
The distribution of players is probably going to change with less affiliates and the remaining ones aligned closer to their parent club.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

nope...

more major league players are rehabbing at Double A, then Triple A... Kev.... that adage has changed depending on the organization

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
nope...

more major league players are rehabbing at Double A, then Triple A... Kev.... that adage has changed depending on the organization

Rehabbing takes place in a lot of different places. If there's an affiliate close to the major league team and the rehab is relatively short, they'll send them there. If they have a West Coast affiliate and the player is likely to be back, they'll send them there.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

KevFu

May 22, 2009
nope...

My bad, on not seeing the "rehab players" part of your comment.

Rehab assignments are done based on case-by-case basis, and what makes sense for the player/team. If a guy is close to being healthy and ready to return to his previous role, they'll send him to the closest affiliate to simply play once and then be recalled.

When I was in California, there were a ton of MLB rehab assignments to the A+ Cal League for seven of the eight teams, because they were the closest team for everyone but Seattle's guys (who go to Tacoma). The Mets use Brooklyn.

When a player has been out a LONG time and is doing a lengthy rehab stint, they'll start in Single A and then go to AAA for a few games, then get recalled.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My bad, on not seeing the "rehab players" part of your comment.

Rehab assignments are done based on case-by-case basis, and what makes sense for the player/team. If a guy is close to being healthy and ready to return to his previous role, they'll send him to the closest affiliate to simply play once and then be recalled.

When I was in California, there were a ton of MLB rehab assignments to the A+ Cal League for seven of the eight teams, because they were the closest team for everyone but Seattle's guys (who go to Tacoma). The Mets use Brooklyn.

When a player has been out a LONG time and is doing a lengthy rehab stint, they'll start in Single A and then go to AAA for a few games, then get recalled.
not necessarily.... I've seen more rehab players go the same route as the prospect angle, Kev....and those teams advertise it heavily.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad