GDT: R2G1 - Avalanche @ Stars - 7:30PM - Nate Wick

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
so why didn't he do it every game then?

@MacKaRant
He did. In 22mph bursts he's in the 99th percentile (while getting 3rd line minutes). He's been clocked at nearly 24mph too. His per rate is 2nd only to MacK in the whole league. The only player he is slower than on the Avs is MacK. There are MANY things that donkey is, slow is certainly not one of them.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
He did. In 22mph bursts he's in the 99th percentile (while getting 3rd line minutes). He's been clocked at nearly 24mph too. His per rate is 2nd only to MacK in the whole league. The only player he is slower than on the Avs is MacK. There are MANY things that donkey is, slow is certainly not one of them.
he didn't burn a guy like that all season dude. Just admit it Miro was gassed from playing 29 mins and 27+ the last 7 games. It's okay that you were wrong but the saving face is just embarrassing yourself now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
so why didn't he do it every game then?

Dude should pot 30+ every year if it's that easy...

@MacKaRant
Being able to skate fast in a straight line doesn't really give you a gigantic advantage. If so then Alex Newhook would be a star by now. Edgework and acceleration, the ability to create space in short bursts, as well as being able to maneuver in those tight spaces, is far more effective.

It's also an IQ thing. For a guy who moves fast, Wood chases the play a lot. You also have to know when to jump. Not to be a broken record here but I've brought up Tyler Toffoli's breakaway ability a LOT on here despite being slow AF on skates. But he knows really well how to sneak behind opposing defenses.

But yes, last night, everything fell in place. Miles started cutting up the ice at the perfect time and Cogs somehow got him the puck with a perfect outlet pass that looked like it deflected off at least one player, and somehow he was able to corral it at full stride AND pull it back for a perfect deke.

And as others have posted here, 28 doesn't have the softest of hands. Michael Grabner made a living off breakaway goals, especially on the PK, but that dude had hands of stone. A lot of his breakaways ended with a save or missed net. But he got so many of them that he capitalized on enough of them.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Ya know what guys you’re right I’m wrong. Miro routinely breaks up McDavid and MacKinnon rushes but got bested by miles wood after logging the most TOI of any player last night just because. Tip your cap we just signed a future hall of famer to a 6x2.5 contract ppl.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ya know what guys you’re right I’m wrong. Miro routinely breaks up McDavid and MacKinnon rushes but got bested by miles wood after logging the most TOI of any player last night just because. Tip your cap we just signed a future hall of famer to a 6x2.5 contract ppl.
Don't know why you're getting all pissy about it. Maybe Miro was tired, I don't know. Either way it all worked out.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Even if it was just his scoring touch you should be able to show me at least once per game when miles wood blows by an elite skating d man. Highly doubt he had 99th percentile amount of breakaways this year

Don't know why you're getting all pissy about it. Maybe Miro was tired, I don't know. Either way it all worked out.
It’s because people around here think their word is gospel and don’t allow others to voice an opinion even when they’re proven correct

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even if it was just his scoring touch you should be able to show me at least once per game when miles wood blows by an elite skating d man. Highly doubt he had 99th percentile amount of breakaways this year

I mean, Cale Makar has gotten burned plenty of times, one big reason even the best skating defensemen get burned is because they have to transition from backward to forward skating and sometimes they're way too late in doing so. That kinda happened last night too.

And I don't understand why you're equating 99th percentile speed with 99th percentile breakaways. It doesn't work that way.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017

It’s because people around here think their word is gospel and don’t allow others to voice an opinion even when they’re proven correct

Lol, who is stopping you from voicing your opinion?

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Wood is on offense what Girard is to defense: Great speed, great skater, not always the best decisions with the puck and a lack of finish. Both solid NHL players. Wood used his always solid speed in OT and did what many can't do: He got a step on Miro. And he finished! Which has been rare but I don't think the Avs signed him to rack up points.

Reactions: MacKaRant

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
HF hitler and his Nazis

Anyway I got 3 to 6 more games to support my argument game 1 goes to chiarelli in my books
1715197137778.jpeg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Am I f*** figuring out why this started but, you know, we won and Wood did a cool thing.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
Is that Donovan? I vaguely remember him but don't remember well enough to know how this fits. I'm sure some nerds here do though

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Is that Donovan? I vaguely remember him but don't remember well enough to know how this fits. I'm sure some nerds here do though
Sure was. Couldn't even spell his first name right. WTF was that?

Anyways - if speed was the only factor in scoring 40+ goals, Rico Fata would have been a hall-of-famer.

Reactions: wayninja

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad