Who will be better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
One players team has scored 53 more goals, and also has the much better supporting cast?

Hmmm interesting

Boeser gets more than a minute extra ice time per game.

Marner played all last year and half of this year with Bozak and JVR... No better than Boeser’s support (Horvat and Baertschi)

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
At this point Marner is more proven due to him putting up two productive seasons, but Boeser has been similar with less support this season.

I’ve said this before it’s close but I would lean towards Boeser because of goal his scoring abilities.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Boeser pace over 77 games this year: 68 points

Marner actual stats after 77 games: 67 points
While putting up 61 points last season.
That isn’t accurate, though. Marner was stuck on the fourth line for some absurd reason for the first half of the season. Once given opportunities and minutes equivalent to Boeser’s, he has blown him out of the water - seriously, no comparison at all - in every single metric.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That isn’t accurate, though. Marner was stuck on the fourth line for some absurd reason for the first half of the season. Once given opportunities and minutes equivalent to Boeser’s, he has blown him out of the water - seriously, no comparison at all - in every single metric.
Show us.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
That fourth line stuff was insanely overblown:

Even Strength Line Combinations

Reactions: Kelly

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Boeser also faced off against top competition in the means of facing off daily against top pairing D, while Marner gets secondary defenders, so there's that.
Boeser also was shuffled through different lines, and had a waiver fodder C in Gagner and was producing, so there's that too
Boeser around the same games played as Marner was also outproducing him by a good margin facing tougher competition with less offensive support, so there's that again.

Ultimately the two players are close. Anyone is delusional to think otherwise, about as delusional and bias as expecting the Canuck forward is going to all of a sudden "regress" or is due to "regress".

At this point I'm going with Boeser going forward and in the future given how damn impressive he has been.

Reactions: mouz135 and Index

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Boeser also faced off against top competition in the means of facing off daily against top pairing D, while Marner gets secondary defenders, so there's that.
Boeser also was shuffled through different lines, and had a waiver fodder C in Gagner and was producing, so there's that too
Boeser around the same games played as Marner was also outproducing him by a good margin facing tougher competition with less offensive support, so there's that again.

Ultimately the two players are close. Anyone is delusional to think otherwise. At this point I'm going with Boeser going forward and in the future given that he's been simply more impressive. Although Marner's current streak is pretty solid too.

For ~39% of the season (according to the chart above your post), Marner has player on Kadri's line which is the shutdown line matching up against the oppositions top line in mainly a defensive role. So maybe not top pairing D, but definitely not easier matchups that Boeser.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Read the post again properly.

For ~39% of the season (according to the chart above your post), Marner has player on Kadri's line which is the shutdown line matching up against the oppositions top line in mainly a defensive role. So maybe not top pairing D, but definitely not easier matchups that Boeser.

He also has a selke calibre forward, and an extremely good defensive forward to help him out, while Boeser doesn't have that luxury. He's the main offensive threat aside from Horvat (who's more of a decent 1B or great 2c than a top line center).

Last edited:

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017

No, he’s right about the quality of competition. Boeser faced #1 and 2 D while Marner faces #2 and 3 D primarily. The forwards are even more in favour of Boeser

Reactions: Index

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Reactions: TMLeafs17

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Marner for sure. Brock had a heck of a year though, showed some real character.

That said, he's due for some regression.
How many times does Brock Boeser have to prove you wrong before you just give it a rest?

Weren’t you the same poster blabbering about how the Larsson/Hall trade was so awful for the the Devils?

Maybe it’s time to stop evaluating ice hockey players.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
How many times does Brock Boeser have to prove you wrong before you just give it a rest?

Weren’t you the same poster blabbering about how the Larsson/Hall trade was so awful for the the Devils?

Maybe it’s time to stop evaluating ice hockey players.

Uh......Boeser's played a grand total of 60 games in his career. He hasn't had ANY time to prove anyone right or wrong. Let's see him get through a season before we claim that he's "proven someone wrong", yeah?

Fact is, his shooting percentage this year was 16.2%. That is LIKELY to fall back down to league average. Even Ovechkin has only shot 13.6% this year.

That's hardly a slight. It's just stating facts.

Don't be so sensitive, just because the Leaf player wins the comparison over your guy. :)

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
best prospect outside of NHL. top 5 prospect pool right now. another 2 top 5 draft picks next 2 years. Add all of that to Boeser and Horvat. GG

1. I wasn't aware that the Draft Lottery was already held, Congrats to the Canucks for getting 1st overall.
  2. You are assuming all prospects work out? Also outside of EP they do not currently have any other blue chip prospects (Goalies are so hard to gauge that I almost never consider any of them blue chip status although Demko looks really good).
  3. You have no way of knowing if they pick Top 5 in either draft as there is a Lottery.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Uh......Boeser's played a grand total of 60 games in his career. He hasn't had ANY time to prove anyone right or wrong. Let's see him get through a season before we claim that he's "proven someone wrong", yeah?

Fact is, his shooting percentage this year was 16.2%. That is LIKELY to fall back down to league average. Even Ovechkin has only shot 13.6% this year.

That's hardly a slight. It's just stating facts.

Don't be so sensitive, just because the Leaf player wins the comparison over your guy. :)

Ovechkin is a volume shooter and Boeser is not. In terms of style of shooting Boeser is closer to Laine or Stamkos than he is to Ovechkin.

I'm not suggesting he's a lock to fluctuate around his current SH%, but he's not a lock to completely drop like a lot of people seem to think.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Ovechkin is a volume shooter and Boeser is not. In terms of style of shooting Boeser is closer to Laine or Stamkos than he is to Ovechkin.

The point is........16+% is not sustainable. 12-13% is WAY closer to the league average. And players, even if they have one super hot year scoring goals, will most likely settle down to the average %.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
The point is........16+% is not sustainable. 12-13% is WAY closer to the league average. And players, even if they have one super hot year scoring goals, will most likely settle down to the average %.
Yup Matthews is shooting 17,4% this year. He will probably regress next year right to 12% and score arround 30-35 goals right?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yup Matthews is shooting 17,4% this year. He will probably regress next year right to 12% and score arround 30-35 goals right?

Yes, probably. 30-35 goals a year from Matthews would be perfect. I'm not foolish enough to expect 40-50 goals, each and every year.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Yes, probably. 30-35 goals a year from Matthews would be perfect. I'm not foolish enough to expect 40-50 goals, each and every year.
I don't know ton of leaf fans told me that he will score 45-50 next year lol. His shot per game is wayy down from last year, if he don't find a wayy to shoot more i don't know how 40+ is realistic

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't know ton of leaf fans told me that he will score 45-50 next year lol. His shot per game is wayy down from last year, if he don't find a wayy to shoot more i don't know how 40+ is realistic

Given how few NHLers score 40 or more goals a year nowadays, it IS unrealistic to expect it. Matthews might have a few more 40 goal seasons in him. But more likely, is that he'll have a ton of 30-35 goal seasons.

40+ will be the exception, not the norm.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Tossup:
Boeser will be the better goal scorer AINEC
Marner will be the better playmaker AINEC

I can see Boeser hitting 50 a few times and maybe even 60 once.

I can see Marner putting up 30-50 most years and maybe even 35-65 once or a few times.

Both great players, we will have to see how they develop, right now I would give a slight nod to Mitch for being in the NHL before Brock.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto

If you look at his shot location and shot distance you wouldn't be surprised by his high shooting%.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Look at his shooting locations ;)

He’s sh% likely will regress a bit but he has high shot generation from high danger areas. That + his amazing shot is a formula that will keep his goal scoring well above 40 for most years in his prime

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
  1. I wasn't aware that the Draft Lottery was already held, Congrats to the Canucks for getting 1st overall.
  2. You are assuming all prospects work out? Also outside of EP they do not currently have any other blue chip prospects (Goalies are so hard to gauge that I almost never consider any of them blue chip status although Demko looks really good).
  3. You have no way of knowing if they pick Top 5 in either draft as there is a Lottery.
1. Wrong
2. Wrong
3. Wrong

SAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad