Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Boeser pace over 77 games this year: 68 points

Marner actual stats after 77 games: 67 points
While putting up 61 points last season.
While both players have had impressive rookie seasons you also have to factor in their respective clubs. T.O albeit, last year was a playoff bubble team was still by far much better than VAN last, or this year. Who are once again looking at another bottom-3 NHL finish.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
While both players have had impressive rookie seasons you also have to factor in their respective clubs. T.O albeit, last year was a playoff bubble team was still by far much better than VAN last, or this year. Who are once again looking at another bottom-3 NHL finish.

I’ve already covered the amount of support each player gets and pretty comparable.

Horvat
Baertschi
vs
Marleau
Kadri

And Marner is the sole creator of offence on that line.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Marner also has two 50 point dmen on his team.
You mean overrated and not very good Morgan Rielly? Now he gets credit?
There are lots of very high scoring players on bad teams. It's a terrible excuse. Being on a better team means it's much tougher to get TOI to produce.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You mean overrated and not very good Morgan Rielly? Now he gets credit?
There are lots of very high scoring players on bad teams. It's a terrible excuse. Being on a better team means it's much tougher to get TOI to produce.

It's actually a valid reason. I've seen this said a number of time and it many times, doesn't hold water. Being on a good team is probably more important than getting a bit more TOI on a bad team. Of course, no two situations are the same:

Case in point: Eric Staal. Was on a terrible team for years and his last 3 seasons in Carolina:
21G, 61P: 20:17 TOI/GP
23G, 54P: 18:40 TOI/GP
10G, 33P (in 63GP): 19:17 TOI/GP
Goes to a MUCH better, more talented team and the first season and while his TOI reduced a little, he's still getting 18+ min/ Game and his production jumped immensely.
28G, 65P: 18:36 TOI/GP
40G, 74P: 17:55 TOI/GP

Why? Because he plays with better players, on a much better team that plays a more up and down style of play.

Case in point #2: Jordan Staal. Was on a Very good - Great team in Pittsburgh.
08/09-11/12: Jordan averaged .29 G/GP and .66 P/GP and averaged 14:38 ES+2:14 PP TOI/GP
12/13-15/16: Jordan averaged .20 G/GP and .55 P/GP and averaged 15:14 ES+2:04 PP TOI/GP

He got just a little bit more ES TOI (but less PP) and his production dropped significantly.

Jussi Jokinen is another example in Carolina. Drouin going from TB to MTL, etc...

Again, not every situation is the same, but the quality of a team a guy plays on and the style of play most certainly has a BIG impact on a players production.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
too small of a sample size for boeser. I dont see how you take him over marner at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->