Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't think he'll ever live up to the contract and as such, could be roasted here

I can honestly imagine Marner not being here to finish his contract. Sure, he can score 100 points every year and help us win a cup, in which case he’s earned his contract.

But if he gets 80 points here, and 75 points there, and Leafs don’t win the cup in the next few years, then fans will truly turn on him, and then he will be unhappy with the fans turning on him, and both sides will agree it’s best for all parties to move on. And just like that, Marner wrote his ticket out of his hometown.

Classic case of “be careful what you wish for.”

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Him and rielly have both been truly awful. Only difference is rielly is making less than half marner is making and not being overpaid by two mill.

I think and assume they both will wake up but things could get really ugly for marner if not.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Him and rielly have both been truly awful. Only difference is rielly is making less than half marner is making and not being overpaid by two mill.

I think and assume they both will wake up but things could get really ugly for marner if not.

You mean for now? Cause his next contract won't be no half....

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Marner is overpaid, he cares more about money than being on a good team and winning a championship. Say what you will but that’s a very unlikabke trait, unfortunately he’s not the only one on the team with that trait.

I think you should probably give him at least a few months before writing off his entire character and competency.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He's not earning the overpayment he held out for. Holding him to account for his poor performance thus far, is not unreasonable.

Is he waiting a few months to get paid too?

No, but his contract was for 6 years, not for the last 11 games. Seems crazy that your whole fanbase hates him so much all of a sudden. He's the type of player who can bounce back and still hit 100+ pts, in my opinion.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No, but his contract was for 6 years, not for the last 11 games. Seems crazy that your whole fanbase hates him so much all of a sudden. He's the type of player who can bounce back and still hit 100+ pts, in my opinion.
He needs to bounce back, and soon!

The fan base wants our Leafs to achieve the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup. That extra $2.0M he is getting paid would have allowed Dubas to bring in another player to help out. A better backup goalie is still needed.

So, if you want to be highly paid, you better live up to those demands and get right to proving your worth. Thus far, he hasn't shown he is worth his ELC money never mind his huge new pay package.

Same can be said about Nylander and also Matthews.

JMHO.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner is overpaid, he cares more about money than being on a good team and winning a championship. Say what you will but that’s a very unlikabke trait, unfortunately he’s not the only one on the team with that trait.
Hockey players have a 3-4 year shelf life on average in NHL unless contracted. And the contract determines your place on team. Marner is 3rd best guy on team and he is paid as 3rd best guy on team. The Leafs CAP structure is high because their cash flow is even higher. The leafs could double/triple hockey comp and have no issues with payroll. The issue is only the NHL CAP. But rest of league could not compete with Leafs for better guys in a free market unless you have an owner that does not care about losses as it is a tax write-off. So there has to be some kinda better solution like they have in baseball with the tax. But to get pissed off at any 1 player who is trying to get his piece of pie is tough. Anyone in Mitch's shoes would want the most they could get. This was a 6-7 day a week job for Marner's for 15 years to get to this point to bank. Try doing anything at the highest level of your field for 15 years day in day out to get a sniff at banking. Think of the young audit kid at PwC gets paid nothing to little and then a decision is made on partnership after working 6-7 days per week for 10-15 years. He may bank or he may be one of the dozens who get rolled. You can't get upset at someone in that situation. For every Mitch there is 100 Petan's.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hockey players have a 3-4 year shelf life on average in NHL unless contracted. And the contract determines your place on team. Marner is 3rd best guy on team and he is paid as 3rd best guy on team. The Leafs CAP structure is high because their cash flow is even higher. The leafs could double/triple hockey comp and have no issues with payroll. The issue is only the NHL CAP. But rest of league could not compete with Leafs for better guys in a free market unless you have an owner that does not care about losses as it is a tax write-off. So there has to be some kinda better solution like they have in baseball with the tax. But to get pissed off at any 1 player who is trying to get his piece of pie is tough. Anyone in Mitch's shoes would want the most they could get. This was a 6-7 day a week job for Marner's for 15 years to get to this point to bank. Try doing anything at the highest level of your field for 15 years day in day out to get a sniff at banking. Think of the young audit kid at PwC gets paid nothing to little and then a decision is made on partnership after working 6-7 days per week for 10-15 years. He may bank or he may be one of the dozens who get rolled. You can't get upset at someone in that situation. For every Mitch there is 100 Petan's.

Petan got what $700k, last year and will get 1.5mm over the next 2.

However, even AHL players can end up making a very good living.

I don't care how much marner makes, and I could care less if he craps out from here forward, my concern is the impact on the Leafs. So I'd prefer he crap out on someone else's cap.

Reactions: Al14 and Kurtz

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He needs to bounce back, and soon!

The fan base wants our Leafs to achieve the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup. That extra $2.0M he is getting paid would have allowed Dubas to bring in another player to help out. A better backup goalie is still needed.

So, if you want to be highly paid, you better live up to those demands and get right to proving your worth. Thus far, he hasn't shown he is worth his ELC money never mind his huge new pay package.

Same can be said about Nylander and also Matthews.

JMHO.

Not exactly. Matthews and Nylander have brought significantly more this year. They are not perfect, and I expect them to keep making strives to be better, but they have lived up to their deals.

Unfortunately, the same can not be said about Marner at this point.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is not just points, it is the way he is playing the game now. He is not engaging, not buzzing and to some not trying at all. He played like that in his second year and was demoted to the 4th line for a week or two, do you think Babs can do that with his current contract? On top of that he has an A on his jersey, what is that saying to the other players that one of the leaders of the team is just coasting and seem to be only interested in the Ozone during a PP.
I am not blaming him for signing whatever he thinks he deserves but at the same time there is an expectations and obligations for signing that contract, such as productions and being a top performer for the Leafs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Not exactly. Matthews and Nylander have brought significantly more this year. They are not perfect, and I expect them to keep making strives to be better, but they have lived up to their deals.

Significantly more my ass! All three of Matthews, Marner and Nylander have not lived up to their significant dollar increases! JMHO.

I'm not saying our Leafs should be undefeated, but, holy hell, with the new dollars our Me Three are earning, our record should be much, much better IMHO.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

In the NHL there are about 30-40 Mitches. Equal in skill, some better, some not, some greater in different areas...

All took team friendly deals. Mitch was the most egregious in terms of harm to the team, and personal wealth for term/contract.
Yes. Its Dubas who got bent over massively...
But it doesnt mean Marner had to F him.

I'm sure Point, Pasta, Rantanon, got some leverage on the team where they could do some "bending over", but they never unzipped their fly.

Great player. Still young. But hes paid more than Bostons top line, and Bostons top line owns our top line by a country mile as of this season.

Reactions: Al14

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Mitch money is shook right now. He can’t handle the pressure and expectations of his ludicrous contract.

He should have signed a rantanen deal. He would still be rich beyond his dreams and the fans wouldn’t hate his guts. Pressure would be off him and he would be loved across the all leafs nation.

His ego, greed and shitbag dad got in the way and wouldn’t allow him to sign something that wasn’t in the Matthews territory.(which is another garbage contract)

Dubas really f***ed up with these god awful contracts.

Reactions: Kurtz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
In the NHL there are about 30-40 Mitches. Equal in skill, some better, some not, some greater in different areas...

All took team friendly deals. Mitch was the most egregious in terms of harm to the team, and personal wealth for term/contract.
Yes. Its Dubas who got bent over massively...
But it doesnt mean Marner had to F him.

I'm sure Point, Pasta, Rantanon, got some leverage on the team where they could do some "bending over", but they never unzipped their fly.

Great player. Still young. But hes paid more than Bostons top line, and Bostons top line owns our top line by a country mile as of this season.
Colorado and Tampa are life and death to make payroll. Boston has cheapest owner in the business. Toronto banks a couple hundred million minimum every year. It is very hard to compare these situations. It is extremely difficult to negotiate for anyone under these circumstances. It is easy to crap on Dubie. He is lowest paid guy in the bunch. I guess sh*t rolls downhill as they say. Think of a $500K guy holding the $200M cash key negotiating with a 10M guy. and the 10M guy knows the team could pay him 30M and it would be no sweat off their brow.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Colorado and Tampa are life and death to make payroll. Boston has cheapest owner in the business. Toronto banks a couple hundred million minimum every year. It is very hard to compare these situations. It is extremely difficult to negotiate for anyone under these circumstances. It is easy to crap on Dubie. He is lowest paid guy in the bunch. I guess sh*t rolls downhill as they say. Think of a $500K guy holding the $200M cash key negotiating with a 10M guy. and the 10M guy knows the team could pay him 30M and it would be no sweat off their brow.

What you're saying holds merit, but not when you apply the term. The shorter contracts are essentially "More money sooner contracts".

This is a hard cap league. Just because Southern USA and some small market teams cant make $ for profit does not in any way have an effect on the fact that we have our stadium sold out until 2090.
This also comes hand in hand why Southern USA teams always get that gamebreaking PP, and in Toronto we get none. We get penalized actually.

They get paid regardless whether we are at the bottom or at the top. But Tampa, you give them the exact Ref treatment we have seen the past few weeks. It will mean noone even shows up to a hockey game, and even less people buying merch. Nascar tailgates are going to be selling huge suddenly. :laugh:

Only MLSE can keep getting bent over and stomped on by the USA where I bet we are 30 - 40 % of the $$$$

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Nylander 2A 2P in first 11GP after signing his contract:

"Awwwww, give him a chance guys... its a small sample size!!!"

Marner 3G 12P in first 11GP after signing his contract:

"This kid sucks and is overpaid!!! :dunce:"

Never change, HF... :rolleyes:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You mean:

Nylander: 4 even strength points in 11GP
Marner: 1 even strength point in 11GP

Why compare them on PP points when Nylander didn't get 1st unit usage?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You mean:

Nylander: 4 even strength points in 11GP
Marner: 1 even strength point in 11GP

Why compare them on PP points when Nylander didn't get 1st unit usage?

Why are you looking at EVP? Why are you misrepresenting EVP?

Nylander had 2 EVP (2 points total) in first 11 GP post contract negotiations
Marner has 5 EVP (12 points total) in first 11 GP post contract negotiations

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

it is not just the Points production but how they are playing.Marner has an A on the jersey, do you see him leading the team shift in and shift out? He wanted the contract, the team gave it to him but he is not performing. If points is the be all end all, why the F did we traded Phil away?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babcocl seemkngly maybbe also less than enthused by Marner's 5v5 play since his minutes here have been reduced

Marner isnt just expected to be a good 1st liner anymore, hes expected to be consistently on of the best wingers in the league on a nightly basis. Generally speaking im usually more.for cutting guys slack dueing down stretches but you dont get to demand the type of salary as he did and then make excuses.

He was one of teams best even strength players last season. And while he was destined to regress in terms.of 5v5 scoring, he wasnt supposed to decline this much.

Fortunately i doubt this is much more than a bad stretch of play. Hes got the skill tp get back at that level -just needs to bring it out on the ice and esrn back that icetime

Reactions: Gallagbi

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach

What have they brought? Games against good teams that play physical, Boston, Washington they sucked against the Habs and they coasted and were rendered invisible because they both bail on getting hit when they are battling for a puck quite a few people on this board see the same and question their heart so its not just me. I was a huge fan of all 3 but I see the same trends rear its ugly head with these guys and makes me really much more than I already do appreciate guys like Clark, Gilmour, Sittler, Sundin etc. played with intensity and heart, the new rich kids just mail it in when the games are tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad