Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Then why is he being paid like a superstar? Huge fail by Dubas. Marner is supposed to make other players better. Hyman should need Marner more than the other way around

Yesterday was a perfect example shown by Montreal who play Joel Armia on the top line with Domi and Drouin. Look how more impactful their stars were when they had a glue player on their line to create time and space and retrieve pucks.. Their coach even said those 2 better not leave Armia out of their plans or they will be separated.

Even when Babcock played Matthews and Marner together his $11 mil players they played very poorly because they never had a Hyman type player on their line and the experiment failed despite those 2 top 5 highest paid forwards who shouldn't need a $2 mil player to drive their line.

I can't wait until Zach is back because I expect him to have a significant impact on momentum changes and how much more effective the stars he plays with will become.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I was reading an article from The Athletic today, and they mentioned that Mitch has been outscored something like 13-5 at 5v5 this season.

Still early, that can change, but it's a pretty terrible start. Personally, I'm more disgusted with his decision making this year. Multiple lazy blind passes per game that get intercepted (I don't remember this last year), and he's now constantly shooting his weak wrister in situations where he should be trying to find a pass. (also didn't happen before this contract).

It's like Bizzaro world with him and his shot. When he should shoot...he tries to make a highlight reel pass and when he should be passing...he tries to muffin shoot it from the blueline. His problem is he is trying to make fancy looking passes instead of just making a good pass to the right guy. He is CONSTANTLY trying to fit passes into tiny windows so people will marvel at his skill level. He is trying to prove his contract was worth it by being on Sportscenter clips after the game.

I think he was really surprised by the negative reaction to his signing that big deal. I honestly think he thought he was so beloved that people would forget instantly that we now have to play an AHL back up goalie because we have no cap room. Why can't a reporter ask him after a game like last night: "Mitch, do you feel that getting that extra $893K might have prevented Kyle from getting a quality NHL back up goaltender?" What I would pay to see that question asked....

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
It's like Bizzaro world with him and his shot. When he should shoot...he tries to make a highlight reel pass and when he should be passing...he tries to muffin shoot it from the blueline. His problem is he is trying to make fancy looking passes instead of just making a good pass to the right guy. He is CONSTANTLY trying to fit passes into tiny windows so people will marvel at his skill level. He is trying to prove his contract was worth it by being on Sportscenter clips after the game.

I think he was really surprised by the negative reaction to his signing that big deal. I honestly think he thought he was so beloved that people would forget instantly that we now have to play an AHL back up goalie because we have no cap room. Why can't a reporter ask him after a game like last night: "Mitch, do you feel that getting that extra $893K might have prevented Kyle from getting a quality NHL back up goaltender?" What I would pay to see that question asked....
I'd pay to have our timid reporters ask some other questions as well like "Mike, why do you insist on starting your backup on the second night of a b2b against a divisional opponent (Boston, Montreal twice) when you could have started him the first game against weaker Western opponent (Minnesota, San Jose)?" We have been in most of the second games but have found a way to lose those games. I believe a key save would have changed the results of at least two of those games. Hutchinson is not capable of stealing us a game. Not his fault, Hutch is an AHL goalie who has been forced into our backup because moneybags Marner thinks he should be paid as the best winger in the league.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marner is a massive line killer at the moment. Matthews' only two poor games of the season were his ones with Marner. Kapanen looked like a totally new player when he got away from Marner's line. Even Tavares looked bad with him, and Tavares almost never looks bad. Some blame does definitely need to go to Dubas for giving him a contract that everyone knew was awful immediately, but even then it doesn't excuse Marner for going from a great player with an unreasonable contract to a bad player

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yesterday was a perfect example shown by Montreal who play Joel Armia on the top line with Domi and Drouin. Look how more impactful their stars were when they had a glue player on their line to create time and space and retrieve pucks.. Their coach even said those 2 better not leave Armia out of their plans or they will be separated.

Even when Babcock played Matthews and Marner together his $11 mil players they played very poorly because they never had a Hyman type player on their line and the experiment failed despite those 2 top 5 highest paid forwards who shouldn't need a $2 mil player to drive their line.

I can't wait until Zach is back because I expect him to have a significant impact on momentum changes and how much more effective the stars he plays with will become.

But again, Domi and Drouin don't make ~11M each.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Basically.. there's no point in talking contract anymore. All these debbie downers are going to kill this kid. He's already an emotional type of personality. Either the kid gets his confidence back or he gets run out of town by fans and media. He'll flourishes else where and we get slim pickings on a trade.

Just wanted to add.. I find it weird that this kid is getting roasted when he's still played better than both JT and Matty to start and both make more.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Basically.. there's no point in talking contract anymore. All these debbie downers are going to kill this kid. He's already an emotional type of personality. Either the kid gets his confidence back or he gets run out of town by fans and media. He'll flourishes else where and we get slim pickings on a trade.

Just wanted to add.. I find it weird that this kid is getting roasted when he's still played better than both JT and Matty to start and both make more.
They're talking about Marner, who has been by far the worst of those 3. Points are nice, but he's an outright liability right now

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Then why is he being paid like a superstar? Huge fail by Dubas. Marner is supposed to make other players better. Hyman should need Marner more than the other way around
You know the answer...because hardly any player can do what Marner does. He does give run of the mill players a chance to be better. He doesn't need Hyman . Curious that he has more than a point a game,(most on the team) but yet' he looks off,not doing enough'. Tough crowd! What he really needs (like all the soft ,dipsy doodlers) is a bona-fide power- forward . Not many of those guys around though.

Reactions: ACC1224

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You know the answer...because hardly any player can do what Marner does. He does give run of the mill players a chance to be better. He doesn't need Hyman . Curious that he has more than a point a game,(most on the team) but yet' he looks off,not doing enough'. Tough crowd! What he really needs (like all the soft ,dipsy doodlers) is a bona-fide power- forward . Not many of those guys around though.

I understand that. I am just pissed at the whole team right now. They can be better.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Dubas has created the softest, most unlikable group of players in the history of the NHL. Even during the crap years at least they tried, and put on an entertaining product. SHAME! on them.... SHAME!...
So then,you're not watching anymore...or you just enjoy being in 'that mood'?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I understand that. I am just pissed at the whole team right now. They can be better.
It's cuz they losin'! I feel it! ...looking for legitimate reasons why they 're losin,. thinkin about solutions ,line combos,hatin on the coach...Face it,if they had won any of those B2B's ,the sky wouldn't be falling!

This team was assembled for talent/speed...they have plenty of that!A return of the gritty Hyman(don't like him as a top 6,but whatever) and the budding all-around Dman Dermott should really help...not to mention that other 40 goal scoring Centerman. The return of these guys should ensure that Babs keeps his job. Be positive my man...it will get better!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's cuz they losin'! I feel it! ...looking for legitimate reasons why they 're losin,. thinkin about solutions ,line combos,hatin on the coach...Face it,if they had won any of those B2B's ,the sky wouldn't be falling!

This team was assembled for talent/speed...they have plenty of that!A return of the gritty Hyman(don't like him as a top 6,but whatever) and the budding all-around Dman Dermott should really help...not to mention that other 40 goal scoring Centerman. The return of these guys should ensure that Babs keeps his job. Be positive my man...it will get better!

I don't know, do you actually want Babs to keep his job? Is that positive? :popcorn:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't know, do you actually want Babs to keep his job? Is that positive? :popcorn:
No...I've seen enough as of last year...but,he was given 2 new assistants and I was thinking they would have some input. I am willing to wait and see what a healthy/full roster can do. As well as some improved goaltending.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He’s been playing like garbage but is still on pace for 94 points (last season total)

That speaks volumes on the quality of player that Mitch is.

Regardless, he needs to wake up. But it’s way too early to be panicking

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

I agree with your first paragraph 100%...It's done..Roasting him as you say serves no purpose now...He's a sensitive kid who unfortunately seems to have an overbearing dad and left all the financial stuff to him and his agent. I too don't think he expected this backlash from a city and organization he loved/loves. Time for us to let it go and let the kid recapture the skills and drive he has shown to have. When you let things fester that can't be changed it's not healthy...Let it gooooo. As for the second paragraph I think all 3 of the "11 millionaires" are playing equally poorly...Give it time.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad