Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You might want to consider that our coach isn't as good as you think he is. Lots of flaws. Same flaws that Detroit fans warned us about the minute he was signed. So far, things are playing out EXACTLY as they predicted.

Six consecutive 1st round exits for this genius. Keep those blinders on if it makes you happy I guess.
Who said Babcock was a genius? Why do you keep saying Babcock is a genius? Where are you getting this from?

Is it because I'm blaming Dubas?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Who said Babcock was a genius? Why do you keep saying Babcock is a genius? Where are you getting this from?

Is it because I'm blaming Dubas?

I think it's these comments you made:

"He can only work with what he's got."
"Babcock isn't a miracle worker"

So I guess yeah, it's because you're blaming Dubas. I think "what he's got" is one of the most talented rosters in the NHL.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Watched last nights game again on 2x speed.

The one thing Marner always had was tenacity. How many times last year did Marner give up the puck and then back check like a dog to get it back? Tons!!

This year..... not so much.... Something has taken the wind out of the sails of our team.
You don't become a completely different player in 1 year, at 22yo..... it just doesn't happen.

It looks like he went from caring a little too much last year (Just being too hard on himself for giveaways etc.) to barely caring at all. Like all the fun has been removed, and maybe it has after that bloated contract. It's not the same being the baby faced star on ELC that everyone loves to over paid winger that basically has to put up consistent 100 points seasons to justify nearly 11mil, and now people aren't so friendly.

We all talk about grit, and toughness, but sometimes just having fun and loving the game you have always played is just as important.

Like I said in a different thread... Something stinks on this team, but I'm not sure exactly what that stink is.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You might want to consider that our coach isn't as good as you think he is. Lots of flaws. Same flaws that Detroit fans warned us about the minute he was signed. So far, things are playing out EXACTLY as they predicted.

Six consecutive 1st round exits for this genius. Keep those blinders on if it makes you happy I guess.

bUt He WoN gOlD wItH tEaM cAnAdA!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean if he leads the league in scoring I think it will do a lot in helping the team win. I get the sentiment of players wanting to win more than having personal success. A lot of the times though, a players persoanl success is what helps drive a team to winning
McDavid pretty much led the league in scoring the last 2-3 seasons.
I get your point.
What I am trying to say is that as long as the team is winning and dominating, I could careless if none of the Leafs score over 80pts.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The one thing Marner always had was tenacity. How many times last year did Marner give up the puck and then back check like a dog to get it back? Tons!!

This year..... not so much.... Something has taken the wind out of the sails of our team.
You don't become a completely different player in 1 year, at 22yo..... it just doesn't happen.

It looks like he went from caring a little too much last year (Just being too hard on himself for giveaways etc.) to barely caring at all. Like all the fun has been removed, and maybe it has after that bloated contract. It's not the same being the baby faced star on ELC that everyone loves to over paid winger that basically has to put up consistent 100 points seasons to justify nearly 11mil, and now people aren't so friendly.

We all talk about grit, and toughness, but sometimes just having fun and loving the game you have always played is just as important.

Like I said in a different thread... Something stinks on this team, but I'm not sure exactly what that stink is.

Entitlement.

Reactions: mclaren55 and kb

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

completely agree and it is not just Marner but seems like Matthews, Reilly, and JT are all like that too.
Would give a pass to Barrie bc it is a new team for him.
Willie still need more consistency and end results.
Anyhow, what’s worry me is how the big four-AM,JT,MM and Reilly are playing. They might be getting points and goals but they are not playing hard and doing the little things that they shown they can do the past few seasons.

Reactions: mclaren55

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner isn't playing well for sure, but this thread is a tiny bit hyperbolic. Perhaps that sick young girl who he tweeted about hasn't been doing well for quite a while and that's been weighing on him a lot who knows.

Marner is not the usual marner right now, known for his passing some of his passes and puck handling are marincin level right now. Last night he missed a 3ft pass by 3ft! its really not the marner we know, its a testament that he can still get points though that's for sure. but for his and Matthews (and JT's) price tag points aren't enough they need to be dominating, dominating separately really but they sure as hell don't dominate together. I'd rather see a game Marner truly dominates and get 0 points than what we are seeing right now tbh

Spot on.

No denying hes been lackluster - especially given the ee expectations for his play.

But this is just a momentary blip -it wont last. And at least hes been putting up points even if henhasnt exacy been driving play as hes capable of

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Marner played management for fools. How Magic Mitch tricked them into forgetting how many wingers JT made rich is astonishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlu

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Entitlement.
As hard I have been on Mitch, he doesn't seem like an entitled kid, but he along with others might have had enough of the coach. With that being said, mature during negotiations is a weakness for him.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hes got 2 ES points ... 2 ! !!!!
puts him 3rd last on the team. He has to wake up. clearly it seems to me that tavares is the engine that gets him running. so without tavares we are paying a 6 mil guy 11 mil ..

hes just been HORRIBLE

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As hard I have been on Mitch, he doesn't seem like an entitled kid, but he along with others might have had enough of the coach. With that being said, mature during negotiations is a weakness for him.
I think what hurting him is the fact that Point, Rantanen and others signed really team friendly deals with their teams. That put Marner in a really bad position. Even if he beats all the others statistically, unless he wins the Conn Smythe, he will be targeted by Leafs Nation till Point and others signs a bigger contract. And getting the A is a complete joke, I think deep down he knows that too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
puts him 3rd last on the team. He has to wake up. clearly it seems to me that tavares is the engine that gets him running. so without tavares we are paying a 6 mil guy 11 mil ..

hes just been HORRIBLE

Tavares is definitely the driver on the line. Tavares has gotten guys like Anders Lee, Kyle Okposo, Matt Moulson and Josh Bailey (and this is just naming the major ones) big paydays, and Marner is another one to add to the list. Tavares should come out with his own investment fund since he's able to fund everyone's retirement with his returns.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think things have been going well offensively and not as well defensively. Sounds like the team's situation as a whole. He is still leading the forwards in TOI/G, though not by much.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

hes just been HORRIBLE
LOL how many f***ing times did I read this offseason that Mitch was paramount for Tavares putting up the ES totals he did?

Who's carrying who now????

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Mercenary Mitch is paid to be a superstar so it’s disconcerting that tenacity is all he can bring at this point because frankly Kerfoot, Moore and Timashov do it way better and they combine to make about 60% of Marner’s salary.

His point totals don’t matter to me really. He can score at a 90 point pace and I see very little correlation with excellent play shift to shift. He’s typically just soft on the puck, plays cute and still acts like a baby faced rookie in his 4th year while inexplicably having a letter. None of this is good enough.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
LOL how many ****ing times did I read this offseason that Mitch was paramount for Tavares putting up the ES totals he did?

Who's carrying who now????

Maybe Hyman carried them both

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
The one thing Marner always had was tenacity. How many times last year did Marner give up the puck and then back check like a dog to get it back? Tons!!.

This is a very good observation and one I hadn't really thought of until you pointed it out.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think I am at a point where marner is the guy I trade out of the big four first if things dont turn around after this year.

Nylander is living up to his contract and will probably exceed it. Marner is VERY expensive especially when we have two 11 mill centres.

He put this on himself but that contract makes him the most expendable in my eyes. Funny how nylander was scared of being traded but now its marner who should be.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think I am at a point where marner is the guy I trade out of the big four first if things dont turn around after this year.

Nylander is living up to his contract and will probably exceed it. Marner is VERY expensive especially when we have two 11 mill centres.

He put this on himself but that contract makes him the most expendable in my eyes. Funny how nylander was scared of being traded but now its marner who should be.

He put himself out on a limb. Looking around at other contenders his player type isn’t integral to a championship run. And he isn’t Patrick Kane. Kane holds the puck to the point of yo yo’ing. He’s crisp and has killer instinct whereas Mitch makes cute and soft plays and “tries hard.”

He’s the first player I move on from for that big upgrade on defense. He is no doubt an excellent producer but he’s playing his way out of town.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Check with Columbus if josh Anderson, Seth Jones or a combination of prospects or pucks are available.
Marner can rebound in columbusy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad