Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why are you looking at EVP? Why are you misrepresenting EVP?

Nylander had 2 EVP (2 points total) in first 11 GP post contract negotiations
Marner has 5 EVP (12 points total) in first 11 GP post contract negotiations

I was reading an article from The Athletic today, and they mentioned that Mitch has been outscored something like 13-5 at 5v5 this season.

Still early, that can change, but it's a pretty terrible start. Personally, I'm more disgusted with his decision making this year. Multiple lazy blind passes per game that get intercepted (I don't remember this last year), and he's now constantly shooting his weak wrister in situations where he should be trying to find a pass. (also didn't happen before this contract).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner is having an early season slump, unfortunately it coincides with JT slumping And then being injured. He will come good again and be that top 20 player in the league his contract says he is.

I doubt he ever outperforms this contract but I also doubt it ever becomes an albatross contract, it will always be just a fair to slightly above fair deal

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
credit to him. I thought he had a strong overall game and even though he killed offense left and right and struggled with transition at times, he got 2 points and had good underlying numbers. Still a lot of improving to do but that game started off terribly and ended up a positive step for him

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner is having an early season slump, unfortunately it coincides with JT slumping And then being injured. He will come good again and be that top 20 player in the league his contract says he is.

I doubt he ever outperforms this contract but I also doubt it ever becomes an albatross contract, it will always be just a fair to slightly above fair deal

I think people are forgetting he's usually a bit of a slower starter and turns it up as the season goes on. He'll be fine, and if you think he needs Tavares I don't know what to say. He was over a point per game player for the last half of the season before Tavares showed up and also our best player in the playoffs before Tavares.

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
credit to him. I thought he had a strong overall game and even though he killed offense left and right and struggled with transition at times, he got 2 points and had good underlying numbers. Still a lot of improving to do but that game started off terribly and ended up a positive step for him
Or he got lucky with two fluke assists.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think people are forgetting he's usually a bit of a slower starter and turns it up as the season goes on. He'll be fine, and if you think he needs Tavares I don't know what to say. He was over a point per game player for the last half of the season before Tavares showed up and also our best player in the playoffs before Tavares.
No excuses

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
the superstars on this team are a joke. They are 1 dimensional players who put up usless points against garbage teams but when its push come to shove they disappear.
its enough with this crowning players because they put up a bunch of points in garbage time and secondary assists.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Shift to shift, Marner looks like trash. The fact that he gets points is irrelevant to the discussion. He is not worth his money and wouldn't be in my Leafs plans long term.

I used to be on the trade Nylander wagon. Well after this contract and this display, I’m changing wagons. We can and we will went out the ****ing window when we failed to get a discount on ANYONE

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
TWO 5v5 points through the first 11 games. Do not tell me he is playing fine because of his ****ing stat line. Literally has done nothing at even strength this entire season. I think his best play was that spinorama pass in game 2(?) on the PP. Well since then he’s tried about a dozen of those and they’ve all resulted in nothing or an easy turnover.

15P in 13GP is an absolute miracle. Anyone have his EV GF vs GA?

edit: xGF/GA worst on team:

Barrie: 1.5/3.3 (-1.8)
Kapanen 0.9/2.6 (-1.7)
Marner: 1.3/2.6 (-1.3)
Tavares next worst.
Sadly, Matthews has the best numbers on the team at 2.1/1.3 (+0.8), while Rielly and Muzzin have the best xGF (2.4 and 2.6, respectively)

We’re ragging on Barrie pretty hard. Kapanen has those numbers from his time on Marner’s line, he’s been solid since. Marner is next on the chopping block.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Marner is done here. He’s going to have to be shipped out and we’re gonna have to pay 50% of his salary.

Dubas is going down in history as the dumbest GM to ever live.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner will be better when Hyman returns.

With both his linemates JT and Zach out of action, Marner is simply not the same player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad