Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I would say he has been underwhelming for sure, he does however have 12 points in 11 games. If that is is his scoring when he is meh, I'm pumped to see him when he fully hits his stride.
He could be leading the League in scoring till the end of the season, But what’s the point if the team still lost? McDavid would trade in all this personal awards to be playing in the playoffs and winning in the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Paul wanted him to have the C!

His play is cute... does his skillset scream elite talent? Serious question.

He doesn't have elite speed, he doesn't have an elite shot, he doesn't have elite stickhandling. Nylander is better at threading the needle... Marner has deceptive passing...but I'd argue that alot of his deceptive passes end up on opponents sticks.

Put him with Johnsson and Kapanen like Matthew's last season, and does he break 65 points?

Since his london days... his worst linemates have been JVR, Bozak and Kadri. He's been very fortunate with linemates.

We've obviously seen him have his junior hockey lows and his high octane offensive highs, but he has been extremely sheltered offensively throughout the course of his career and has feasted on compiling points.

His whole brand, game, image is too cute and it's got to stop and he has to grow up and get serious. The whole precocious kid thing is nice when you're a teenage rookie, but especially now that he's wearing the 'A' it looks off.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I have no sympathy when I see 22 million being outplayed all game. 7 million nylander pissing me off as well. Can’t wait for these guys to dominate first round of the playoffs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Do you think Marner is hearing all kinds of crap in the locker room? Do you think Matthews, Willie and others are being held accountable in the locker room?
Do you think other guys respect them behind their back?
Attitude is a reflection of Leadership.
None of these guys are leading by examples, and we expect others to mop up for them?
These guys are talented but they lack characters and the only way to build characters is to fight for it. These guys don’t have fight in their eyes. Maybe it is good that they are struggling and Freddie is not bailing them out, the sooner they realize they are not as good as they think, they sooner they should begin to work harder and fight for everything. At least that what I am hoping.

Reactions: Cobra777

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
This is just the tip of the ice berg. Marners contract is going to be an irritant for fans indefinitely. Over the next few years he will take the blame for the leafs atrocious back up goaltending and losing of all kinds of fan favourite players from trades or free agency. All because it was a smart move to go last in contract negotiations...what a moron. Its all blowing up in his face now and its not like he wasn't warned publicly by many in the media. I cant believe these idiots in management talked themselves into thinking it was a brilliant move to pay 4 players half the cap.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
He could be leading the League in scoring till the end of the season, But what’s the point if the team still lost? McDavid would trade in all this personal awards to be playing in the playoffs and winning in the playoffs.
Can you get that in writing?

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
This is just the tip of the ice berg. Marners contract is going to be an irritant for fans indefinitely. Over the next few years he will take the blame for the leafs atrocious back up goaltending and losing of all kinds of fan favourite players from trades or free agency. All because it was a smart move to go last in contract negotiations...what a moron. Its all blowing up in his face now and its not like he wasn't warned publicly by many in the media. I cant believe these idiots in management talked themselves into thinking it was a brilliant move to pay 4 players half the cap.
Replace Marner with Nylander, and you're pretty much spot on.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
tbh he doesn't quite look like a 9.25 - 9.5 player right now. But he's probably missing JT and Babcock doesn't realize that Marner doesn't click with AM34.
I think Babcock absolutely realizes that Marner and Matthews don't work, thus, not having paired them in 3 years.

Babcock is a clever old fox and he's probably showing the fans that have been complaining about Babcock being too stubborn to put them together. The fans wanted this pairing, the fans have got this pairing. Babcock was 100% right about this, this whole time and the fans were wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra777

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think Babcock absolutely realizes that Marner and Matthews don't work, thus, not having paired them in 3 years.

Babcock is a clever old fox and he's probably showing the fans that have been complaining about Babcock being too stubborn to put them together. The fans wanted this pairing, the fans have got this pairing. Babcock was 100% right about this, this whole time and the fans were wrong.

Ya Babcock's a genius. I mean no other coach could have possibly coaxed the stellar performances out of this team that we've witnessed since the beginning of 2019. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Ya Babcock's a genius. I mean no other coach could have possibly coaxed the stellar performances out of this team that we've witnessed since the beginning of 2019. :biglaugh::biglaugh:
He can only work with what he's got. His best players don't give a f***, and his GM has given him Ceci and Barrie as some sort of defensive solution. Hos GM also took away the only NHL back up he had and replaced him with non NHL backups. His GM also removed any level of pushback this team had

Babcock isn't a miracle worker.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He can only work with what he's got. His best players don't give a ****, and his GM has given him Ceci and Barrie as some sort of defensive solution. Hos GM also took away the only NHL back up he had and replaced him with non NHL backups. His GM also removed any level of pushback this team had

Babcock isn't a miracle worker.

If you think Babcock is getting the most that can be gotten out of this roster ... man, I don't even know what to say to you.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If you think Babcock is getting the most that can be gotten out of this roster ... man, I don't even know what to say to you.
Don't have to say anything to me.

This roster isn't as good as a lot of people think it is. Lots of flaws. Same flaws that have haunted the Leafs for a while now. Dubas just decided to double down on those flaws, and then some. Mike has to work with a GM that thought giving 4 players nearly 50% of the cap space allotted to a team was a good idea.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don't have to say anything to me.

This roster isn't as good as a lot of people think it is. Lots of flaws. Same flaws that have haunted the Leafs for a while now. Dubas just decided to double down on those flaws, and then some. Mike has to work with a GM that thought giving 4 players nearly 50% of the cap space allotted to a team was a good idea.

You might want to consider that our coach isn't as good as you think he is. Lots of flaws. Same flaws that Detroit fans warned us about the minute he was signed. So far, things are playing out EXACTLY as they predicted.

Six consecutive 1st round exits for this genius. Keep those blinders on if it makes you happy I guess.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner is looking like a lost puppy without JT

Indeed he is. Only recently there were heated arguments about who benefited more from Marner and JT playing together. I never gave it much thought myself, it just seemed pretty obvious that they both benefited but these last few games without JT have been ... I guess you could say educational in that regard.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner isn't playing well for sure, but this thread is a tiny bit hyperbolic. Perhaps that sick young girl who he tweeted about hasn't been doing well for quite a while and that's been weighing on him a lot who knows.

Marner is not the usual marner right now, known for his passing some of his passes and puck handling are marincin level right now. Last night he missed a 3ft pass by 3ft! its really not the marner we know, its a testament that he can still get points though that's for sure. but for his and Matthews (and JT's) price tag points aren't enough they need to be dominating, dominating separately really but they sure as hell don't dominate together. I'd rather see a game Marner truly dominates and get 0 points than what we are seeing right now tbh

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Indeed he is. Only recently there were heated arguments about who benefited more from Marner and JT playing together. I never gave it much thought myself, it just seemed pretty obvious that they both benefited but these last few games without JT have been ... I guess you could say educational in that regard.

To be fair, it's not like JT and Marner were playing very good either.

All the stars show flashes, but there is no consistency. All 4 of them, 5 including Mo, have had great games, but then have disappeared in others.

The only games where I would give all 5 a passing score was St Louis. We lost, but played well at least. Controlled play.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I mean if he leads the league in scoring I think it will do a lot in helping the team win. I get the sentiment of players wanting to win more than having personal success. A lot of the times though, a players persoanl success is what helps drive a team to winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad