Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the season carries on like this I wouldn’t be opposed to putting one of the two wingers on the table for a similarly skilled and aged D man.

Marner is obviously very overpaid and very limited in his all around ability and impact. He’s the first to go for a premium return and to send a message. We’ll trade the guy in the Apple commercial.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Marner is obviously very overpaid and very limited in his all around ability and impact. He’s the first to go for a premium return and to send a message. We’ll trade the guy in the Apple commercial.

But isn't his value tied to being a native of this city? Other markets might not see that value.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But isn't his value tied to being a native of this city? Other markets might not see that value.

I think other teams have their own problems and may need offensive production which we have a surplus of. If they can't figure it out, then this formula is wrong as we'll have to change it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I would have bridged or sat Marner.

I said his value was at an all time high and it was the worst time to commit to him.

== Bridge.
Agreed 100%

You can really see why Marner's camp was pushing for that 5-6 year deal though. They knew full well that the stars aligned for them last year and they need to cash in ASAP.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
as someone who generally really likes Dubas' work and Marner, I'm really unsure if giving him that contract was a good idea. Yeah it would suck if Marner was still unsigned until now, but I'd almost prefer it in light of how terribly he's playing.
He'd be done for the year if he wasn't signed.

I do wonder if Marner regrets it more than Dubas. Things started going south before he even inked the deal and it's just gotten worse.

Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He'd be done for the year if he wasn't signed.

I do wonder if Marner regrets it more than Dubas. Things started going south before he even inked the deal and it's just gotten worse.

It’s Marner’s own fault. Even if he wasn’t going to take a “team friendly deal” he could have negotiated in a more amicable way. In the end he came across as the greediest of all RFA’s and will likely never have the ability to live up to the contract.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s Marner’s own fault. Even if he wasn’t going to take a “team friendly deal” he could have negotiated in a more amicable way. In the end he came across as the greediest of all RFA’s and will likely never have the ability to live up to the contract.
Agreed and that's what I wonder if he regrets. He's gone from the golden boy to the goat and it happened before he signed. The pressure has broke him so far.

Reactions: kb

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm sure getting $16m this year for not breaking a sweat will help him with any regrets
Doubt it, it's not fun to be hated and he's feeling that right now.

I don't feel sorry for him, he brought this on himself, but I'm betting he regrets it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would say he has been underwhelming for sure, he does however have 12 points in 11 games. If that is is his scoring when he is meh, I'm pumped to see him when he fully hits his stride.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Been absolutely terrible this whole season.
I dont care about the money ( we are under the cap) and i dont care that he has a ton of 2ndary assists.
He doesnt drive the play.
He is dragging down JT and Matthews.
He passes to noone on the ice like just passes to the void.
Somehow he thinks he has Matthews shot and he shoots more this season. Why?
He gives the puck away non stop. And its not just the Jackets game (2 goal night for him :-P) but the whole season.

Not to mention im really f***in tired of this "kid" narrative. Grow up. Got your responsibilty with the A ... play like one.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
My problem with Mitch is that he gets points but he doesn't really have a dominant impact on the game. He will always get his totals up and on paper looks great. But has he really driven any play at all this year? Besides the occasional touch pass? He needs to be buzzin around the zone controlling possession.

striker3

Mar 26, 2019
I’m not sure this warrants another thread talking about him but I haven’t posted in the others.

At the end of the day the average poster here is probably expecting 90-100 points from Mitch, as am I (which he’s on pace for by the way). If it’s a little more great, if it’s a little less that’s still a good year.

Now the average poster here also only looked at 94 points last year (in the 60’s the 2 years before) and thought damn that’s a good year pay him and he’s going to get 100 like it’s nothing. It’s the NHL and he’s playing elite players whether it’s a 1st or 4th line, ups and downs are common in the NHL.
If any player in the NHL is putting up over a PPG and they’re going through a slump they are doing something right.

This year he’s being looked at through a magnifying glass which is expected with his contract. But if you want a perfect all around game game in and game out you’re not going to see it.
At times this year he has been lacking these traits but what you’re getting is a guy who is going to put up points, he’s going to have the puck on his stick and he’s going to leave it all on the ice when it’s all said and done.

edit: for easier reading

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Been absolutely terrible this whole season.
I dont care about the money ( we are under the cap) and i dont care that he has a ton of 2ndary assists.
He doesnt drive the play.
He is dragging down JT and Matthews.
He passes to noone on the ice like just passes to the void.
Somehow he thinks he has Matthews shot and he shoots more this season. Why?
He gives the puck away non stop. And its not just the Jackets game (2 goal night for him :-P) but the whole season.

Not to mention im really ****in tired of this "kid" narrative. Grow up. Got your responsibilty with the A ... play like one.
Paul wanted him to have the C!

His play is cute... does his skillset scream elite talent? Serious question.

He doesn't have elite speed, he doesn't have an elite shot, he doesn't have elite stickhandling. Nylander is better at threading the needle... Marner has deceptive passing...but I'd argue that alot of his deceptive passes end up on opponents sticks.

Put him with Johnsson and Kapanen like Matthew's last season, and does he break 65 points?

Since his london days... his worst linemates have been JVR, Bozak and Kadri. He's been very fortunate with linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->