Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
Sometimes a product is constructed to make it that way.
I remember watching the Gilmour/Clark team that never won a Cup but I felt every loss and felt losing in the playoffs as much as they did.

Today, not so much. What do you do when you don't like the style you are seeing? The way the team is built. I mean passion is one thing, but what do you do when you find yourself in a relationship where there is no passion. For those of us that like to see a certain style, it's difficult to just say I enjoy this. Passion doesn't need to be toxic ok, but for many there appears to be none. Problem.
Everyone processes things differently and for all those who love certain players, certain styles, we can't just expect everyone to love it. If I don't expect you to love physical aggressive hockey, how can you expect others not too? The arguments become love it this way. But not all do.
Fully agree. I think is is exactly what I think most fans "hating" on this team really feel.. well said.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
What a tragic indictment of or education system that someones math skills would allow them to think this . This years numbers are actually close to last year not his rookie year bud , Math it's fundamental - Fun Da Mental .
Points by the 20 game mark;
Rookie year: 16 points
2nd year: 13 points
3rd year: 26 points

4th year (current): 17 points in 15 games

Seems like he is a little slow starting in his 2nd year but the rookie one is pretty close to his season pace.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Please tell me this is satire.

You do realize Matthew's makes more money and for less term right?
And is a much much more valuable player.
We are the only team in the league paying a winger (who clearly does not drive his line or score goals) $11 million a year

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We have 3 UFA D next year and no goalies the year after that. Something needs to happen.

Well they have $15.9 mill in project cap space next off-season. Dermott + Sandin + Lily (the latter two should be on the team) are making probably in the $5 million ballpark collectively. That leaves $10.9 million for the remainder.

Marner's been a high end player for a good portion of his career so moving him because of a slight overpay isn't the way to go. If you look at Draisaitl's contract - which was an overpay at the time - and how that looks today with his play I would say Mitch can follow that sort of ability to grow into the contract to make it look reasonable. It won't be the bargain that Draisaitl's looks now, but Mitch's deal could be seen as justified with a certain level of production.

The point being is was looked like a gross overpay at the time has worked out because the Oiler's paid for the potential that Draisaitl is reaching. That's what we're hoping for with Mitch.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So because he's playing with two players he normally doesn't play with, you're wondering why his passes aren't connecting? It's almost like there are these things called practices where linemates work together to set up plays. How well would Pastrnak be doing on a line without Bergeron and Marchand?

That's not really a legitimate excuse. If you're a playmaking winger and you're on a line with teammates with whom you have less experience playing with, dumb it down, make crisp clean decisions and cut out all the telepathic nonsense you can try with your other long term linemates. There's no excuse here.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Our $11M man needs an elite centre as well as another good, physical player on the wing in order for him to produce and succeed.

Franchise player material right there.

Rantanen-MacKinnon

McDavid-Draisaitl

Kuznetsov/Backstrom-Ovi

RoR-Tarasenko

etc....

perhaps besides Crosby and McDavid no other player in the entire league is capable of doing it on their own

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
What a tragic indictment of or education system that someones math skills would allow them to think this . This years numbers are actually close to last year not his rookie year bud , Math it's fundamental - Fun Da Mental .

I have no idea what you are talking about. Care to be a little more clear?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He isn't providing much to this team right now.
do you watch games? or only make agenda-driven posts. He set up 3 great chances tonight (petan blown chance, the play where he protected the puck and gave to I think Tavares who passed to goat in front of the net and he blew it and the Matthews one-timer on the pp). He also had several shifts (his line and him) were able to hold the puck and kept the possession going, they had the big shift in the 2nd where the comeback began. Had multiple good plays on the penalty kill.

Marner was a top 3 forward tonight, better than 88 and 34, he has had games where he was similar to those two and got points but was not great. Overall he has been a top 2 forward on the year and has been playing great hockey. Your posts are so far from reality it is hard to take them as anything but blatant lies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Regarding what I said earlier, I think some people misconstrue. Not liking what we see is fine, all kinds of criticism is fine. There are things I loathe with how we play too.

My point was: Don't let that be all that matters for you, and please don't let that be the only thing you bring to the boards. For your own sake and ours.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
More on topic, I'm starting to think that the main issue with Marner right now is off the puck. Last season he was a shark jumping on loose pucks left and right. He doesn't quite do that this season. The dominance becomes flashes because he doesn't have the puck on his stick as much.

He did have some flashes tonight. The things that annoyed me so much in the first 10ish games are largely gone. His play 5v6 annoyed me though. I think he had the puck on his stick four times in his shift and on three of them it got turned over inside the blue line, and the last didn't get across the red line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
More on topic, I'm starting to think that the main issue with Marner right now is off the puck. Last season he was a shark jumping on loose pucks left and right. He doesn't quite do that this season. The dominance becomes flashes because he doesn't have the puck on his stick as much.

He did have some flashes tonight. The things that annoyed me so much in the first 10ish games are largely gone. His play 5v6 annoyed me though. I think he had the puck on his stick four times in his shift and on three of them it got turned over inside the blue line, and the last didn't get across the red line.

Some people are driven by winning and some money etc. The identity of this team seems to be that of a talented group of players that wanted to financially secure themselves. The primary goal was achieved and so the motivating factor is article B, winning. The core support group looks to the leaders and the leaders are preserving wealth and their health above doing what it takes to win on a game to game basis.

Seen it many times and it's a sad state of affairs. The only thing left is for the group to redefine themselves and get over the finances and put their focus on each other and working hard with sacrifice to win.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Regarding what I said earlier, I think some people misconstrue. Not liking what we see is fine, all kinds of criticism is fine. There are things I loathe with how we play too.

My point was: Don't let that be all that matters for you, and please don't let that be the only thing you bring to the boards. For your own sake and ours.
Here's a good barometer I think. We're all Leafs fans, so anytime someone scores, contributes, makes a nice play, it's a positive, full stop. If somewhere in your psyche you're actually unhappy a player succeeded that helped the team you supposedly love, you've now lost the plot completely. Critiques, criticism, debating certain stats, but at the end of the day, a player's success is invariably the Leafs success, so that should supercede all. Don't be so insecure, we're all just passengers here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He had 1 giveaway and 5 takeaways recorded last night.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/game/los-angeles-kings-toronto-maple-leafs-20191105#/home

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is now the TOP player in the league on takeaways, a full 4 clear of second. This is one of the glaring problems with the critics, they're just ignoring what doesn't suit their "narratives". Marner was very effective last night, the 5 takeaways aren't an accident, it's a testament to working your goddam ass off.

Again TOPS in the league on a pure hustle category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad